Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pennsylvania School Accused of Issuing Webcam Laptops to Spy on Students

Go down 
+15
Verandering
Raine
TheHermit
Mikey Go WOOGA
ZoZo
Delcat
Manny
Ayezur
Knorg
Spotts1701
Malganis
KelinciHutan
Azzandra
Miss Prince
Mafiosa
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

Pennsylvania School Accused of Issuing Webcam Laptops to Spy on Students - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania School Accused of Issuing Webcam Laptops to Spy on Students   Pennsylvania School Accused of Issuing Webcam Laptops to Spy on Students - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 8:32 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Lapin wrote:
...There are schools that give out free laptops? What the fuck, what kind of district are these kids living in?

These laptops are probably so old they come from a time when laptops didn't actually exist. Razz

This is actually the richest school district in Pennsylvania, which says something.

They were Macs IIRC

Nihilist wrote:
And this, my friends, is why it's good to learn the underpinnings of your computer and operating system, so you can easily turn the webcam hardware off. Companies bank on 95% of computer users being too afraid of their investments, and not knowledgeable enough to know what's bullshit and what's not. It's going to need an internet connection to connect to the schools' server, and if there's a program doing the reporting, simple. Download a firewall that didn't come with the laptop to block the program. Or find it and uninstall.

But that's expecting a bit too much from a typical userbase, isn't it. Showing knowledge so that a computer company bends to your needs, not the other way around.

Yeah, I don't think I would blame this on the ignorance of the people using the computer AT ALL. The intention of the webcams/software were pretty solid: they were used as a anti-theft device to be remotely activated to take a picture of the thief while they used the computer. The abuse didn't happen because the people using them were ignorant of how to use computah, it was because they assumed that authority figures couldn't be such huge psychotic dicks. All the parents apparently signed a waiver saying: "Yes, I understand that it comes with this software used to prevent theft ect.ect" with nothing that indicated the webcams would be used except after it had been reported stolen.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

Pennsylvania School Accused of Issuing Webcam Laptops to Spy on Students - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania School Accused of Issuing Webcam Laptops to Spy on Students   Pennsylvania School Accused of Issuing Webcam Laptops to Spy on Students - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 8:40 pm

There's a public school district that gives out free Macs?! Do you know what I could sell that for, then claim was stolen?! What a stupid school district!
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania School Accused of Issuing Webcam Laptops to Spy on Students   Pennsylvania School Accused of Issuing Webcam Laptops to Spy on Students - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 11:36 pm

Mafiosa wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Lapin wrote:
...There are schools that give out free laptops? What the fuck, what kind of district are these kids living in?

These laptops are probably so old they come from a time when laptops didn't actually exist. Razz

This is actually the richest school district in Pennsylvania, which says something.

They were Macs IIRC

So...

They wanted to see the schoolchildren suffer AND waste a lot of money? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania School Accused of Issuing Webcam Laptops to Spy on Students   Pennsylvania School Accused of Issuing Webcam Laptops to Spy on Students - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pennsylvania School Accused of Issuing Webcam Laptops to Spy on Students
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2