Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rage Against The X Factor

Go down 
+15
Sutremaine
Aggie
Lapin
Somath Cegem
Little Egypt
Mr.Doobie
Lysander
Rabid Badger
Trioculus
Root Admin
Mafiosa
Hot Cancer
Knorg
Penguin
ZoZo
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

Rage Against The X Factor Empty
PostSubject: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 6:00 am

This year, some cute little lad won the X Factor (our version of American Idol; it used to be called Pop Idol, but Simon Cowell decided he'd like all the profits). Like every year, he has been given a single (I believe it's a Miley Cyrus song) and was expected to whizz straight to Christmas number one. Enter a Facebook group. Unlike most Facebook groups, this one has actually had a mission. The mission? To get Rage Against The Machine's Killing In The Name to Christmas number one instead.

It's been working rather well. Apparently the Rage single is about 11000 copies behind, at present.

Of course, the celebs have been weighing in. Simon Cowell is furious. Cheryl Cole thinks it's mean (no doubt through the standard photogenic crocodile tears). the winner thinks the song is terrible.

Quote :
“They can’t be serious! I had no idea what it sounded like. It’s dreadful and I hate it. How could anyone enjoy this? Can you imagine the grandmas hearing this over Christmas lunch?

“I wouldn’t buy it. It’s a nought out of ten from me. Simon Cowell wouldn’t like it. They wouldn’t get through to boot camp on The X Factor – they’re just shouting.”

On the other side of the divide we have national treasure, Sir Paul McCartney (who is obviously regretting appearing on the X Factor last week). Oh, and of course RATM themselves-- that's a bit of a long listen, but worth it for the end.

Of course, there's a degree of irony in a campaign telling people to buy a record with the refrain "fuck you, I won't do what you tell me". RATM are attempting to counter this by donating proceeds to charity.

Oh, for comparison (I'm assuming everyone knows the RATM song), here's the X Factor single. I can get about 30 seconds in before wanting to rip my ears off.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 6:10 am

Irony and the use of RATM songs frequently go hand-in-hand. Like when people make videos about the LANTIRN target pod set to Killing in the Name Of.

"Um. Guys. Guys. We, uh, we sort of are the machine."
Back to top Go down
Knorg
Behind Blue Eyes
Behind Blue Eyes
Knorg

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 6:11 am

Five quid says the whole thing is a Sony orchestrated viral marketing boost. They're both signed to Sony/Sony owned labels after all.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 6:24 am

I shan't take your bet, Knorgy-pants. I have been harbouring that same suspicion myself.
Back to top Go down
Hot Cancer
Playwright
Playwright
Hot Cancer

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 1:11 pm

Got to love that little shit's butthurt over it:

Quote :
They can’t be serious! I had no idea what it sounded like. It’s dreadful and I hate it. How could anyone enjoy this? Can you imagine the grandmas hearing this over Christmas lunch?

“I wouldn’t buy it. It’s a nought out of ten from me. Simon Cowell[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] wouldn’t like it. They wouldn’t get through to boot camp on The X Factor – they’re just shouting.”

Kiddo, X-Factor didn't exist in the early 90s. Rage had to rely on these things called "talent" and "originality", perhaps you've heard of them? The correct way to deal with this was to ignore it (since I don't think Rage will quite overhaul him anyway), but they just couldn't, could they?
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 1:22 pm

Quote :
Can you imagine the grandmas hearing this over Christmas lunch?

This is going to be my response to outrageous things from now on.
Back to top Go down
Hot Cancer
Playwright
Playwright
Hot Cancer

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 1:23 pm

I reckon Bullet in the Head would've been more ironic.

"Facebook says jump, you say 'how high?'"
Back to top Go down
Knorg
Behind Blue Eyes
Behind Blue Eyes
Knorg

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 1:44 pm

Hot Cancer wrote:

Kiddo, X-Factor didn't exist in the early 90s. Rage had to rely on these things called "talent" and "originality", perhaps you've heard of them? The correct way to deal with this was to ignore it (since I don't think Rage will quite overhaul him anyway), but they just couldn't, could they?

Well, that*, or they just decided to cash in on the unpopular kids being angry disaffected teens and feeling anti-establishment like at many other bands and acts from every other generation. The Who singing "Hope I die before I get old" sounded more talented than rap-rock to me (probably even better in 1965...). Fuck it, even the limited talents of the packaged and pushed Sex Pistols seemed to have more going for 'em... Killing in the name is a great track for all that, but damn, the sales of Vanilla Ice, Milly fucking Vanilli et al surely show there was no more requirement for talent to be in place for get a number one in the early 90s than now. One commentator queried there seemingly not being a good enough protest track from this generation of acts to rally round; it's 17 years old! Some of the 16 year old shouting along when it came out are today's grandmas! (s'hear it for generations of teen pregnancy.) Still, it's probably got more chance than many of beating it.
[/ranty mcrantpants]

*eh, they were talented but the originality could be lacking...
Back to top Go down
Root Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Root Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 1:56 pm

I like Rage Against the Machine, sure, but I have to agree with Knorg here. Personally, "Wind of Change" by the Scorpions would be a better song, but then, you know how it goes- they're trying to make early 90's acts into classics. Sure, I love The Beastie Boys, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, etc, but in my opinion it kind of became more about a gimmick as opposed to actual substance in the lyrics. What sticks? Something universal. These guys kind of... aren't.

And the kids going around today don't know what it means to actually have an issue to stand up for- yeah, I am talking about my own generation here, but it just seems so much more superficial these days. People still listen to Bob Dylan, The Who, Simon and Garfunkel, The Scorpions, etc. because they happen to touch the deeper layer that's more than just teenage angst.
Back to top Go down
Hot Cancer
Playwright
Playwright
Hot Cancer

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 2:00 pm

Knorg wrote:
Hot Cancer wrote:

Well, that*, or they just decided to cash in on the unpopular kids being angry disaffected teens and feeling anti-establishment like at many other bands and acts from every other generation. The Who singing "Hope I die before I get old" sounded more talented than rap-rock to me (probably even better in 1965...). Fuck it, even the limited talents of the packaged and pushed Sex Pistols seemed to have more going for 'em... Killing in the name is a great track for all that, but damn, the sales of Vanilla Ice, Milly fucking Vanilli et al surely show there was no more requirement for talent to be in place for get a number one in the early 90s than now. One commentator queried there seemingly not being a good enough protest track from this generation of acts to rally round; it's 17 years old! Some of the 16 year old shouting along when it came out are today's grandmas! (s'hear it for generations of teen pregnancy.) Still, it's probably got more chance than many of beating it.
[/ranty mcrantpants]

*eh, they were talented but the originality could be lacking...

Well, I was thinking that musically their self-titled album is one of the more unique things I ever heard, and considering I did buy until about 2004, it must've sounded really fresh in 1992.

You are correct to state that "Fuck society" and "Fuck the American right" as lyrical themes have been around forever though. They're more deserving of selling millions of albums than Mr. I sing Miley Cyrus Songs is anyway.
Back to top Go down
Trioculus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Trioculus

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 2:04 pm

I am such a comic book nerd.

I saw the title of this thread and thought "What has somebody got against Jamie Madrox and Strong Guy? Is is Rob Liefeld pissing about Shatterstar being gay again?"

[/digression]
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 7:28 pm

Trioculus wrote:
I am such a comic book nerd.

I saw the title of this thread and thought "What has somebody got against Jamie Madrox and Strong Guy? Is is Rob Liefeld pissing about Shatterstar being gay again?"

[/digression]

Don't feel bad, Tri; you're not the only one.
Back to top Go down
Knorg
Behind Blue Eyes
Behind Blue Eyes
Knorg

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 3:22 am

Um... I probably would have done also if I hadn't already heard about the subject of the thread. I haven't read many X-comics at all, but most of the ones I have read were X-Factor for some reason...
Back to top Go down
Knorg
Behind Blue Eyes
Behind Blue Eyes
Knorg

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 1:33 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

...and RATM win the contest.
Back to top Go down
Lysander
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 2:51 pm

Record label bullshit or not, a smug prick got told, and that is to be celebrated.

Wine, women, and angry music for all!

Back to top Go down
Hot Cancer
Playwright
Playwright
Hot Cancer

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 3:18 pm

Hahahahaha!

Hahahahahahahaha!

AHAHAHAHAHA!
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 6:00 pm

This has made my Christmas. XD
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 6:39 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Little Egypt

Little Egypt

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 3:18 am

I heard about this on the radio yesterday or the day before. I actually find it pretty reassuring that there's a backlash against the X Factor.

Oh, and I doubt Cowell is angry at this whole thing, I bet he's loving it. I think the other half's got a copy of Killing in the Name, but I'm considering getting another one, just so I can imagine the look on Cowell's face.

...and the, err, to donate to charity. Of course, to donate to charity...
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 4:42 am

Just found this gem on the BBC site wherein they explain the song and translate the last lines:

Quote :
"Since I believe police officers and law-makers to be institutionally corrupt, I see no need to follow their instructions."
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 8:59 am

Spoiler:

Needless to say her twitter went bye bye not long after this little outburst. Still funny though.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 9:51 pm

Who is she to be asking who RATM are?
Back to top Go down
Aggie
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 2:42 am

Lapin wrote:
Who is she to be asking who RATM are?
More to the point, who the fuck is CharlMaxwell?
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 4:43 am

I'd just decided to get a copy of RATM's latest when I heard they'd won. Oh well. Maybe next near some other band not also owned by Sony will do something like this, and if this whole thing does turn out to have been orchestrated then Sony will have shot themselves very nicely in the foot.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 6:11 am

CharlMaxwell: worst assassin ever. Really helps to know your target.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The X Factor   Rage Against The X Factor Empty

Back to top Go down

Rage Against The X Factor
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next