Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Space Landing! ...is totally cancelled!

Go down 
+26
Bamshalam
Waffles
Snoof
Knight
Trioculus
KJM
T.S.Orr
007bistromath
Spotts1701
Lysander
Kevin M
Ceres
KelinciHutan
Chaltab
Keith Fraser
Psy-4
Tungsten Monk
Mikey Go WOOGA
Knorg
Delcat
Root Admin
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Sorsa A. Jänis
Lapin
gaijinguy
Penguin
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

Space Landing! ...is totally cancelled! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Landing! ...is totally cancelled!   Space Landing! ...is totally cancelled! - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 9:14 pm

Knight wrote:
gaijinguy wrote:
Knight wrote:
KJM wrote:
T.S.Orr wrote:
Fuck the moon, I want to go to pluto.
I stopped caring about Pluto the moment it stopped being a planet.

I've never understood why adding "dwarf" in front of the word planet makes it not a planet anymore. Seriously, Pluto may be a dwarf planet but that still counts as a planet to me.

Because there's a lot of other objects in the solar system that fit the definition of proper planets if Pluto's included- Quaoar, Eris, Sedna, Makemake, and a whole bunch more. Also, Pluto skylined itself with "one of these things is not like the other-" it had a very irregular orbit compared to the other planets, both in terms of how stretched the ellipse was compared to the others, and how it was offset compared to the plane of the solar system.

And if that's not enough, think about it in terms of categories- we have the four inner rocky planets, the four outer gas giants and then, another rocky planet.

Still, a dwarf planet still hasn't planet in the name. Why include the word if you're going to say "Dwarf planets aren't planets"? I'm not trying to argue that it should be a planet, merely curious as to why the term planet is still in its name if we're going to say that it isn't one. It's kinda confusing.

Knighty is right! Why, this "Dwarf Planet" is offensive to midgets. Space Landing! ...is totally cancelled! - Page 3 585516

I mean, if a Drawf Planet isn't a planet, doesn't that make a Dwarf Human not a human?

Please say yes. I want to hunt midgets.
Back to top Go down
Grimley Fieendish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Grimley Fieendish

PostSubject: Re: Space Landing! ...is totally cancelled!   Space Landing! ...is totally cancelled! - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 11:04 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Knight wrote:
gaijinguy wrote:
Knight wrote:
KJM wrote:
T.S.Orr wrote:
Fuck the moon, I want to go to pluto.
I stopped caring about Pluto the moment it stopped being a planet.

I've never understood why adding "dwarf" in front of the word planet makes it not a planet anymore. Seriously, Pluto may be a dwarf planet but that still counts as a planet to me.

Because there's a lot of other objects in the solar system that fit the definition of proper planets if Pluto's included- Quaoar, Eris, Sedna, Makemake, and a whole bunch more. Also, Pluto skylined itself with "one of these things is not like the other-" it had a very irregular orbit compared to the other planets, both in terms of how stretched the ellipse was compared to the others, and how it was offset compared to the plane of the solar system.

And if that's not enough, think about it in terms of categories- we have the four inner rocky planets, the four outer gas giants and then, another rocky planet.

Still, a dwarf planet still hasn't planet in the name. Why include the word if you're going to say "Dwarf planets aren't planets"? I'm not trying to argue that it should be a planet, merely curious as to why the term planet is still in its name if we're going to say that it isn't one. It's kinda confusing.

Knighty is right! Why, this "Dwarf Planet" is offensive to midgets. Space Landing! ...is totally cancelled! - Page 3 585516

I mean, if a Dwarf Planet isn't a planet, doesn't that make a Dwarf Human not a human?

One of the definitions of planet, that the IAU used to define the status of Planet, that Pluto apparently failed to meet, was that " it has to clear its orbit of other debri using it's own gravity", i.e it has to act like a vacuum cleaner with regards to matter in it's orbit...
Some people have argued, that Earth would not fit the above criteria, if it was placed in Pluto's orbit, due to the vast amount of debri within the Kuiper Belt, which Pluto's orbit intersects....
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Space Landing! ...is totally cancelled!   Space Landing! ...is totally cancelled! - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 11:44 pm

Grimley Fieendish wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

I mean, if a Dwarf Planet isn't a planet, doesn't that make a Dwarf Human not a human?

One of the definitions of planet, that the IAU used to define the status of Planet, that Pluto apparently failed to meet, was that " it has to clear its orbit of other debri using it's own gravity", i.e it has to act like a vacuum cleaner with regards to matter in it's orbit...
Some people have argued, that Earth would not fit the above criteria, if it was placed in Pluto's orbit, due to the vast amount of debri within the Kuiper Belt, which Pluto's orbit intersects....

I've also heard it argued that Mercury doesn't qualify, since the Sun did most of the orbit-clearing for it.
Back to top Go down
Grimley Fieendish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Grimley Fieendish

PostSubject: Re: Space Landing! ...is totally cancelled!   Space Landing! ...is totally cancelled! - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 11:48 pm

gaijinguy wrote:
Grimley Fieendish wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

I've also heard it argued that Mercury doesn't qualify, since the Sun did most of the orbit-clearing for it.

I wouldn't be suprised at all by this argument, given the Sun's gravity field...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Space Landing! ...is totally cancelled!   Space Landing! ...is totally cancelled! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Space Landing! ...is totally cancelled!
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3