Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Default All-Gay High School

Go down 
+6
WD40
I_Lam_Edhellen
Maximilia
the asylum
Mr.Doobie
King Bee
10 posters
AuthorMessage
King Bee
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
King Bee

Default All-Gay High School  Empty
PostSubject: Default All-Gay High School    Default All-Gay High School  EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 4:04 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A proposal is currently being put forth in Maple Leaf Country (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) to instate the first all gay and lesbian school so that it's students and teachers can live without fear of their own sexual orientation which would normally be frowned upon in a regular school

While their heart may be in the right place the idea is all together stupid
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Default All-Gay High School    Default All-Gay High School  EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 5:40 pm

King Bee wrote:
While their heart may be in the right place the idea is all together stupid

... Why?

In the US at least they already have a good chunk of charter schools for LGBTQ students, because often the students feel too threatened or excluded to continue going to a "normal school". If they feel like this is the best way for them to get an education without having to live in fear or whatever, then I say all the more power to them.
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: Default All-Gay High School    Default All-Gay High School  EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Its about as stupid as an idea for seperate water fountains

you know

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

this shit
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Default All-Gay High School    Default All-Gay High School  EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 6:52 pm

the asylum wrote:
Its about as stupid as an idea for seperate water fountains

you know

this shit

False equivocation. I will note that the article was rather vague on how a school like this would be run, but if it's anything like the charter schools that I mentioned (which, I am assuming it is) attendance is optional. But like I said, I would like to know more about how a school like this would be run. But students seeking a safer place to learn is not the same as Jim Crow segregation.
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: Default All-Gay High School    Default All-Gay High School  EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 6:54 pm

Letting homophobic dipshits think that they've "won" is the worst possible thing you can let happen.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Default All-Gay High School    Default All-Gay High School  EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 7:45 pm

the asylum wrote:
Letting homophobic dipshits think that they've "won" is the worst possible thing you can let happen.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, here. Do you mean that the homophobic bullies will feel victorious having bullied children into leaving for a different school? It's high school, not the salt marches.

Or do you mean that homophobic adults will feel victorious because they finally got gays "segregated", or somesuch? But it is most likely not true, prejudicial discrimination. If they thought this meant the government was on their side, then they're just fools.

EDIT: The comment section is absolutely disgusting, btw. Also, another reason this school might be in development (and a reason hinted at in the article) is that maybe some people want a less straight-centric education, similar to how there are all black schools that want a less white-centric education.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Default All-Gay High School    Default All-Gay High School  EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 12:23 am

Yeah, but "separate but equal" doesn't work, Doob.
Back to top Go down
I_Lam_Edhellen
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
I_Lam_Edhellen

PostSubject: Re: Default All-Gay High School    Default All-Gay High School  EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 1:40 am

The problem that I see with this is that the best way to lessen the fear of the "other" is to demystify it and make it familiar. It's the whole point behind "coming out". Keeping LGBT students separate from their straight peers kinda undermines that, in my opinion... BUT, if the kid's life is in danger or the kid is just being harassed so much that they can't learn in school, I could see their parents having no other choice.

The ability to choose is the deciding factor.
Back to top Go down
http://www.realelvish.net
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: Default All-Gay High School    Default All-Gay High School  EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 3:22 am

Checking the story... No one is calling for a "Gays-only" school. This is where the "Separate but Equal" analogy falls down.

It's just a school that promises to be is forthright and open about the sexuality of it's teachers and students.

Quote :
"There is a real lack of education and a need for a school that encourages critical thinking, especially in areas of gender and sexual diversity," Wu told Xtra. He added when he was a student in high school, "gay teachers ... made a point of not coming out to their students" for fear of "parental backlash."

Don't give a shit about your kids teachers being gay? Come here.

Want to send your kid to a school in which students and teachers may feel the need to keep their sexuality a secret for fear of reprisal? Go mainstream.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Default All-Gay High School    Default All-Gay High School  EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 8:58 am

Maximilia wrote:
Yeah, but "separate but equal" doesn't work, Doob.

Quote :
Checking the story... No one is calling for a "Gays-only" school. This is where the "Separate but Equal" analogy falls down.

This.

The American charter schools I compare this place to actually allow straight students to enroll, and, despite the article title, nothing in this article suggests that only homosexual students would be allowed to go there (how would they enforce that, anyway?). It's somewhere you can go to get a more gay-friendly education.
Quote :

The problem that I see with this is that the best way to lessen the fear of the "other" is to demystify it and make it familiar. It's the whole point behind "coming out". Keeping LGBT students separate from their straight peers kinda undermines that, in my opinion... BUT, if the kid's life is in danger or the kid is just being harassed so much that they can't learn in school, I could see their parents having no other choice.

Exactly. No one should have to make themselves a martyr to diversity. The drop out rates among LGBTQ youth are alarmingly high, this isn't forced segregation, this is providing students a third way out.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Default All-Gay High School    Default All-Gay High School  EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 9:08 am

Mr.Doobie wrote:
nothing in this article suggests that only homosexual students would be allowed to go there (how would they enforce that, anyway?)

...yaoi fangirls everywhere are rattling their cages... Default All-Gay High School  961878
Back to top Go down
SirDixonDongs
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
SirDixonDongs

PostSubject: Re: Default All-Gay High School    Default All-Gay High School  EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:12 am

i woulda killed for a school like that when i was a kid

its not a separate-but-equal thing, its providing a way for students to get through school without getting assaulted for being queer

like i did

for four years straight
Back to top Go down
Aggie
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Default All-Gay High School    Default All-Gay High School  EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 1:50 pm

SirDixonDongs wrote:

its not a separate-but-equal thing, its providing a way for students to get through school without getting assaulted for being queer

like i did

for four years straight

Unless, of course, the school becomes a convenient target for hate crimes where assholes can simply target everyone without fear of attacking someone 'innocent.'

The intention is a great one, but I'm not sure if it's going to work out quite as well as people intend. But I'm just jaded that way.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Default All-Gay High School    Default All-Gay High School  EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 2:37 pm

SirDixonDongs wrote:

like i did

for four years straight

The obvious solution would have been to beat the crap out of the first person who harassed you, taken the suspension, and enjoyed the next three years and 50 weeks of peace.

Or, you know, pipe bomb.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Default All-Gay High School    Default All-Gay High School  Empty

Back to top Go down

Default All-Gay High School
Page 1 of 1