Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt

Go down 
+32
Jesus.
socke puppette
bleachedblackcat
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Mr.Doobie
TheHermit
Nevvy
lemmingwriter
rachel
TheHedonist
Notanoni
WD40
KGarrett
Alhazred
Spotts1701
I_Lam_Edhellen
Penguin
the asylum
Lady Anne
Rabid Badger
Lapin
Braigwen
Snake Bandage
Raine
KelinciHutan
Pierre Gringoire
grmblfjx
Chris91
Mikey Go WOOGA
ZoZo
Adagio
InkWeaver
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Notanoni
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Notanoni

Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 5:14 pm

Penguin wrote:
Notanoni wrote:
Of course, how stupid of me! That's why the news is full of reports about how Egypt did not shut off the Internet, and how Egypt did successfully shut off all other forms of communication!

Of course it's easier than shutting off the Internet!

If missing the point was a sport, you could go pro. You ever think that there can be forms of control beyond "completely cut off" and "unrestricted, free-flowing?"

That wasn't my point either. I never said it wasn't a problem. I was agreeing with those who stated that cutting off the Internet was a particularly poor way to try to stop a revolution, and that it will make protesters more pissed off and more determined to succeed (and thus is a largely counterproductive move by the government).

Yes, it would be easier to organize with the Internet. Yes, other forms of communication are almost certainly in a state other than unrestricted and free flowing (but then, they never were free-flowing in Egypt's current regime).

Specifically, I was disagreeing with those who thought the loss of the Internet had to be a largely insurmountable problem.

Really, you've been told this before, though you don't want to hear examples.

What, is real-world verifiable info that is a known part of history too unreliable for your personal system of logic to handle?

Why are you so determined to ignore that there have been more political revolutions with no Internet than with one? What part of it don't you understand?
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 9:08 pm

TheHedonist wrote:
Alhazred wrote:
Because the government of Egypt cares that soccer moms in the western world are seeing news coverage of protests and problems that will cause them to say "the government of Egypt should treat it's people better" while taking action in the form of going to the mall to get some shopping done.

...what?
Looks like a wordy and awkward way to say that Egypt doesn't care what the rest of the world thinks, because the rest of the world can't be bothered to act on it.

Notanoni wrote:
That wasn't my point either. I never said it wasn't a problem. I was agreeing with those who stated that cutting off the Internet was a particularly poor way to try to stop a revolution, and that it will make protesters more pissed off and more determined to succeed (and thus is a largely counterproductive move by the government).

So instead of arguing that point, you chose to argue about whether or not revolution is possible without the Internet. scratch

Quote :
Yes, it would be easier to organize with the Internet. Yes, other forms of communication are almost certainly in a state other than unrestricted and free flowing (but then, they never were free-flowing in Egypt's current regime).

And there's another problem: The comment that cutting off the Internet would only piss people off more was in response to Syria cutting off access, where such a move makes more sense. In Egypt, the stage where the Internet matters the most is largely over. But now, it needs to be there to sustain the momentum; that's why the government is still trying to suppress information.

Quote :
Specifically, I was disagreeing with those who thought the loss of the Internet had to be a largely insurmountable problem.

Really, you've been told this before, though you don't want to hear examples.

What, is real-world verifiable info that is a known part of history too unreliable for your personal system of logic to handle?

Why are you so determined to ignore that there have been more political revolutions with no Internet than with one? What part of it don't you understand?

The reason I dismiss the examples of riot and revolution sans Internet is simple: They weren't relevant to what I was saying, especially with regard to the examples that took place before the Internet existed or was even really available to the public. I pointed this out in a previous post, in which you apparently ignored everything but the comment on the ability to control other forms of media. If you're "disagreeing with those who thought the loss of the Internet had to be a largely insurmountable problem," who exactly are you talking to? Because apparently this whole time we should've been talking about whether cutting the Internet off is counter-productive or not; instead we've been arguing about whether it's relevant.

So, in that case, I would have to bring up the relatively recent election protests in Iran. Here, we have a case of protests occurring when the Internet is both in existence and fairly widely used. Here, the government scrambled to control the accessibility of information through the Internet but they didn't, or were unable to cut off access entirely. People didn't get fired up because the government took their WoW away when they went on an IP-blocking spree; they got out and protested because they were being informed of the government's crimes in near-real time.

Really, people being inconvenienced by having their Internet taken away pales in comparison to learning that the state police are "disappearing" their neighbors, friends and family. You can bet other oppressive regimes, like Egypt and Syria's, were paying close attention to how the protests played out. They clearly see the Internet as a serious threat.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 5:55 am

Put on Al Jazeera now!. One million people in Tahrir Square. Stirring stuff.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 7:54 am

Now violence has erupted between Mubarak supporters and protesters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Adagio
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Adagio

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 10:35 am

The Yahoo article was rather misleading, I found. Every account indicates that this was staged; there've been claims (a lot of) the pro-Mubarak protesters are actually not protesters at all, but plainclothes police. I'm to angry to properly articulate my thoughts about the lowness of this move, but the Guardian has good stuff, as always.
Back to top Go down
rachel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
rachel

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 11:54 am

CNN news crew roughed up by pro-Mubarak thugs. It looks like these goons don't want anybody filming what they're doing.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 6:55 pm

rachel wrote:
CNN news crew roughed up by pro-Mubarak thugs. It looks like these goons don't want anybody filming what they're doing.
Dear Pro-Mubarak People,

If you're trying to gain sympathy for your cause, you're doing it wrong. The media is not going to write or broadcast favorable reports when you beat them up.

kthxbye
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 7:10 pm

You'd think they'd be nicer to the people who're in bed with their regime. Surprised the US coverage hasn't all been propaganda in favour of Mubarak's thugs.
Back to top Go down
rachel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
rachel

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 7:21 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
rachel wrote:
Dear Pro-Mubarak People,

If you're trying to gain sympathy for your cause, you're doing it wrong. The media is not going to write or broadcast favorable reports when you beat them up.

kthxbye
Anderson Cooper got punched in the head 10 times, the story says. He may not be a top dog in broadcast news, but he's not exactly a nobody.
Back to top Go down
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 11:55 pm

Apparently, my university was on the news today because of an anti-Mubarak demonstration. At least, I think it was anti-Mubarak. When will student protesters learn that you can't get your message across if you don't enunciate your chants? "Hey hey, ho ho, garblegarblegarble go!" just confuses people.

I was surprised they got attention. We have at least one protest a quarter here--media outlets never show up. But this got coverage, according to my parents (I was teaching all day, so I missed 98% of it). And there were all of fifty people out there--on par with fee hike protests, actually.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 5:39 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Aaahhh, failbook.
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 8:17 am

rachel wrote:

Which probably explains why they also hassled Christiane Amanpour.
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 8:43 am

grmblfjx wrote:

Aaahhh, failbook.

oh america.

never change.
Back to top Go down
Nevvy
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 10:36 am

I can't find an english news source for it, but the military or police have arrested a Swedish reporter, Bert Sundström, and nobody knows where he is.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 11:13 am

the asylum wrote:
oh america.

never change.

Judging from the Asian assumption, that probably wasn't American.
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Penguin wrote:
the asylum wrote:
oh america.

never change.

I maintain it is perfectly reasonable to assume someone on the internet who does not know the difference between Asia and Africa is American. Colbert
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 8:28 pm

TheHermit wrote:
Penguin wrote:
the asylum wrote:
oh america.

never change.

I maintain it is perfectly reasonable to assume someone on the internet who does not know the difference between Asia and Africa is American. Colbert

Assumption that a brown person is Asian is more of a UK/European thing. I'd expect an American to assume Africa first for anything up to and including Afghanistan, so it's not like I'm saying Americans have a better grasp of geography.

Anyhoo:

Threatening reporters is usually a bad idea.

Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 1:57 pm

Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 4:18 pm

grmblfjx wrote:

Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 961878
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 4:24 pm

Well I'm sure he won't simply give up at the end of his term only to be replaced by someone promising hope and change but delivering neither.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 6:22 pm

I wouldn't say it's gotten God-Awful yet, at least by the news we in England are getting. But I would say that it's getting pretty close. The current dictator is setting his supporters against the rebels.

Personally, if I was him I'd be skipping the country and buying a nice place free of risk of death to retire to before he finds himself being paddled up shit creek, headless.

President Mubarak, you've had your fun. You said it yourself; you're fed up of being in power. Now might be a good time to get out and let somebody else take the rap.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Quote :
I wouldn't say it's gotten God-Awful yet,

Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 6:45 pm

If you LOOKED, you'd also notice the part where I also said '

Quote :
at least by the news we in England are getting. But I would say that it's getting pretty close.

Maybe English news isn't making it look so bad. Or maybe I missed a report.

Give it... I'm guessing 24 hours. Or less. Right now we're up shit creek, but we do have a boat and also a paddle. 24 hours and the rioters will remove not only the paddle but also the boat and also, somebody important enough to be reported dead will be dead. And probably their family too.

In other words, at the moment it's still safe for English reporters to be in the country and talking to protestors. The rioting is still fairly moderate. 24 hours, and it won't be.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 12:02 am

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:
The current dictator is setting his supporters against the rebels.

Not to mention taking police off the streets and opening the doors to a prison to let gangs of criminals roam free. This explains why there have been reports of "protesters" looting.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 9:07 am

Doubtless to make protesters look bad and him look more vital.

Like I said, 24 hours and it'll be civil war. Well, more like about 9 hours now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt   Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Shit Has Gotten Real in Egypt
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next