Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless.

Go down 
+4
Nurvingiel
Raine
Lexin
rae
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless. Empty
PostSubject: Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless.   Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless. EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 2:13 pm

Old news, but I didn't want this to be lost.

Raine wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
On a cool spring eve, March 15th, 2009, a bat, crippled and wistful, clung to the Space Shuttle Discovery as it was thrust toward the great beyond. Goodbye and godspeed, my magnificent Spacebat.

At some point during the countdown, Spacebat—a Free-Tailed Chiroptera—was spotted latched to the foam of the external fuel tank, occasionally moving but never letting go. Wildlife experts deduced that he had injured his wing and shoulder, leaving him with little chance of survival. He remained on the tank until launch. NASA's cold report?

Quote :
The animal likely perished quickly during Discovery's climb into orbit.

True! But here's how it should have read:

Quote :
Bereft of his ability to fly and with nowhere to go, a courageous bat climbed aboard our Discovery with stars in his weak little eyes. The launch commenced, and Spacebat trembled as his frail mammalian body was gently pushed skyward. For the last time, he felt the primal joy of flight; for the first, the indescribable feeling of ascending toward his dream—a place far away from piercing screeches and crowded caves, stretching forever into fathomless blackness.

Whether he was consumed in the exhaust flames or frozen solid in the stratosphere is of no concern. We know that Spacebat died, but his dream will live on in all of us.

Poor little Spacebat, though you may go flying no longer, surely you will go on in our hearts and our imaginations. We shall look to the sky and forever be reminded of your courage to explore the stars. <3

KelinciHutan wrote:
Back to top Go down
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lexin

PostSubject: Re: Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless.   Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless. EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 3:19 pm

I loved the spacebat. May his batty little wings never grow shorter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mpmrommel.co.uk
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless.   Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless. EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 5:50 pm

GODSPEED, LITTLE SPACEBAT... GODSPEED... ;_;

I'm glad we didn't lose this thread.
Back to top Go down
Nurvingiel

PostSubject: Re: Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless.   Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless. EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 6:19 pm

Bats. In. Spaaaaaaaaace!
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless.   Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless. EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 6:31 pm

I had such PMT when I first heard this story, and actually shed a tear.

Farewell, brave pioneer!
Back to top Go down
merryb87

merryb87

PostSubject: Re: Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless.   Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless. EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 9:31 pm

I missed this story the first time around! But I'm glad that I was able to get to it this time.

Little Spacebat, your dreams live on forever.
Back to top Go down
Miraba
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Miraba

PostSubject: Re: Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless.   Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless. EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 9:41 pm

For those who want to commemorate his bravery, there are lots of t-shirts.

Nevar forget.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless.   Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless. EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 10:12 pm

Space Bat fanart?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless.   Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless. Empty

Back to top Go down

Space bat: old news, but awesome nonetheless.
Page 1 of 1