Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!

Go down 
+10
Rabid Badger
Lady Anne
XLT-100852.0
Shubby the Lurkette
Chris91
Mr.Doobie
EileenK98
Mikey Go WOOGA
neko mata
rae
14 posters
AuthorMessage
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! Empty
PostSubject: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 10:34 pm

The Southern Poverty Law Center has filed a lawsuit against Jackson Public School District for handcuffing students, sometimes for hours, for very minor infractions. Children, one as young as nine, were handcuffed and left unattended for things such as greeting a friend too loudly in the hallway, not wearing a belt, or wearing the wrong color of shoes.

Video under the cut.
Spoiler:

There is also a petition of people going WTF, yo?!
Back to top Go down
neko mata

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 11:10 pm

Man, that is just wrong in so many levers. And, since when has it been a crime for a kid to act like a kid.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 1:05 am

This seems like a reasonable form of punishment if it were used with discretion and, you know, sense.
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 6:44 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
This seems like a reasonable form of punishment if it were used with discretion and, you know, sense.

If a student is violent, I can see trying to restrain them. But for untucked shirts and mismatched shoes? Come on!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 7:07 am

EileenK98 wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

If a student is violent, I can see trying to restrain them. But for untucked shirts and mismatched shoes? Come on!

> Expecting a comment from Mikey that's not trolling /Mikey
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 8:48 am

If the Jackson Public School District had any sense, they'd apologize to the kid and his family immediately and settle this mess out of court as quickly and quietly as possible.

But then again, if they had any sense they wouldn't be handcuffing kids in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Shubby the Lurkette

Shubby the Lurkette

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 9:11 am

This reminds me of that story where a girl got arrested and taken to an actual police station because she wrote on a desk >_>.
I mean, seriously. If the kid is attacking people, okay, maybe I can see the logic there. But ooh, untucked shirt, so dangerous! Protect me, officer! What on earth were they thinking? Did they seriously think no one would see anything wrong with handcuffing a nine-year-old and leaving him alone? The kind of logic the folks in charge would have to use to think this was acceptable scares me.
Back to top Go down
XLT-100852.0
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
XLT-100852.0

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Oh, it's Mississippi.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 8:06 pm

An untucked shirt?! Jesus Fucking Christ. I'm a school librarian, and I almost never tuck my shirt in--and no one notices, let alone handcuffs or in any other way disciplines me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 8:16 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
An untucked shirt?! Jesus Fucking Christ. I'm a school librarian, and I almost never tuck my shirt in--and no one notices, let alone handcuffs or in any other way disciplines me.

That's because you obviously work with sane, rational people.

Seriously, what IS IT with the South recently? It's like they're bound and determined to return to the 1950s.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 12:12 am

EileenK98 wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

That's what I mean when I say "discretion and, you know, sense." It'd be like sending them to the corner, or something. But instead you're handcuffing them to the corner.

But only if they're tipping shit over or won't shut up or something. Actually, now that I think about it, a handcuff wouldn't help shut them up. They'd need a ball gag for that. Colbert
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 5:28 am

Telling young children, "You won't stop causing a nuisance; go to the Naughty Corner" is common sense.

Telling young children, "Tuck your shirt in" is common sense.

Wrong coloured shoes? Well what if the kid doesn't have the right coloured shoes? What do you do then; make them run barefoot? Buy them new shoes? Chop off their feet? No, you handcuff them to something until their shoes change colour.

Something tells me this is under 'wrongful arrest' or something.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 1:57 pm

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:

Who tucks their shirt in anymore? Seriously. Except if you're wearing formal attire. If you aren't, no one bothers to do so.
Back to top Go down
XLT-100852.0
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
XLT-100852.0

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 1:57 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
Seriously, what IS IT with the South recently? It's like they're bound and determined to return to the 1950s.
You say that as if the South has ever been progressive.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 6:01 pm

Malganis wrote:

Who tucks their shirt in anymore? Seriously. Except if you're wearing formal attire. If you aren't, no one bothers to do so.
I believe the logic behind making students tuck in their shirts is that an untucked shirt hides the belt line and any weapons shoved into the waistband of the pants.
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 7:54 am

I'd say handcuff the teachers, but some of them might like it. 0_o
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:00 am

Cyberwulf wrote:
Malganis wrote:

I believe the logic behind making students tuck in their shirts is that an untucked shirt hides the belt line and any weapons shoved into the waistband of the pants.
Given how often pants are worn so baggy that they're down around the thighs or knees, it would be easy to hide weapons in them even with a tucked-in shirt.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!   Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts! Empty

Back to top Go down

Handcuffing: A great way to punish kids for untucked shirts!
Page 1 of 1