Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI

Go down 
+12
Sutremaine
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
myeerah
BadficReadings
bleachedblackcat
KelinciHutan
Selenite
karmyn31
Lapin
Jesus.
Malganis
Dr. Professor Science
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI Empty
PostSubject: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 7:41 pm

Thomas Kinkade, Painter of Light [tm] busted for DUI. That should be a link to a news article but instead it's to a blog which links to a news article because I love Film Drunk.

Quote :
Kinkade was booked into the Monterey County Jail on suspicion of misdemeanor drunken driving. Kinkade did submit to a blood test; however, the CHP is not releasing his blood-alcohol level. The arresting officer reported that Kinkade was “very polite” during the exchange.
I can't say I'm not feeling a little bit of schadenfreude.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BRILLIANT ARTIST.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:07 pm

'Kay, let's break this down:

The houses on the right look like they'd be too far away from the water to give off a reflection onto it... I don't think their Radioactive Glowing Windows of Doom are that powerful.

Why is the pathway on the extreme left glowing with a reflection from the windows? I mean, is it wet? Is it shiny? Is it incredibly slick, just waiting to have some poor sod slip on it and tumble down into the Babbling Brook [tm] and drown? It looks like it's made of a sheet of glass, or something. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Why are the windows all glowing that damn much? It's not that dark out that they would be that noticeable yet...
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:09 pm

*turns in my art licence* I like it.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:11 pm

Jesus. wrote:
*turns in my art licence* I like it.

Kinkade's art is scary as crap when looked at in a certain light, so it can be ironically enjoyed. Wink [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:13 pm

His work has never been quite right to me. It's just odd-looking.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:24 pm

HOW DARE YOU PETER O'TOOLE? YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME.

Also that painting is hideous. I love how everyone is so awed by the beauty of this horrible horrible painting.

Seriously though how do you make a painting into a movie?

Also also no seriously he trademarked the phrase "Thomas Kinkade, Painter of Light" and now I owe him money.
Back to top Go down
karmyn31
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
karmyn31

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 9:36 pm

I'm more an Al Hogue fan myself, but that's partly because I know his parents.

Haven't seen the Thomas Kincade movie, but I must say that Jared Padalecki looks adorable in the knit cap. And I hear that he and Peter O'Toole got along really well and enjoyed working together. But then Jared is a total sweetie.
Back to top Go down
Selenite

Selenite

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Decent composition. Actual technical skills are there. Tacky colors and subject matter.
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 2:00 pm

Thomas Kinkade paintings are pretty, but that's about all you can say for him. Because all of them look exactly the same. Three others, for comparison purposes.

Spoiler:

I wouldn't mind having one around for the eye-candy, but I'm actually vaguely surprised he's managed to make a career out of being so blatantly derivative. Never underestimate the public taste for garbage, I suppose.

EDIT: Google image search also yielded this, and it's too funny not to share.

Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Oh god, that last picture. I want that in my house now!

His stuff isn't the best, but it's still a lot better then most other 'art' people have in their houses. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
BadficReadings

BadficReadings

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 2:27 pm

Seriously, there isn't anything wrong with this art. Nobody I know can draw and paint like that and it does take a lot of talent to get things as good as he does. It's not something I'd choose to buy because I like more modern looking stuff and would be far more likely to buy something looking like this:

But just because my personal preference for art is different, doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the work of Thomas Kinkade.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/BadficReadings
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 2:53 pm

I've never been a fan of Kinkade. I have an absolute shit eye for art, but his work is saccharine and dull.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 4:08 pm

And I like that picture. And if a guy is DUI, it shouldn't matter what he does for a living, he's still breaking the law and putting his and other people's lives in danger.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 4:50 pm

I really like the detail and hyper-real colours and the compositions are generally pleasant, but I wish he'd paint something other than pastoral scenes. He also makes moving water look like it's made out of moulded plastic.

That garden path in the one with the well would be really great had the rest of the garden looked as though it had just finished being rained on.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Nihilist wrote:

Two words: artistic license.

His work doesn't sit well with me because of how safe it is. In the various art communities I'm part of, painting safe, beautiful landscapes for the sole purpose of making money screams "Sellout!" Sure, if you're desperate for cash, I suppose. I don't knock anyone who does this stuff because it does take skill to be able to create a convincing painting like that. They're just too safe, too guaranteed, and too empty in terms of content. When it comes to Kinkade I don't critique his technique because it's there- it's just so bland, derivative, boring, and makes me think he really has no imagination. Not saying he doesn't, just that we're so different, and I haven't had the artistic ambition beaten out of me by my inability to pay the bills on time. And hey, he gets steady cash flow. So did the creative team behind Avatar, and that movie was shit. I'd have given both arms to be on the CGI crew- look at how much money that made. But he's got something good going for him.

I just, don't understand his work, because to me it's empty, but to other people he's brilliant. Different strokes, I'm not going to wave my BFA in everyone's face and say I know everything, cos I don't. Some people find beauty in landscapes like that, and it's not my place to tell others what's artistic and what's not.

See, I think this is my problem. It's not bad. It's just...there. And that's weird to me. There's obviously a lot of work going into the paintings but there's no...feeling? I guess? They're oddly empty.
Back to top Go down
Bamshalam
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Bamshalam

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Lapin wrote:
Nihilist wrote:

Two words: artistic license.

His work doesn't sit well with me because of how safe it is. In the various art communities I'm part of, painting safe, beautiful landscapes for the sole purpose of making money screams "Sellout!" Sure, if you're desperate for cash, I suppose. I don't knock anyone who does this stuff because it does take skill to be able to create a convincing painting like that. They're just too safe, too guaranteed, and too empty in terms of content. When it comes to Kinkade I don't critique his technique because it's there- it's just so bland, derivative, boring, and makes me think he really has no imagination. Not saying he doesn't, just that we're so different, and I haven't had the artistic ambition beaten out of me by my inability to pay the bills on time. And hey, he gets steady cash flow. So did the creative team behind Avatar, and that movie was shit. I'd have given both arms to be on the CGI crew- look at how much money that made. But he's got something good going for him.

I just, don't understand his work, because to me it's empty, but to other people he's brilliant. Different strokes, I'm not going to wave my BFA in everyone's face and say I know everything, cos I don't. Some people find beauty in landscapes like that, and it's not my place to tell others what's artistic and what's not.

See, I think this is my problem. It's not bad. It's just...there. And that's weird to me. There's obviously a lot of work going into the paintings but there's no...feeling? I guess? They're oddly empty.
There's no concept behind them. They're very clearly meant for the sole purpose of being decorative, which is why it's hard to really classify them as 'art'.
Back to top Go down
saeku
Fapmaster
Fapmaster

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 12:54 am

BadficReadings wrote:
Words

Is this an "our personal taste in art" thread? Because I've been looking for an excuse to promote Mark Powell, my favouritest artist in the whole wide worldy world.

Spoiler:

warning: dongs
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 6:52 am

I don't think anyone here is in danger of being overwhelmed by highbrow artistic concepts. After all, what is a third of this site dedicated to? Snarking bad fanworks (a concept which is itself subjective, if the number of nausea-inducing squeeing reviews on the worst ones is any indication).
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 7:20 am

If he pays the rent, good on him. It's just not my taste, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 8:02 am

That macabre carnival is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 11:03 am

This is not going to help his future sales, I'd wager.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 11:05 am

Chris91 wrote:
This is not going to help his future sales, I'd wager.

No, but it probably won't hurt them, either.
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 6:42 pm

True... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 5:21 am

What's so GodAwful about him being arrested for DUI?
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI   Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI Empty

Back to top Go down

Thomas Kinkade, brilliant artist, busted for DUI
Page 1 of 1