Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts

Go down 
+11
Dr. Professor Science
myeerah
Mikey Go WOOGA
Chaltab
TheHermit
Jocelyn
Chris91
KelinciHutan
thebonerules
The Unoriginal
Spotts1701
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts Empty
PostSubject: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptySat May 08, 2010 11:03 am

Link

Quote :
Five students were sent home from Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill on Wednesday for wearing American flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo.

One day later, tension on campus still bristles. About 50 students carrying a Mexican flag walked out of classes Thursday morning.

Sorry, but the school is dead wrong (and not even the Superintendent is backing school administrators on this one). They were told to turn their shirts inside out or go home over concerns that fights would start, not that they had already caused disruptions. So there is no ground for the school to violate these students' First Amendment protections.

I mean, I'm all in favor of certain rights being curtailed within the school setting under certain circumstances...but this isn't one of them.
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptySat May 08, 2010 11:36 am

[quote="Spotts1701"]Link

Quote :
Five students were sent home from Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill on Wednesday for wearing American flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo.

I need to Google moar about the Cinco de Mayo, but it seems to me that either you send home both groups, or neither.
Back to top Go down
thebonerules

thebonerules

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:05 pm

I don't know how the system works in California, but where I went to school the administrators had final say on what was or was not appropriate clothing, period. Usually I'll side with the administrators, but here they are wrong. For more on how wrong they are, please see Tinker v. Des Moines. (edit: even better, read the actual ruling here)

Also not that Cinco de Mayo is not really a Mexican holiday, and is only observed regionally there (according to wikipedia).
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:06 pm

Honestly, I wish I were more surprised about this sort of nonsense than I am. Yes, the school is wrong. Totally wrong. But, I've heard about this same thing happening with other sorts of shirts, so why not American flag ones?

Last edited by KelinciHutan on Sat May 08, 2010 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptySat May 08, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm facepalming so hard they can hear it in Toronto. Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts 199471
Back to top Go down
Jocelyn

Jocelyn

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptySun May 09, 2010 5:00 pm

Actually, I saw a source that the kids were NOT sent home "for wearing American flag shirts"...but rather because WHILE wearing American flag shirts, they instigated several fights with hispanic fellow students. I'll see if I can find the link.
Back to top Go down
http://jocelyncs.livejournal.com
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptySun May 09, 2010 5:24 pm

Jocelyn wrote:
Actually, I saw a source that the kids were NOT sent home "for wearing American flag shirts"...but rather because WHILE wearing American flag shirts, they instigated several fights with hispanic fellow students. I'll see if I can find the link.

But that can't be right. We elected a black guy, so that means there's no more racism in America! Those illegals* and the MM are just playing the race card.

*:And we know they're illegal because they're the wrong shade of brown. Thanks, Arizona, for showing us the way!
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptySun May 09, 2010 6:08 pm

Jocelyn wrote:

That's a rather important detail that I've not seen mentioned in a single article on the incident. Are you sure? I know some articles said that Mexican-American students had felt that the wearing of American flag shirts was an insult, but nothing about the other kids actually instigating.

Edit: I think this article sums up my feelings on the incident pretty well: not only is it wrong in principle to send students home for wearing the American flag in America, but practically, it also gives a talking point and a rallying cry for the far-right.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptyMon May 10, 2010 12:18 am

Jocelyn wrote:

And I saw a source that said Barack Obama raped and killed a girl in 1995, I'll see if I can't find the link.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:24 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Jocelyn wrote:

And I saw a source that said Barack Obama raped and killed a girl in 1995, I'll see if I can't find the link.

Don't be stupid, Mikey. It was Glenn Beck, 1990, and he most emphatically did not, rape and murder a sixteen-year-old cheerleader. Of course, he's never actually denied it, which would put me more at ease, but I'm quite sure that Glenn Beck never raped and murdered that young girl (possibly named Kimberly) in 1990.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:30 am

myeerah wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Jocelyn wrote:

Don't be stupid, Mikey. It was Glenn Beck, 1990, and he most emphatically did not, rape and murder a sixteen-year-old cheerleader. Of course, he's never actually denied it, which would put me more at ease, but I'm quite sure that Glenn Beck never raped and murdered that young girl (possibly named Kimberly) in 1990.

OH GAWD [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:44 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
myeerah wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Jocelyn wrote:

Look, Mikey, I'm not saying Glenn Beck actually raped and murdered a young girl in 1990. But isn't it interesting how we're the only ones asking this question? If it's not true, then what is Glenn Beck so afraid of?

Seriously, this parody is like a year old. Lawsuits were involved (Glenn lost).
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:45 am

TheHermit wrote:
It's Mikey. Don't expect any better of him.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptyMon May 10, 2010 1:37 pm

Chaltab wrote:
Jocelyn wrote:

That's a rather important detail that I've not seen mentioned in a single article on the incident. Are you sure? I know some articles said that Mexican-American students had felt that the wearing of American flag shirts was an insult, but nothing about the other kids actually instigating.

Maybe I'm just optimistic as far as the school policy goes, but I have a feeling there was more to the story than just "the kids were wearing American Flag shirts".

Than again, I could also be biased, because wearing an American Flag T-shirt to school on Cinco de Mayo and harrassing the hispanic kids is definately something the HURF DURF-crowd would've dreamed up back at my old high school.
Back to top Go down
KJM
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptyMon May 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Lost in all this is the fact that an "American flag shirt" violates the Flag Code.

Last edited by KJM on Mon May 10, 2010 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed careless typo)
Back to top Go down
http://kennethmrrw502.blogspot.com/
AngryRobotsInc
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
AngryRobotsInc

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptyMon May 10, 2010 3:18 pm

KJM wrote:
Lost in all this is that fact the an "American flag shirt" violates the Flag Code.

Granted people sometimes lose their shit about disposing of the flag by burning, in the way it's supposed to be done, a lot of people wouldn't know the Flag Code if smacked them in the face.
Back to top Go down
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptyMon May 10, 2010 4:13 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Chaltab wrote:
Jocelyn wrote:

Maybe I'm just optimistic as far as the school policy goes, but I have a feeling there was more to the story than just "the kids were wearing American Flag shirts".

Than again, I could also be biased, because wearing an American Flag T-shirt to school on Cinco de Mayo and harrassing the hispanic kids is definately something the HURF DURF-crowd would've dreamed up back at my old high school.
Actually, this is EXACTLY what happened at Cinco de mayo at the local high school. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts EmptyMon May 10, 2010 5:10 pm

TheHermit wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
myeerah wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Jocelyn wrote:

Look, Mikey, I'm not saying Glenn Beck actually raped and murdered a young girl in 1990. But isn't it interesting how we're the only ones asking this question? If it's not true, then what is Glenn Beck so afraid of?

Note the bold.

The 90s, Kimberly, and this site reminded me of AiP. I HAD REPRESSED THAT MEMORY GOD DAMN IT!!!1!

Quote :
Any person who, within the District of Columbia, in any manner, for
exhibition or display, shall place or cause to be placed any word,
figure, mark, picture, design, drawing, or any advertisement of any
nature upon any flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States
of America; or shall expose or cause to be exposed to public view any
such flag, standard, colors, or ensign upon which shall have been
printed, painted, or otherwise placed, or to which shall be attached,
appended, affixed, or annexed any word, figure, mark, picture, design,
or drawing, or any advertisement of any nature; or who, within the
District of Columbia, shall manufacture, sell, expose for sale, or to
public view, or give away or have in possession for sale, or to be
given away or for use for any purpose, any article or substance being
an article of merchandise, or a receptacle for merchandise or article
or thing for carrying or transporting merchandise, upon which shall
have been printed, painted, attached, or otherwise placed a
representation of any such flag, standard, colors, or ensign, to
advertise, call attention to, decorate, mark, or distinguish the
article or substance on which so placed shall be deemed guilty of a
misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $100 or by
imprisonment for not more than thirty days, or both, in the discretion
of the court.

And here we see the world's longest run-on sentence. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts   Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts Empty

Back to top Go down

Students Sent Home For Wearing American Flag T-Shirts
Page 1 of 1