Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?

Go down 
+40
grmblfjx
Carrion Crawler
Seule
Mikey Go WOOGA
Mr.Doobie
the asylum
Jesus.
KelinciHutan
DarthDarthington
KGarrett
Chaltab
Penguin
Melissa
T.S.Orr
Psy-4
Dick Powers
Drabbler
quamp
lemmingwriter
Rabid Badger
Lapin
Miss S
Maximilia
Keith Fraser
Animir
gaijinguy
Root Admin
Ceres
Chris91
Lady Anne
Verandering
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Fitchsticks
ZoZo
unskilled78
Spotts1701
karmyn31
Miss Prince
Mafiosa
theweirdkind
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 4:27 pm

Chaltab wrote:
theweirdkind wrote:

Quote :
The Board removed Thomas Jefferson from the Texas curriculum, “replacing him with religious right icon John Calvin.”
Well, I guess the third President of the United States and the man who wrote the Declaration of Independence isn't as important as somebody who has to do with religion. You know, that thing that's supposed to be separated from State.

John Calvin? John Frakking Calvin!?
The guy who founded Calvinism? The guy who believed that God predestines some people to eternal damnation and others to eternal life with no actual regard for the choices they've made? The John Calvin that lived and died more than two-hundred years before the United States of America was founded? What the hell, Texas?

John Calvin was the second most prominent Reformer, behind only Luther. What he did had no small affect on politics and whatnot of the time. He even ran Geneva for a long period of time. He has a place in history books.

Granted, European history was more affected by him than American history. And even so, just because Calvin belongs in history books, does not mean you have to remove Thomas Jefferson. Remove something more useless, like Beatniks, or Peanut Carver (I forget his first name and I don't care).
Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 4:29 pm

aww maaaaaan for a second i thought melissa was back
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 5:11 pm

Obviously John Calvin would be important to European history, but to have him and not Thomas Jefferson in an American history curriculum is just stupid.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 6:04 pm

the asylum wrote:
You gotta take a pic of it
Delivered.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 6:36 pm

Mafiosa wrote:
Dude did you just rip on Melissa.

did you just

did

what

If you're pointing out that the quote is old, I've realized this by now. I didn't expect someone to necro so far back, so I thought maybe Melissa had returned somehow. I left the comment up because I didn't see the point in deleting it, because it is true. Not only that, but if Melissa is still lurking or something what's the harm in letting her know how stupid I think she is one last time?

Penguin wrote:
Mr.Doobie wrote:
I can actually understand John Calvin to a degree, didn't he have ideas of political theory that were influential to the American Constitution?

Soon: More "America was founded as a Christian nation" bull.

I was mistaken, I was thinking of John Locke. I didn't think he was particularly religious.

Still, even with my history fail aside, I wasn't saying "America is a Christian nation" in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Carrion Crawler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Carrion Crawler

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 7:00 pm

Yeah, I mean, I'm actually descended from Calvin and come from a family that has some hundreds of year old books of his (relatively early printings) and I'm pretty sure yoinking Jefferson in favor of him doesn't really make much sense.

@Mikey: I'd call George Washington "Peanuts" Carver important not so much because he was black as because he was a milestone in American entrepreneurship. The guy created an entire industry for lulz.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Jesus Fucking Christ, Texas...your government makes California's government look smart.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
Jesus Fucking Christ, Texas...your government makes California's government look smart.

Isn't California desperately in a legendary financial clusterfuck while Texas is relatively financially sound? Colbert
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 10:35 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

Isn't California desperately in a legendary financial clusterfuck while Texas is relatively financially sound? Colbert

Texas is looking at an $11-20 billion dollar shortfall come January 2011. The only reason they aren't facing financial armageddon right now is they used a ton of stimulus money to paper over the budget hole in 2009 (money that isn't going to be there to save their bacon this time around).
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 7:49 am

OH GOD WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE BACON
Back to top Go down
Trioculus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Trioculus

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 10:29 am

I swear, it's becoming impossible to parody Christian Fundies anymore, isn't it? About the only thing left is to rewrite the science books to remove "Pro-Heliocentric Bias"

Last edited by Trioculus on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typed too fast and missed a word. Course you can still read the mistake in the quotes)
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 2:29 am

Trioculus wrote:
I swear, it's becoming to parody Christian Fundies anymore, isn't it?

There's a reason Poe's Law exists.
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 7:22 am

Trioculus wrote:
I swear, it's becoming to parody Christian Fundies anymore, isn't it? About the only thing left is to rewrite the science books to remove "Pro-Heliocentric Bias"

I know, right? Filthy liberals filling our kid's heads with "round earth" nonsense!
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 8:07 am

the asylum wrote:
Trioculus wrote:
I swear, it's becoming to parody Christian Fundies anymore, isn't it? About the only thing left is to rewrite the science books to remove "Pro-Heliocentric Bias"

I know, right? Filthy liberals filling our kid's heads with "round earth" nonsense!
One of the students at the school I work for who was formerly homeschooled got into an argument with the Earth Science teacher about that. Not only is the student convinced that the sun revolves around the earth, but he also believes that the earth is flat, and complained that the teacher was just a liberal trying to turn Christians into athiests by saying the world is round, and back when his parents were growing up, everyone knew the earth was flat.

Yeah. Unless his parents are really old, the flat earth hypothesis was debunked long before they were born--you know, back when that Italian guy was so convinced that the world was round that he got funding from the Spanish crown to sail west in order to get to India. Granted, he didn't realize there were two continents in the way, but still...and then, a few decades later, Magellan circumnavigated the globe, removing all doubt that the round-earth idea was correct.

And the kid wonders why he's failing most of his classes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 8:33 am

People knew the Earth was round before that moron sailed to North America. He just thought there might be a shorter way to the West Indies.
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 8:35 am

TheHermit wrote:
Trioculus wrote:
I swear, it's becoming to parody Christian Fundies anymore, isn't it?

Refresh my memory...I used to know what Poe's Law is but right now I'm drawing a blank.
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 9:03 am

Lady Anne wrote:
Yeah. Unless his parents are really old, the flat earth hypothesis was debunked long before they were born--you know, back when that Italian guy was so convinced that the world was round that he got funding from the Spanish crown to sail west in order to get to India.
Wow, Anne, bad form. Even before Columbus' day educated people knew that the Earth was round.

Even Conservapedia doesn't fall into that classic pit of history fail.
Quote :
It is also a myth that Columbus proved that the world was round.
Europeans had known for centuries that the world was round. Columbus's
disagreement with the experts was that he thought that the Earth was
much smaller, and that he had enough supplies to sail to India.
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 9:11 am

Lady Anne wrote:
Unless his parents are really old, the flat earth hypothesis was debunked long before they were born--you know, back when that Italian guy was so convinced that the world was round that he got funding from the Spanish crown to sail west in order to get to India. Granted, he didn't realize there were two continents in the way, but still...and then, a few decades later, Magellan circumnavigated the globe, removing all doubt that the round-earth idea was correct.
Devil's advocate: you could circumnavigate a flat Earth as long as terra firma does not extend all the way to the edge. The proof of Earth being round, or cylindrical, or conical, would be if you could circumnavigate it by keeping a constant bearing (eastward or westward).
Having said that, if the kid won't listen to reasoned arguments and his counter-arguments amount to LA LA LA YOU ARE OF THE DEVIL, I say leave him well alone. He can ascribe to religious persecution the fact that his career will never rise above 'cesspit emptier assistant'.
Back to top Go down
Trioculus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Trioculus

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 9:53 am

Chris91 wrote:
TheHermit wrote:
Trioculus wrote:
I swear, it's becoming impossible to parody Christian Fundies anymore, isn't it?

Refresh my memory...I used to know what Poe's Law is but right now I'm drawing a blank.

I can't remember where I got this quote, but here goes:

Quote :

Poe's law is that without a blatant indicator of sarcasm or parody it's impossible to make an online parody of fundamentalism that can't be mistaken for the real thing.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 1:39 pm

Basically, Poe's law states that Cyberwulf needs to use Trollface a lot more.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 1:51 pm

the asylum wrote:
Ah, to be Canadian. As far removed as possible from these Texan hackjobs.
Geography wasn't your top subject, was it?
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
the asylum wrote:
Ah, to be Canadian. As far removed as possible from these Texan hackjobs.
Geography wasn't your top subject, was it?

He means to be as far away from Texas as possibly but still close enough to America to have some of our Awesome rub off on them.

Unlike Ireland. Razz
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 6:51 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
He means to be as far away from Texas as possibly but still close enough to America to have some of our Awesome rub off on them.

Unlike Ireland. Razz
No, Ireland is rubbing against a country that has owned a quarter of the entire world.

Also, what sort of "Awesome" are we talking about? The transparently corrupt government, the fucked up educational system(which you decided to fuck even further, because LIBRUL BIAS), the insultingly unequal income distribution, the arrogance the U.S. has as a whole, the stupidly high crime rates, the fact that your conservatives are fucking insane, your military is overfunded, your debt is astronomical and will be equal to your GDP in another twenty years, your health system favors the wealthy, or the fact that you're the only first world country without UHC, and now 45000 people die yearly because of it, what?

The U.S. is a fucking joke of a first world country, with enough guns and nukes to qualify as a superpower, that has decided that its job is to police the world.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 6:56 pm

trolled hard
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 7:08 pm

yes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?   Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do? - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Seriously, Doesn't the Texas State Senate Have Anything Better to Do?
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next