Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Commercials I don't know how to feel about

Go down 
+15
Lady Anne
WD40
GamemasterAnthony
EileenK98
Mr.Doobie
Drabbler
Dixie
grmblfjx
Maximilia
Mikey Go WOOGA
Seule
Penguin
Rabid Badger
Reepicheep-chan
Sakurelf
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

Commercials I don't know how to feel about - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 10:05 am

Quote :
Well then Mr. Doobie...look up "Dave & Buster's" and see if there's one in your hometown. Hell, they even have drink service where they will get you a beer WHILE you're playing your game!

No. Dave and Buster's sounds like an adult Chuck E. Cheese. And I hated Chuck E. Cheese. All the kids were pushy and the puppet band was creepy and it smelled like sweat and cigarettes and registered sex offenders.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 10:07 am

I've got one to add to the pile too:

Is this advert sexist?

The fall is staged - that much is painfully obvious, but why have the lady fall? Is it so the delicate pretty lady lawyer can fall over, safely in the company of three big strong men, but it just goes to show that women can't walk and talk at the same time?

Or am I reading too much into it?

Also I have some form of cognitive disconnect whenever I see 'professionals' try and hawk something seriously when it has a "txt-speak, down with the cool kidz" number-substitution style name.
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 1:55 pm

WD40 wrote:
Or am I reading too much into it?
You may be. Even if someone thought that it should be the woman to fall, it may not have been for the reasons you stated but because she'd be the one in the heels. We're accustomed enough to the idea that the heel can break or that a foot put even slightly wrong can cause a fall that we're less inclined to think her a clumsy moron than if one of the men fell.
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 7:34 pm

In the situation they show, wouldn't it be her fault, though? I mean, she tripped. Who would she sue?
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 8:44 pm

GamemasterAnthony wrote:
That's the one.

Again...what is JCP planning for the beginning of the month I was born in?
JCP has a new marketing strategy--namely, no more special sales. "Everything" will be a "low" price, with specials each month and really low prices for crap they couldn't get rid of.

That's the plan, anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 11:54 am

Mr.Doobie wrote:
GamemasterAnthony wrote:
Oh there are still arcades around. There's actually a very successful one in Maple Grove...but then it also has a full bar, so yeah...
I'd be all over that shit. That sounds badass.
The only arcades I know of are the ones that serve booze. Seems like the only way they can stay in business.

Well, no, that is not entirely true. There are a couple of the carnival-style ones that give you tickets redeemable for prizes kicking around as well, including one a town over with an entire carousel and a booth that makes up airbrushed t-shirts. IDK if they count though, they do not have a lot of 'real' arcade games that are still in working order... although the one of them has a pretty sizable collection of broken retro cabinets to gawk at.
Back to top Go down
Summercorn
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Summercorn

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 6:00 am

Here's a couple that I find odd at the moment.

First link is to First Choice (travel agents).

Second is link to .MoneySupermarket, (sic)

They are both running in the UK at present and, well, frankly, they're the same ad. Cocky arrogant bloke with ego size of Texas gets fawned over by all and sundry whilst wife and kiddies are background fodder at best.

I find them both sexist, but at the same time I can see where the agency/agencies were going with the idea/ideas. I also find that both bloke's arrogance and the way they disregard their families quite distateful

What do you think? Sexist and egotistical, or just fun ads about blokey wish fullfilment?

The fact the two ads, currently running are essentially the same just seems really wierd.
Back to top Go down
Hawaiian Shirt
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Hawaiian Shirt

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
The only arcades I know of are the ones that serve booze. Seems like the only way they can stay in business.

Well, no, that is not entirely true. There are a couple of the carnival-style ones that give you tickets redeemable for prizes kicking around as well, including one a town over with an entire carousel and a booth that makes up airbrushed t-shirts. IDK if they count though, they do not have a lot of 'real' arcade games that are still in working order... although the one of them has a pretty sizable collection of broken retro cabinets to gawk at.

We've been meaning to go here.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 5:08 pm

Oooh, that looks like fun.
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 5:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Well, it's not a commercial, but I still don't know how to feel about it.

I like updated, relevant science videos that add humour to education. Likening carbon to a whore just makes me really uncomfortable.

In this video, it is explained that a Carbon atom is female (and female is shown with tits, big lips and a pink strapless dress. The embodiment of everything female, of course) because it is small, and likes to chemically bond with other atoms.

Carbon is also not specific to which atoms it bonds with, therefore carbon is slutty because it will bond with various combinations of atoms at the same time, including otehr carbon atoms.

Which is all very interesting in terms of science, but holy shit, stop likening molecules to sluts, thank you very much. This video reeks of cissexual white male while trying to be inclusive and relevant.

Am I reading too much into this?
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 8:24 pm

You can think this stuff up accidentally, either purely through random chance or through exposure to the world around you. What isn't accidental is taking the 'carbon bonds with everything' idea and running with the thought that 'bonds with everything' = 'jezebel / tramp' = 'female, and stereotypically so' (although the last is kind of implied by the previous two).

It's very kind of him to tell us how to rewind so that we can go over stuff again, and that we can skip parts of the video if we already know the topic. He won't mind.

Quote :
This video reeks of cissexual white male while trying to be inclusive and relevant.
Inclusive and relevant to other white cissexual males trying to be inclusive and relevant. I wouldn't have associated biology with ironic hipster asshattedness until now.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 3:14 am

:/
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 8:44 pm

I don't think I want to eat something that can taste me back.

And, Yay, Cannibalism?

Edit: Oh god! Soylent Green flashbacks! It's people!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Commercials I don't know how to feel about
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2