Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Baby dies of whooping cough

Go down 
+38
rachel
Ellym
Azzandra
myeerah
Penguin
Lapin
Jesus.
Hot Cancer
Reepicheep-chan
TheHedonist
Sutremaine
TheHermit
Sheba
VenusRain
Rabid Badger
Mikey Go WOOGA
rae
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Mr.Doobie
grmblfjx
Jay/Cris
The Unoriginal
Nevvy
vade
pirategrrl
ZoZo
PendragonGirl
Maximilia
Lexin
Cyberwulf
Aggie
Lady Anne
Khajidu
Raine
Saleha
XLT-100852.0
Selenite
Anathema
42 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Anathema

Baby dies of whooping cough Empty
PostSubject: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 1:27 pm

aka vaccinate your fucking kids

Quote :

A baby boy, who had been diagnosed with whooping cough, died at a San
Diego hospital, becoming the first fatality from the disease in nearly
a decade, county health officials said Thursday.

Health officials said the number of whooping cough cases in San Diego
County so far this year is nearly double the level for all of 2009, and
is on track to set a new record.

I seriously can't stress enough how freaking important it is to get basic vaccinations. I did a research paper last semester on social and herd immunity and this whole trend of "I'm not going to vaccinate my kid" has been leading to break outs of diseases in communities where they're not vaccinating.

The threshold of immunity is something like 95% for whooping cough, meaning if more than 5% of people go vaccinated, people start getting/dying from it again.
Back to top Go down
Selenite

Selenite

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 1:36 pm

Very disturbing. How long will it be til Polio starts reappearing?
Back to top Go down
XLT-100852.0
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
XLT-100852.0

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 1:45 pm

But at least the baby won't grow up to be *gasp* autistic.

When do children get vaccinated for whooping cough, anyway?
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 2:09 pm

BUT BUT BUT VACCINATIONS ARE EVIL! JENNY MCCARTHY AND JIM CARREY SAY SO SO IT MUST BE TRRRUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEE!

... because the chance of contracting polio, diphteria, whooping cough, tetanus, measles, mumps etc. is preferable to the (so far unproven in clinical studies!) chance that a child might end up not neurotypical.

Say it with me, friends: Correlation does not equal causation!

XLT: This is what I found after googling it.

Quote :
The first four doses of vaccine for whooping cough are given at 2, 4, 6, and
12-18 months of age. Unfortunately, although babies younger than 2 months can
get whooping cough, the vaccine isn't effective before about 2 months.
However, keeping older kids immune (the last dose of whooping cough vaccine
is given at 5 years of age) helps prevent them from bringing the bug home
from school.

Here some information from the CDC re: vaccinations and safety concerns. BUT THEY'RE EVIL DOCTORS IN BED WITH THE "MAN" AND THEREFORE NOT TO BE TRUSTED, AMIRITE [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://diva-urd.livejournal.com/
XLT-100852.0
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
XLT-100852.0

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 2:22 pm

Her son isn't even autistic, he has some other unknown neurological disorder, and she still won't shut her face.

She also believes that no one born before 1990 has autism or some shit like that.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 2:42 pm

And never mind the fact that vaccinations and its more basic forms have been around for maybe even hundreds of years. Yep, they're definitely "unnatural".
Back to top Go down
Khajidu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Khajidu

Location : on a tall ship far away from the bullshit, on the port side of course

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 2:51 pm

XLT-100852.0 wrote:
She also believes that no one born before 1990 has autism or some shit like that.

HAHAHA I'M OVER 20 STFU BETCH

Baby dies of whooping cough 57786
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 2:58 pm

If vaccinations were the cause of autism, then autism would not have existed before vaccines were invented. It did. Also, if this were the case, then unvaccinated kids would not be autistic. Some are, and also being unvaccinated, run a high risk of catching these diseases. Now you have an autistic kid with a potentially very dangerous disease. Please note: this does help matters any.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 3:05 pm

XLT-100852.0 wrote:

Typical logical fallacy. These people assume that, because there have been more diagnoses of autism spectrum disorders in the last 20 years, there have been more instances of ASD, while the increase in diagnoses might just be attributable to learning more about the condition and therefore refining diagnostic techniques. For example, I don't recall very many people knowing or talking about Asperger's in 1995, or even 2000. The disorder had been identified decades beforehand, but the diagnosis was obviously not given nearly as often as it is today, probably because the symptoms are ambiguous and people who have it tend to function in daily life, even if they have problems with social awkwardness.

Logic? What's that?
Back to top Go down
Aggie
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 3:18 pm

Yes, dead babies are much preferable to potentially autistic ones, right, Jenny McCarthy?
Back to top Go down
Khajidu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Khajidu

Location : on a tall ship far away from the bullshit, on the port side of course

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 3:32 pm

Yes, because dead babies don't embarass you in front of people with their social awkwardness. (I've had much shit IRL because of mine)
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 4:18 pm

I think for some people, maybe of a certain age, things like measles and mumps don't seem like a big deal because they had them as kids and sure they survived. I had measles and mumps as a child (born before the MMR shot was introduced). People forget that these diseases can be serious, or even fatal.
Back to top Go down
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lexin

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 4:24 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
I had measles and mumps as a child (born before the MMR shot was introduced). People forget that these diseases can be serious, or even fatal.
Likewise, I had mumps and measles before the MMR was invented - the difference with me is that I knew (still know) that these "childhood illnesses" were (are) serious as not only was I very ill indeed with measles, I had a cousin who died of it.

Jenny MaCarthy and her ilk make me furious.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mpmrommel.co.uk
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 6:01 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
I think for some people, maybe of a certain age, things like measles and mumps don't seem like a big deal because they had them as kids and sure they survived. I had measles and mumps as a child (born before the MMR shot was introduced). People forget that these diseases can be serious, or even fatal.

I had them both as well, even after being vaccinated. If I had kids though, I'd still vaccinate them. Personal experience =/= fact for everyone, and it's best to be safe rather than sorry.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 6:50 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
I never had either one, probably because I was vaccinated. I did get chicken pox when I was 13, though, and I was sick for three weeks, with high fever and such bad pox that I still carry the scars after more than 20 years.

Cyberwulf, I'm a bit puzzled. Your profile says you're younger than me, yet you weren't vaccinated against measles and mumps, while I was. What gives? Was the vaccine made available in Ireland later than in the U.S.?
Back to top Go down
PendragonGirl
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
PendragonGirl

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 7:53 pm

I'll just leave this here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 7:18 am

Ugh, the anti-vax crowd are just awful. I'm so glad Andrew Wakefield has been thoroughly discredited. Not that that makes a blind bit of difference to that lot. Apparently Big Pharma silenced him so they can go on poisoning our children.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 7:55 am

Lady Anne wrote:
Cyberwulf, I'm a bit puzzled. Your profile says you're younger than me, yet you weren't vaccinated against measles and mumps, while I was. What gives? Was the vaccine made available in Ireland later than in the U.S.?

I was def. born in 1981, so it's possible the MMR wasn't made available in Ireland at the same time as the US. I don't know the timetable for the individual vaccines, if there was one. I don't remember having measles (but I did have them), so I was quite young, and my sister and I had mumps at around the same time but I don't remember my younger brother having them. I think he may have had the MMR. I wasn't vaccinated against rubella till I was twelve, and it was done through the school so obviously at the time that was the norm.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 9:15 am

Cyberwulf wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

I was def. born in 1981, so it's possible the MMR wasn't made available in Ireland at the same time as the US. I don't know the timetable for the individual vaccines, if there was one. I don't remember having measles (but I did have them), so I was quite young, and my sister and I had mumps at around the same time but I don't remember my younger brother having them. I think he may have had the MMR. I wasn't vaccinated against rubella till I was twelve, and it was done through the school so obviously at the time that was the norm.
I remember that a new strain of measles appeared about 1990 (or at least that's when it appeared here in the U.S.). My parents had my sisters and me re-vaccinated against it, but one sister had already been exposed and came down with measles anyway. Luckily, she had a mild case with no lasting effects, though my mother was worried, because when she herself had measles at age 5 (in 1952, before there was a vaccine) she had a severe case that could have left her blind. Luckily, her new stepmother was a nurse and knew how to treat measles--she made Mom stay in a dark room until she recovered.
Back to top Go down
pirategrrl
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
pirategrrl

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 1:23 pm

PendragonGirl wrote:
I'll just leave this here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Was distracted by your awesome avatar.

But yes, vaccinations and whatnot. Kids needs 'em.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fictionpress.com/~pirategrrl
vade

vade

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 1:37 pm

I'm still trying to figure out why this anti-vaccination mentality is still prevalent. The autism link has been discredited over and over again.
Back to top Go down
Nevvy
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 2:05 pm

vade wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out why this anti-vaccination mentality is still prevalent. The autism link has been discredited over and over again.

I guess people are just scared of needles and will use any excuse to save themselves and their bebehs from them. Better run the risk of dying than deal with a few seconds' sting, eh?
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 2:13 pm

vade wrote:

Mob reasoning. Science is sponsored by various groups they disagree with and therefore biased to produce results made to further an agenda (tm). Ergo, people in white coats are distrusted while "common people" with anecdotal evidence have all the answers. It's probably rooted in the primitive human instinct to fear what one doesn't understand.
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 3:18 pm

It's not only autism... there are claims that the WHO has introduced human corionic gonadotropin in the tetan vaccines to prevent pregnancies, and some religious/pro-life groups active in Latin America will pound into the head of young girls that if they get the tetanus vaccine they're in for a life of miscarriages.

The case is a bit controversial. People were allegedly puzzled that only perspective mothers were enrolled in the vaccination campaigns, in spite of men being at greater risk(?) - but the WHO does have a target of eradicating maternal and neonatal tetanus in those areas where medical care at birth is still primitive. Detection of HCG in the tetanus vaccine vials may be a false positive, and to add further confusion, "contraceptive vaccines" using tetanus do exist.

The worldwide mortality rate for neonatal tetanus is around 60,000 deaths per year - and that's even before including the mothers.

Some also claim that the tetanus shot kills your thyroid, and here I am, vaccinated and with Hashimoto's but not believing a word of it - what the fuck would be that for?
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 3:36 pm

Well I do know (and this is from a doctor) that there's a maximum limit on the number of tetanus jabs you can have before it does more harm than good. I had to be vaccinated for my work and couldn't remember if I'd already had four or five jabs, so he decided to err on the side of caution (here most people have had four by the time they reach college-age) and not give me one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough Empty

Back to top Go down

Baby dies of whooping cough
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next