Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?

Go down 
+40
grmblfjx
Carrion Crawler
Seule
Mikey Go WOOGA
Mr.Doobie
the asylum
Jesus.
KelinciHutan
DarthDarthington
KGarrett
Chaltab
Penguin
Melissa
T.S.Orr
Psy-4
Dick Powers
Drabbler
quamp
lemmingwriter
Rabid Badger
Lapin
Miss S
Maximilia
Keith Fraser
Animir
gaijinguy
Root Admin
Ceres
Chris91
Lady Anne
Verandering
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Fitchsticks
ZoZo
unskilled78
Spotts1701
karmyn31
Miss Prince
Mafiosa
theweirdkind
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 7:34 am

Spotts1701 wrote:
Talk About A "Slanted View"

Quote :
Texas high school students would learn about such significant individuals and milestones of conservative politics as Newt Gingrich and the rise of the Moral Majority — but nothing about liberals — under the first draft of new standards for public school history textbooks...

[Board Member Ken Mercer] would add James Dobson's Focus on the Family, conservative talk show host Sean Hannity and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee to the list of conservatives. Others have proposed adding talk show host Rush Limbaugh and the National Rifle Association.

Are they trying to create a little brainwashing movement down there?
This is nuts, and it doesn't even make sense==even if you agree with conservative ideology.

I mean to be a conservative, you're naturally going to encounter resistance from liberals, and to effectively promote the conservative agenda, you have to know who the liberals are, what they believe, why you think it's wrong, and who is important/influential within the liberal movement. To blackout even learning about 'the other side' (as if public schools should be taking sides) then you're creating a bunch of thoughtless zombies whose world view is going to utterly collapse when they get to college and meet professors and students with opposing viewpoints.

This is dumb on so many levels.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 12:07 pm

karmyn31 wrote:
Extreme anything political is dangerous, whether it be extreme right conservative or extreme left liberal. All sides have plenty of loonies. Just look at the radical feminists. Or PETA.
This. I am definitely a liberal, but I'm capable of seeing the other side's POV (even if I disagree with it). However, there are some really batshit people on either side of the political spectrum--like the crazy atheists on AlterNet who want to kill or "re-educate" all the religious people, and their conservative equivalent, the crazy religious people who want to kill or convert everyone who isn't of their particular faith. Then there's the batshit feminists who think women don't have control of their own bodies because they aren't required to get abortions, and their batshit equivalent, the people who think women are good only for breeding and if something goes wrong with a pregnancy the woman should be imprisoned or killed because God would never allow such things to happen naturally. Then there's groups that are their own special brand of crazy, like PETA, teabaggers, the Phelps clan, and the local Chicano group that thinks California needs to be returned to Mexico and all of Mexico's problems are America's fault. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Melissa
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 am

theweirdkind wrote:
karmyn31 wrote:
Not to defend Melissa, but the TAAS test was the standard before the TAKS. They changed it sometime in the mid-90s after I graduated.
I know it was the TAAS, but now it's the TAKS. The fact that Melissa doesn't know shit like that when it's in the local news, shows how naive she is about about the Texas state education system which means she really shouldn't be commenting on it at all.

You know, when you catch someone in error, there is a way to point it out without resorting to childish insults and name calling. I know, I've done it. And you never did get around to telling me how to teach a child how to school.
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 11:44 pm

Okay, I know I'm really necroposting, but...

It passed.

Quote :
Decisions by the board—long led by social conservatives who have advocated ideas such as teaching more about the weaknesses of evolutionary theory—affects textbook content nationwide because Texas is one of publishers’ biggest clients.
That's right, guys. Not only will the Texas education system be effected by this, but plenty of other states as well. Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 588739

Quote :
But, the board agreed to strengthen nods to Christianity by adding references to "laws of nature and nature’s God" to a section in U.S. history that requires students to explain major political ideas.
Hm... I seem to recall this thing about separation of Church and State.

Quote :
Conservatives beat back multiple attempts to include hip-hop as an example of a significant cultural movement.
Because there are only white kids in Texas, amirite? Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 961878

Quote :
Numerous attempts to add the names or references to important Hispanics throughout history also were denied, inducing one amendment that would specify that Tejanos died at the Alamo alongside Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie.
Yeah, screw all of those other insignificant people that died at the Alamo. We only care about the white ones. Seriously, as somebody who's a descendant from a veteran of the Texas Revolution, I find this offensive.

Quote :
Berlanga also bristled when the board approved an amendment that deletes a requirement that sociology students "explain how institutional racism is evident in American society."
Just... there are no words.

Also, also...

They cut out Thomas Jefferson among other things.

Quote :
To avoid exposing students to “transvestites, transsexuals and who knows what else,” the Board struck the curriculum’s reference to “sex and gender as social constructs.”
Of course, because if they take them out of the curriculum, the students will never know about transvestites and transsexuals. Rolling Eyes

Quote :
The Board removed Thomas Jefferson from the Texas curriculum, “replacing him with religious right icon John Calvin.”
Well, I guess the third President of the United States and the man who wrote the Declaration of Independence isn't as important as somebody who has to do with religion. You know, that thing that's supposed to be separated from State.

I need liquor.

Edit: Another article.

Last edited by theweirdkind on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 11:50 pm

Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 199471 UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHAT
Back to top Go down
Dick Powers
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Dick Powers

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:04 am

BRB, preparing to request a student visa for Canada.
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:17 am

Well, I guess Kel's going to be happy that her people won, at least. I can hear the gloating already.
Back to top Go down
DarthDarthington
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
DarthDarthington

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:22 am

Quote :
I seem to recall this thing about separation of Church and State.

Don't you know anything? It just means "keeping the government and their 'rules' out of our religion while we do whatever we please" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 1:10 am

Nihilist wrote:
This reads as very 1984ish to me
Bitches don't know that 1984 is bullshit and that we already live in a different nightmare by a different author-
Nihilist wrote:
gotta groom the next generation for a new era of plugged-in brainlessness and bipartisanship WHAT ARE THE CELEBRITIES DOING LETS GET LIPOSUCTIONS.
-namely, Brave New World. Maybe I'll pick up both books, if I have the time.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 1:34 am

Nihilist wrote:
But my point remains, what they're doing to the curriculum is Orwellian. But when it comes to consumerist culture as a whole, point to Huxley.
Really? That sounds like censorship to you? Because to me the addition of religion and creationism sounds like drowning out of the truth with irrelevance. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 8:10 am

And Phyllis Schafly gets a place in the curriculum, even though the guy who was pushing her addition (as part of a unit on "the resurgence of conservatism") lost his primary.

Suddenly I'm glad that school districts can't afford new books - it means they can tell the textbook folks to go screw themselves.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 8:16 am

I don't remember actually using the textbook a lot when I was in school. They were so outdated that a lot of my teachers made lesson plans that excluded them entirely, except for math and foreign language.

Social studies? Websites put on a projector.

English? Assigned novels or if studying grammer, projections.

Science? Websites on a projector/experimenting. Did a lot of classes outside, since the teachers figured it would keep us awake.

I can't see a lot of teachers using the textbooks that Texas wants to make. ("Whoops, new textbooks aren't in the budget again, so sorry Texas.")
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 8:21 am

KGarrett wrote:
Well, I guess Kel's going to be happy that her people won, at least. I can hear the gloating already.
If there were things I wanted to say in this thread, I would say them. If I really bother you so damn much, foe me already and shut up about it.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 8:28 am

I agree with Kel - let's not generalize what this group of conservative individuals did with all who may share some of the same ideology. Painting with that broad a brush is never a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 9:19 am

Good thing the U.S. is working toward nationwide standards!
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 9:22 am

I was about to say that I thought Kel pretty much only had the anti-abortion line--I didn't remember her saying anything about having Christianity in our schools. And I never recall her 'gloating'.

But whatev. I officially hate Texas even more now, and I didn't think that was possible since I already view it as the pit of hell.
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 9:24 am

To answer the topic question... no. They're Texas. This is their thing, like geeks in their parents basements building lego recreations of every Star Trek character. What else do they have to do?

Edit thats not to say I don't like Texans. But come on. Individual people does not a state make. Plus my crazy aunt that no one likes talkingh to but me lives there. Supposedly she keeps forgetting to take her medication. Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 961878
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 9:26 am

Ah, to be Canadian. As far removed as possible from these Texan hackjobs.

........though the downside is we're closer to Palin :/
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 9:27 am

theweirdkind wrote:

Quote :
The Board removed Thomas Jefferson from the Texas curriculum, “replacing him with religious right icon John Calvin.”
Well, I guess the third President of the United States and the man who wrote the Declaration of Independence isn't as important as somebody who has to do with religion. You know, that thing that's supposed to be separated from State.

John Calvin? John Frakking Calvin!?
The guy who founded Calvinism? The guy who believed that God predestines some people to eternal damnation and others to eternal life with no actual regard for the choices they've made? The John Calvin that lived and died more than two-hundred years before the United States of America was founded? What the hell, Texas?
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 9:29 am

There's something not quite right about Texas. It twists people, makes them stupid and evil. I'm glad I got out after a relatively short stay. Six months was too long.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 10:08 am

Nihilist wrote:
Or, keeping the truth from today's students to keep them ignorant, weak, and in line. Makes them easy to control and manipulate around for whatever the government's whims may be. Orwellian. Could go into it further, but I'm not seeing the worth here. Thanks for the jpeg, though. Too bad both are equally as valid even though we disagree to the application. Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 896582

Next.
You're arguing against a burn. Your argument is invalid.

Lapin wrote:
I don't remember actually using the textbook a lot when I was in school. They were so outdated that a lot of my teachers made lesson plans that excluded them entirely, except for math and foreign language.

Social studies? Websites put on a projector.

English? Assigned novels or if studying grammer, projections.

Science? Websites on a projector/experimenting. Did a lot of classes outside, since the teachers figured it would keep us awake.

I can't see a lot of teachers using the textbooks that Texas wants to make. ("Whoops, new textbooks aren't in the budget again, so sorry Texas.")
I know no one else noticed, but I did
Lapin wrote:
grammer
I noticed so hard. That was ironic, right?

the asylum wrote:
Ah, to be Canadian. As far removed as possible from these Texan hackjobs.
High five, my fellow Canadafag.

the asylum wrote:
There is an advert on a side of a bus stop near where I live that says "Palin is a best-selling author", and "Unexplained mysteries" right under that.
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 1:18 pm

Psy-4 wrote:

the asylum wrote:
There is an advert on a side of a bus stop near where I live that says "Palin is a best-selling author", and "Unexplained mysteries" right under that.

You gotta take a pic of it
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 3:17 pm

Melissa wrote:
theweirdkind wrote:
karmyn31 wrote:
Not to defend Melissa, but the TAAS test was the standard before the TAKS. They changed it sometime in the mid-90s after I graduated.
I know it was the TAAS, but now it's the TAKS. The fact that Melissa doesn't know shit like that when it's in the local news, shows how naive she is about about the Texas state education system which means she really shouldn't be commenting on it at all.

You know, when you catch someone in error, there is a way to point it out without resorting to childish insults and name calling.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I seem to remember a certain person "baking an internet penis cake", and than "giving a slice" to everybody but Cyberwulf and me because we were being all mean. What with us disagreeing with you and all. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[quote="theweirdkind]
Quote :
To avoid exposing students to “transvestites, transsexuals and who knows what else,” the Board struck the curriculum’s reference to “sex and gender as social constructs.”
Of course, because if they take them out of the curriculum, the students will never know about transvestites and transsexuals. Rolling Eyes
[/quote]

Oh, they'll know they exist. They'll just believe that they're abberations and freaks. Something to be laughed at. Like midgets in a Medevil Court.

Chaltab wrote:
theweirdkind wrote:

Quote :

John Calvin? John Frakking Calvin!?
The guy who founded Calvinism? The guy who believed that God predestines some people to eternal damnation and others to eternal life with no actual regard for the choices they've made? The John Calvin that lived and died more than two-hundred years before the United States of America was founded? What the hell, Texas?

I can actually understand John Calvin to a degree, didn't he have ideas of political theory that were influential to the American Constitution?
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Dude did you just rip on Melissa.

did you just

did

what
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 4:11 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
I can actually understand John Calvin to a degree, didn't he have ideas of political theory that were influential to the American Constitution?

Soon: More "America was founded as a Christian nation" bull.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next