Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Commercials I don't know how to feel about

Go down 
+15
Lady Anne
WD40
GamemasterAnthony
EileenK98
Mr.Doobie
Drabbler
Dixie
grmblfjx
Maximilia
Mikey Go WOOGA
Seule
Penguin
Rabid Badger
Reepicheep-chan
Sakurelf
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

Commercials I don't know how to feel about Empty
PostSubject: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 3:40 pm

Watch the first

And then the second

I... am quite dumbfounded. On the surface, yes. I get the joke. In the first, and then the joke is reversed (but there is a catch) in the second. Yes, my simpleton mind does find the concept and the switcheroo funny. Once you start disecting it, though, these two minutes are like a sociology class unto themselves. With examples of stereotypes

- It is women's job to do laundry
- Likewise, men are always lazy slobs
- All women want a sexy, strong black man who is unlike her spouse
- Balding men with gross leg-hair are weak*
- Men want an exotic black woman
- Men being next to a more verile man makes them uncomfortable

*Interesting point, and I was discussing this with another friend of mine, on baldness and sexiness of men. We tend to see baldness or balding on white men as a sign of weakness, ugliness, age, or in some cases, a "skinhead" or "biker" stereotype. Rarely is baldness on a white man shown as young, sexy, attractive or desirable. However, almost the opposite is true for black men. Baldness is seen almost as a sign of cleanliness, strength, verility, etc.

White bald guys, you think "midlife crisis or Mr. Clean"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Compared to

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] or [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now, is it racist or promoting diversity? These commercials push so many lines. Is it good that she is attacted to the sexy black man she has produced by throwing her boyrfriend / husband in the washing machine and dying him black? The tagline is "coloured is better." It is clearly shown through imagery and music that the black man is superior to her wimpy, short boyfriend. Is this a positive portrayal? Or we dealing with more exoticism here, where black people are treated as non-entities and sex objects?

Now, with the reversal, it's humorous that the boyfriend does not get the rseult he expected, but the punchline here appears to be homophobia. He wanted a sexy black woman as he saw in the magazine, but instead got the same sexy black man. What now? (also, at what point did her boyfriend turn back from the black man into... ok, thinking too much)

I guess my summary of this could be, "Only in Europe could this be made."

Last edited by Sakurelf on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 6:32 pm

The only thing I have a comment on is the white v. black baldness thing. I have a really hard time not associating bald white guys with skinheads and as such I find baldness on white dudes kind of unattractive (there are exceptions though, natch). Not really just or fair, but that is how I feel. I do not have that issue with black dudes, so, yeah, there you go.

That is all I have to contribute.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 8:45 pm

I have no trouble with bald white guys, but that could be because my brother finally gave up with trying to do a comb-over and just shaved his head after he started going bald in his 40s. On the other hand, he's 61, so it's unlikely you'd mistake him for a skinhead.

I will admit, however, that for some reason, certain black men do seem to be able to pull off being bald better than white men. I have no idea why this is, however,and it may just be a personal preference. Which is odd, because I was one of the last generations who grew up when guys were EXPECTED to have long hair (I'd wager 98% of the guys in my graduating class in 1977 had hair down to their shoulders).
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 12:12 am

I remember a standup comedian complaining about that years ago.

"Women see a bald black guy and they're all, 'mm-hmm!' They see a bald white guy, and they're like, 'sigh... leukemia?' It's not fair! Black Guy's getting laid, I'm getting chemotherapy!"
Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 8:00 pm

This might sound uh... odd, but think about it; maybe black men look better bald because they tend to have dark hair anyway. Like, it's not as glaringly obvious that something's missing as with white men.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Quote :
Men want an exotic black woman

Uh, since when is this a stereotype? No, seriously, I have NEVER heard of that shit. I mean, there's some joking fascination with Brazilians, but I've never heard a white guy go "Gee, I gotta get me some black poon."

I've never even heard someone joke about that stereotype. Stop making shit up.

And not one of those Hell's Angels is bald. They clearly have shaved heads. Not even well shaved. That's a haircut, not baldness.

Goddamn Canadian.

Also, what is wrong with that African's face?

Also also, stop trying to turn the internet into your horseshit Sociology/Anthropology/Whateverbullshithippylibtard"science"class 102 discussion groups.

GODDAMN CANADIAN
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Sorry, Mikey. I didn't want to, but I hold to my word. You're now blocked. I gave you several chances. I told you not to speak to me like this. I don't mind having a conversation with you, and I certainly don't mind you disagreeing with me, but I won't take shit being thrown at me for no reason. If you want to interact with me, learn to play nice.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 10:56 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Quote :

Uh, since when is this a stereotype? No, seriously, I have NEVER heard of that shit. I mean, there's some joking fascination with Brazilians, but I've never heard a white guy go "Gee, I gotta get me some black poon."

I've never even heard someone joke about that stereotype. Stop making shit up.

You've never heard of "jungle fever"? O.o Hell, Spike Lee made a movie about it. Granted, it's about a black dude having an affair with a white chick, but the phrase 'having jungle fever' applied to both men and women.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 9:25 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Quote :

Uh, since when is this a stereotype? No, seriously, I have NEVER heard of that shit.

We all know that you like white men in need of a haircut, honey, but not everyone feels that way.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Sakurelf wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is the wrong response to anything posted on the internet. God forbid widdle babby comes across anyone who doesn't blow sunshine up her ass.

grmblfjx wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Quote :

Uh, since when is this a stereotype? No, seriously, I have NEVER heard of that shit.

We all know that you like white men in need of a haircut, honey, but not everyone feels that way.

This is a better response. Colbert Rule 27

And Troy Polamalu isn't white
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:40 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Quote :

This is a better response. Colbert Rule 27

And Troy Polamalu isn't white

I was talking about musicians! And exceptions don't change your basic preference, you don't have to question yourself over it. <3
Back to top Go down
Dixie
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Dixie

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Sakurelf - Both of those adverts are hysterically funny. I WANT that bloke who rises from the washing machine... excuse me while I go away to stop salivating.
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 2:58 pm

First, Mikey, that's Seal. Those are Lupus scars.

Second, Mikey does have a point about that not being a stereotype, at least in the US. Of course, the commercials are Italian, so American attitudes may not apply. [Grimbles, when that movie came out, black man/white woman was much more common than the reverse, for a variety of reasons. The numbers may be less lopsided now, but that has more to do with young people of both races not caring as much about skin color as a dating criterion than it does with the fetishization implied by the "fever" label.]
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 6:12 pm

Dixie wrote:
Sakurelf - Both of those adverts are hysterically funny. I WANT that bloke who rises from the washing machine... excuse me while I go away to stop salivating.

Oh, I agree, he is extremely attractive. The whole "I shoved my husband into a washing machine and he came out black" thing just... weirds me out. And it's probably just me, so.. *shrug*
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:59 pm

Just saw this tonight. Interesting logic.

"Get DirecTV so your daughter doesn't grow up to be a slut and transfer your terrible behaviour to her children."

- Implying that the viewer is male (and probably a baby boomer)
- Implying that you, the male father are not accountable for your actions, but your daughter is, and her child is as well.
- Implying that punk culture = "undesirable" Studded clothing, nose rings and [s]video[/s] arcade games are all signs of rebellion.
- Implying that rebellious girls are not TOO rebellious and get married before they have children. Keepin' it PG for primetime!

(Seriously, was this commercial written in the 80's? Who the fuck plays video games at an arcade anymore?)
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 9:05 pm

What do you mean you don't know how to feel about that commercial? I was actually about to post that in the "Bad Commercials" thread.

Quote :
(Seriously, was this commercial written in the 80's? Who the fuck plays video games at an arcade anymore?)

... Commercials I don't know how to feel about 309696
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 9:32 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:

Quote :

... Commercials I don't know how to feel about 309696

Don't give me that, Doobs. They made Tron just to show how many people are NOT at arcades these days. >:|

Also, I think my brain shut off when I watched this. I DON'T EVEN.
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 6:20 pm

Who needs to go to the arcade when they can play games on their phone?
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 9:31 pm

Who wants to play games on their phone when they can fiddle with a joystick? Commercials I don't know how to feel about 588739
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 10:15 pm

Sakurelf wrote:
Don't give me that, Doobs. They made Tron just to show how many people are NOT at arcades these days. >:|

You're lame. Arcades are awesome.
Back to top Go down
GamemasterAnthony
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
GamemasterAnthony

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 8:22 am

Oh there are still arcades around. There's actually a very successful one in Maple Grove...but then it also has a full bar, so yeah...
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 9:33 am

GamemasterAnthony wrote:
Oh there are still arcades around. There's actually a very successful one in Maple Grove...but then it also has a full bar, so yeah...

I'd be all over that shit. That sounds badass.

The only one I know of in Philly is on the U. Penn campus, and I don't feel like taking a thirty minute trolley ride every time I feel like pwning scrubs in Street Fighter.
Back to top Go down
GamemasterAnthony
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
GamemasterAnthony

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 7:27 am

Well then Mr. Doobie...look up "Dave & Buster's" and see if there's one in your hometown. Hell, they even have drink service where they will get you a beer WHILE you're playing your game!

Now, back on topic...anyone see the latest JCPenney's ad where apparently everyone is throwing a hissy fit over (apparently) a sale that has come into fruition or coupons that have been made available? Anyone have ANY idea what the drek is going on in that one?
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 8:25 am

You mean this one?

I guess people are sick of the endless sales the stores keep pushing on us. I think they could have made that point without the screaming, though.
Back to top Go down
GamemasterAnthony
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
GamemasterAnthony

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 9:06 am

That's the one.

Again...what is JCP planning for the beginning of the month I was born in?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Commercials I don't know how to feel about   Commercials I don't know how to feel about Empty

Back to top Go down

Commercials I don't know how to feel about
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next