Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure

Go down 
+15
Lady Anne
spoonhead75
Miss Prince
rachel
Ghost in the Machine
tim gueguen
Saleha
Chaltab
Rabid Badger
EileenK98
Mikey Go WOOGA
Aggie
DarthDarthington
Lembech
KelinciHutan
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure Empty
PostSubject: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 5:20 pm

This shooting happened today at the University of Alabama-Huntsville.

Quote :

A university spokesman confirmed that three people are dead in a shooting Friday afternoon on the campus of the University of Alabama in Huntsville.

Two more people were at Huntsville Hospital in critical condition, and a third was stable. All were in the emergency room.
Quote :
A female suspect is in custody. The shooting reportedly occurred just before 4 p.m. during a biology faculty meeting in the university's Shelby Center. Police were taking witness statements.
And from another article.

Quote :
Authorities said a female faculty member during a Biology faculty meeting learned she would not receive tenure. She then pulled out a gun and started shooting.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Lembech
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lembech

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 5:26 pm

For fuck's sake, this is like the third school-related shooting in the area within a month.
First one was at Alabama A&M for...I still don't know what that one was about.
Second one was at a middle school. poor kid got shot execution-style in the head.

What the hell's going on?!
Back to top Go down
DarthDarthington
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
DarthDarthington

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 5:38 pm

Lembech wrote:
For fuck's sake, this is like the third school-related shooting in the area within a month.
First one was at Alabama A&M for...I still don't know what that one was about.
Second one was at a middle school. poor kid got shot execution-style in the head.

What the hell's going on?!

There's an Alabama joke in here somewhere, but I'm not quite enough of an asshole to be the one to make it.

In any case, damn. Those poor people. Especially low of her to go after people in the critical ward.
Back to top Go down
Aggie
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 5:56 pm

KelinciHutan wrote:
Quote :
Authorities said a female faculty member during a Biology faculty meeting learned she would not receive tenure. She then pulled out a gun and started shooting.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I wonder if she would have done that even if she had received tenure.

...okay, my seat in this handbasket is quite firmly assured.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 7:15 pm

Maybe if she had the good sense to wait until she got tenure, she could have kept her job through all of this.

Also, Darthy, I think you're confused. It sounds like she sent people to the ICU, not that she gunned down people already there.
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 8:04 pm

The fact that she had the gun in her purse already hints that someone was going to get shot no matter what happened.

Also:

Quote :
Six of the five victims are faculty members.

MATH FAIL! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 8:11 pm

It doesn't say how long she'd been teaching there, and I don't know how long you have to teach somewhere to get tenure (it probably varies from school to school). She may have just been one of those people with a sense of entitlement, and when she didn't get what she wanted, she acted out. It's not like they fired her-they just denied her tenure.
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 8:13 pm

Hm, I wonder how this will affect her chances for getting tenure next time.
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 8:20 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
It's not like they fired her-they just denied her tenure.

I don't know if AL handles things differently than Indiana (and if this is on a state or university basis), but at least at my uni, if a university professor is in a tenure-track position and doesn't get tenure once they're up for it, they ARE fired and the post is freed for another candidate. So this might be a prospective job-loss situation. Not that shooting up the place makes things better, but it might put some perspective on it.
Back to top Go down
http://diva-urd.livejournal.com/
tim gueguen
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 12:23 am

The story gets weirder when you learn this isn't the first time she shot and killed someone. In December of 1986 she killed her brother in a supposed shotgun accident, which some people are now claiming was actually deliberate. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://timgueguen.blogspot.com
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 3:45 am

I know details tend to get hazy with time, but I do find it odd that the entire case file's simply disappeared into thin air. Also, why would an argument with her father make her decide to learn how to load a shotgun?
Back to top Go down
Ghost in the Machine
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ghost in the Machine

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 5:22 am

Rabid Badger wrote:
Also, why would an argument with her father make her decide to learn how to load a shotgun?
Fear of the argument escalating into something worse?

Preparing for the zombie apocalypse?

Kill, kill, murder, kill, kill?
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 11:34 am

I'm guessing it's option C. To say this woman has anger issues is to state the painfully obvious.
Back to top Go down
rachel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
rachel

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 9:39 pm

Alleged Ala. killer was suspect in attempted bombing of Harvard professor, FWIW
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 4:01 am

rachel wrote:

This woman's just a little ray of sunshine, isn't she? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 8:27 am

rachel wrote:

The local news has been saying she shot her brother 20 years ago. It was ruled an accident (apparently based on the mother's statement), but they're looking into it again.
Back to top Go down
spoonhead75
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
spoonhead75

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 8:48 am

Her brother in 1986.
The professor in 2003
Her colleagues in 2010.

That's evrey seven years. spooky.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 9:38 am

klotterbeck wrote:
Her brother in 1986.
The professor in 2003
Her colleagues in 2010.

That's evrey seven years. spooky.

2003 - 1986 = 17

Edit: Curse you,  . CURSE YOU.
Back to top Go down
spoonhead75
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
spoonhead75

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 10:16 am

Oupsie. Is it a lame excuse to say that I've never been good at maths?
Hm, yes it is.

Obviously somebody has not been paying attention.

But it would have been spooky, if it had been every seventh year.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 10:22 am

I'm glad this woman didn't get tenure. Can you imagine what she would have done if a student failed her class?
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
I'm glad this woman didn't get tenure. Can you imagine what she would have done if a student failed her class?

. . .

*Makes a note to start showing up to Management 210*
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 4:15 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

. . .

*Makes a note to start showing up to Management 210*

Too bad you can't do what I did and CLEP/DANTES it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
rachel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
rachel

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 10:40 pm

Amy Bishop Punched a Woman Over a Restaurant Booster Seat

Quote :
The AP reported today that Bishop admitted in court in 2002 to punching a mother in the head after the woman was given the last booster seat in an International House of Pancakes restaurant in Peabody, Mass.

Bishop apparently wanted a booster seat for her own young child and yelled at the woman, "I am Dr. Amy Bishop," according to the police report.

Peabody police Capt. Dennis Bonaiuto said Bishop admitted to the assault in court and the case was adjudicated, meaning the charges eventually were dismissed. In addition, the Boston Globe reported today that after fatally shooting her brother in 1986, Bishop tried to steal a car from a dealership and ended up in an armed standoff with police...

Holy Cow, this woman is nuts. Also, some of her students didn't like her and wanted her gone. (From the article's first page:)

Quote :
Some of Bishop's students said they knew something wasn't right with her. Dozens of them signed a petition to remove Bishop last year after appeals to school administrators failed to get her out of the classroom.

One of the letters was addressed to the biology department chairman, Gopi K. Podila, but in a subsequent meeting with the students Podila dismissed their complaints, student Caitlin Phillips told the Associated Press. Podila was the first person shot when Bishop allegedly began her shooting spree last Friday.

In at least three complaints to administrators, the students said Bishop had unsettling ways, never looked students in the eyes, and frequently talked about her alma mater, Harvard University.

As a university teacher, I know that there are always some students who complain. Every semester, I have at least one student moaning about my homework load, but I've never had dozens of them ask that I be given the boot. If Podila had listened to them, he might have been OK today--or she might have snapped even sooner. Who knows?
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 10:49 pm

holy shit how did this lady slip through the cracks
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 12:22 pm

Lady Anne wrote:

Stabbed them through the heart, probably.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure   Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure Empty

Back to top Go down

Faculty-Member Kills Three After Not Getting Tenure
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next