Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

It's Getting Real In Libya

Go down 
+29
grmblfjx
MacedonianSunWarrior
Hawaiian Shirt
zootie
Howithurts
zeke
rae
Verandering
Saleha
Sakurelf
ZoZo
Jesus.
The Unoriginal
Somath Cegem
Ghost in the Machine
TheHedonist
Lady Anne
Adagio
Penguin
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Braigwen
Spotts1701
tim gueguen
Cyberwulf
Electron Blue
Mikey Go WOOGA
Azzandra
Raine
Chris91
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

It's Getting Real In Libya Empty
PostSubject: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 8:08 am

Well, we knew it had to happen sooner or later...The Libyan people are borrowing a page from the Egyptians' playbook and protesting for a more democratic government. Here's the lowdown courtesy of our friends at MSNBC:

Quote :
Hundreds of protesters took to the streets of Libya Wednesday in the first sign that the unrest which toppled governments in neighboring Tunisia and Egypt has spread to the North African nation.

Witnesses said protesters in the eastern port city of Benghazi chanted slogans demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi.

The Associated Press said that the crowds did not appear to direct their anger at Moammar Gadhafi, who is Africa's longest-serving leader. He has ruled for 41 years.

However, Dubai-based television news service Al-Jazeera reported that sources said the demonstrators chanted slogans against the "corrupt rulers of the country."

Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 3:10 am

I had a feeling this might happen when Egypt began protesting right after Tunisia's.

It's kinda mind-blowing to think how quickly this has all happened. In a month's time we might just see huge chunks of global politics changed overnight.
Back to top Go down
Azzandra
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Azzandra

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 3:29 am

Raine wrote:
I had a feeling this might happen when Egypt began protesting right after Tunisia's.

It's kinda mind-blowing to think how quickly this has all happened. In a month's time we might just see huge chunks of global politics changed overnight.
"Spring of Nations 2: Egyptian Boogaloo"
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 am

Raine wrote:

Silly Australian, one night isn't a month. Razz
Back to top Go down
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Domino effect! Domino effect! Go go go!
I really hope this keeps up. We may actually see a nice improvement in the shape of the world.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Quote :
Inspired by protests in at least three cities overnight, opponents of longtime dictator Moammar Gadhafi
oh my god his name is in the article and you couldn't spell it right
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 5:30 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Quote :
Inspired by protests in at least three cities overnight, opponents of longtime dictator Moammar Gadhafi
oh my god his name is in the article and you couldn't spell it right

How can you be sure? From what I understand there are at least a dozen officially recognized ways to spell Khadafy.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 5:44 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Raine wrote:

Silly Australian, one night isn't a month. Razz

Time has no true concept in Australia. It's why we say "she'll be right" and leave it, thinking that given enough time, it will reverse time independently on the problem to a time where it wasn't a problem at all. It's Getting Real In Libya 961878
Back to top Go down
tim gueguen
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 3:28 pm

Unlike other languages there is no commonly accepted scheme for translating/Romanising Arabic into English. So there are several ways to spell his name in English. For example Wikipedia uses Gaddafi, while the New York Times apparently uses Qaddafi.
Back to top Go down
http://timgueguen.blogspot.com
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 3:32 pm

tim gueguen wrote:
Unlike other languages there is no commonly accepted scheme for translating/Romanising Arabic into English. So there are several ways to spell his name in English. For example Wikipedia uses Gaddafi, while the New York Times apparently uses Qaddafi.

"17 across. Yes, 17 across is wrong... You're spelling his name wrong... What's my name? My name doesn't matter. I am just an ordinary citizen who relies on the Times crossword for stimulation. And I'm telling you that I met the man twice. And I recommended a preemptive Exocet missile strike against his air force, so I think I know how..."

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 5:24 pm

I think Godtaffy will take his hot blond nurse and run.
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 6:04 pm

You're probably right. It's Getting Real In Libya 611762
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 7:20 pm

Ironically, the Egyptians were following Tunisia's example, which was taking some cues from Iraq (it was killing off Hussien that gave them ideas).

Almost everybody predicted that Lybia would follow in Egypt's footsteps. and that Lybia's long-time president was definitely getting uncomfortable. The protesters apparently weren't being all that violent, but apparently the riot police fired warning shots at them.

So it goes that America effectively invades Iraq, giving its people the balls to kill Saddam Hussein (it's not like he was going to be easy to get rid of without backup, admittedly). That gives Tunisia some ideas about revolution, and they break out the guns. Then Egypt gets its stomping boots on and starts stomping and it doesn't look like they're going to stop - apparently several high-up Egyptian leaders have been killed and the president has resigned. They've pretty much won; now they just have to decide who will take his place, which should be the painful part.

And now, to nobody at all's surprise, their next-door neighbour Lybia's got the same idea. They're trying to contain it but if they keep on trying to doi it with guns that's going to get a lot of people het up.

This looks like the definite beginning of a major shakeup of the dictatorships of Africa and the Middle East, and nobody can say that we haven't got quite the number to choose from. Which country do you think is next up?

Apparently the people aren't mad at Kattoffee just yet, but he'd better start handling the whole thing a lot better.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 7:51 pm

Harley wrote:

So it goes that America effectively invades Iraq, giving its people the balls to kill Saddam Hussein (it's not like he was going to be easy to get rid of without backup, admittedly). That gives Tunisia some ideas about revolution, and they break out the guns. Then Egypt gets its stomping boots on and starts stomping and it doesn't look like they're going to stop - apparently several high-up Egyptian leaders have been killed and the president has resigned. They've pretty much won; now they just have to decide who will take his place, which should be the painful part.

And now, to nobody at all's surprise, their next-door neighbour Lybia's got the same idea. They're trying to contain it but if they keep on trying to doi it with guns that's going to get a lot of people het up.

This looks like the definite beginning of a major shakeup of the dictatorships of Africa and the Middle East, and nobody can say that we haven't got quite the number to choose from.

You're welcome. Cool

ETA: You all invaded Iraq as well, you dumb, fat, skank.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
You're welcome. Cool

No, they didn't. Canada was not part of the "Coalition of the Willing" that invaded Iraq. They did (and still do) participate in combat operations in Afghanistan as a member of NATO.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 3:18 am

Spotts1701 wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
You're welcome. Cool

No, they didn't. Canada was not part of the "Coalition of the Willing" that invaded Iraq. They did (and still do) participate in combat operations in Afghanistan as a member of NATO.

Harley is not Canadian.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 7:10 am

Penguin wrote:
Spotts1701 wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
You're welcome. Cool

Harley is not Canadian.

Okay, so she's British. My bad. I got her mixed up with someone else. It happens.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 7:24 am

Spotts1701 wrote:
Penguin wrote:
Spotts1701 wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
You're welcome. Cool

Harley is not Canadian.

Okay, so she's British. My bad. I got her mixed up with someone else. It happens.

Well, ya know.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 8:29 am

How the hell can anybody confuse Canada and Britain? Is it because we both have an NHS health system?

Yeah, I know, the UK played America's little bitch, and if we hadn't backed them up they'd have been in on it by themselves and they'd have pulled out a lot faster. God I'm ashamed of my country...
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 8:36 am

This place oughtta be called Kingdom of Self-Loathing.
Back to top Go down
Adagio
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Adagio

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 8:53 am

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:
an NHS health system?

"National Health System health system"?

Jus' sayin'.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 9:19 am

Next she'll be telling us about ATM machines and pizza pies.
Back to top Go down
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 10:29 am

RAS syndrome strikes again!
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 11:57 am

Ah, shut up. According to the news, over 200 people have now been killed in Lybia. According to a young man on the news, one incident involved inviting people into the palace under the pretence of agreeing with them, then opening fire.

Katafi is going to seriously regret that.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:02 pm

Spotts1701 wrote:
Penguin wrote:
Spotts1701 wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
You're welcome. Cool

Harley is not Canadian.

How can you possibly confuse Harley with someone else? She's Harley.

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:
Ah, shut up. According to the news, over 200 people have now been killed in Lybia. According to a young man on the news, one incident involved inviting people into the palace under the pretence of agreeing with them, then opening fire.

Katafi is going to seriously regret that.
Doubt it. Considering his history, I'm pretty sure he doesn't 1) have a conscience or 2) have much chance of being brought to justice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Getting Real In Libya   It's Getting Real In Libya Empty

Back to top Go down

It's Getting Real In Libya
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next