Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How are we different--a love story (a Happy Days fic)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

How are we different--a love story (a Happy Days fic) Empty
PostSubject: How are we different--a love story (a Happy Days fic)   How are we different--a love story (a Happy Days fic) EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 3:37 pm

Yeah... Happy Days. I think most of us can remember watching this--it was an all-American show after all. But WAS IT?! As this fic shows us, there were dark undertones to the show... of steamy homo-eroticism and suicidal tendencies. Yes... Happy Days was dark indeed.

How Are We Different?: Richie and Fonzie discover their feelings for each other. Potsie is depressed. Richie/Fonzie. My first fanfic!

Don't pick on Potsie. He was my favorite. How are we different--a love story (a Happy Days fic) 309696

Alright, we start our journey with Richie, watching the Fonz (EEEYYYY!) talk about a car he fixed. There is steamy subtext there, and OMG is Richie gay?!

Quote :
Richie was staring at Fonzie, longing for Fonzie to look into his eyes.
So why do you keep staring at his crotch?

Quote :
"Have you ever ridden a bike Rich?"
"Well sure Fonz, everyone had one as a kid.."
"Yeah, but a real motorbike."
"Only the times you've picked me up from where I shouldn't be."
"Like that S and M bar down the street."

Quote :
And even though he had Mindy right there, Fonzie couldn't get the time he had with Richie off of his mind. His red hair, freckles, the way he smiles. He stopped right there. What was he thinking? Richie was his best friend. Guys aren't supposed to think like this.
BECAUSE BEING TEH GAY IS BAD. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Quote :
All he could think about was Fonzie. His leather jacket, his blue jeans, his hair. Oh his hair.
Yes, because when I'm crushing on a boy, all I think about is his hair.

Anyway, Richie and Fonzie can't stop thinking about each other, so Richie goes to Potsie to ask him about 'them funny boys', aka, homosexual men.

Quote :
"I don't know. I mean, I don't really see why they're different. I don't think that they're different." Potsie actually meant it, he was ahead of his time.
Which just means that he's awesome so DON'T PICK ON HIM AUTHOR! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Richie confesses his love for the Fonz to Potsie. Potsie encourages him. Potsie is shocked by this, because Richie is going out with Lori-Beth (who never gets mentioned again). Richie makes to leave, and Potsie says 'No, stay, it's cold outside.' This alerts: DAD SENSE!

Quote :
Howard was walking down the hallway to the bathroom when he got a chill walking past Richie's room.

WHOOP! WHOOP! GAYDAR ALERT! SOMETHING IS WRONG IN THE CUNNINGHAM HOUSEHOLD!

The parents, very concerned for their boy, get Fonzie.

Quote :
"Thanks for your concern Fonzie. I'm sure he'll be back later. He didn't tell you about a date or anything tonight?"
"As far as I knew he had nothing on."
Bow bow chicka bow!

Meanwhile, Richie and Potsie seem to have some sort of disagreement about something. It's not quite clear, but eventually, Potsie goes on to mention his DARK SEKRIT!

Quote :
"Gee Pots, I know your parents are hard on you, but killing yourself? Isn't that a little drastic?"
It's a family show, Potsie!

*bangs head against desk* It just keeps going on and on. Potsie moves into Richie's house, Richie goes and necks with the Fonz while Potsie tries to kill himself with sleeping pills. Then, Richie and the Fonz hold hands while Potsie is in the hospital. AND THEN!

Quote :
"The doctors said first they want to get your blood levels normal then they have to run some tests, to see if you're.." Richie trailed off
"To see if I'm what?"
"Nutso" Fonzie said plainly.
Yes, because mental illness is diagnosed with blood tests. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

How are we different--a love story (a Happy Days fic) Empty
PostSubject: Re: How are we different--a love story (a Happy Days fic)   How are we different--a love story (a Happy Days fic) EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 6:41 pm

Quote :
Yes, because mental illness is diagnosed with blood tests.

You have to remember, we're talking about an era where electroshock was still considered a viable means of treating depression.

But yeah, no blood tests. And given that this was the mid-late 50s, there is no way young guys who even 'suspected' they might be gay would be talking about it openly to anyone, even his best friend. If anything had ever happened between Richie and Fonzie, it would've been hurried fumbling and they'd never be able to look at each other again.

I really do wish, if they're going to insist on writing fanfic that takes place anywhere but the 21st century, that they'd do some goddamn homework. Google 'Homosexuality in the 1950's' and you'll get all sorts of useful information, the most useful of which will be that there was a reason why it was referred to as 'The love that dare not speak its name.'

Also, why is Potsie all of a sudden suicidal? Is he gay too? Because my memory of Potsie from the show is a kind've goofy guy who never took things too seriously. And while I realize people suffering from depression can be good at hiding it, this was a gorram television comedy!
Back to top Go down

How are we different--a love story (a Happy Days fic)
Page 1 of 1