Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings

Go down 
+35
Maximilia
EileenK98
caffeine addict
WD40
Adagio
The Alien from Uranus
lemmingwriter
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
KelinciHutan
Majin Gojira
Lapin
Somath Cegem
Anon
Psy-4
saeku
Sutremaine
Lady Anne
Cyberwulf
InkWeaver
Spotts1701
Verandering
TheHermit
Malganis
GamemasterAnthony
maladroit_mooncalf
pirategrrl
Penguin
The Unoriginal
tim gueguen
Rabid Badger
Dr. Quinzel
gaijinguy
Mikey Go WOOGA
kuroineko
the asylum
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 5:00 pm

Actually, if you had the time and the right equipment, you could construct abestos versions of the Quaran, then appear to the preacher of this church as a fellow Christian who wants to see Muslims converted, thenoffer him all the 'free' Quarans he wanted. It'd be worth it to see what'd happen when they tried to light a pile of them on fire and they refuse to burn.

One can but dream...
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 5:11 pm

Penguin wrote:
Nihilist wrote:
It's just intent- burning another religious text, no matter how retarded both seem, is disrespectful.

I don't see any reason to be respectful of willful delusion. Christianity included.

So you essentially have the same attitude that these Christians do, except you're lumping in Christianity as a delusion as well.

It doesn't matter whether they don't believe in the Quran, still doesn't give them the moral right to piss Muslim people off and turn them away by burning their book as some sort of half-assed protest. Like I said, it's counter-productive.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Penguin wrote:
Nihilist wrote:
It's just intent- burning another religious text, no matter how retarded both seem, is disrespectful.

I R ATHEIST I M SMRT
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
Actually, if you had the time and the right equipment, you could construct abestos versions of the Quaran, then appear to the preacher of this church as a fellow Christian who wants to see Muslims converted, thenoffer him all the 'free' Quarans he wanted. It'd be worth it to see what'd happen when they tried to light a pile of them on fire and they refuse to burn.

One can but dream...
I would love to see the look on the preacher's face if that happened.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Penguin wrote:
I don't see any reason to be respectful of willful delusion. Christianity included.
And you don't have any beliefs that another person could see as willful delusion?
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 6:07 pm

Sutremaine wrote:
Penguin wrote:
And you don't have any beliefs that another person could see as willful delusion?
Perhaps everything is willful delusion. Maybe we're just brains floating in a nutrient solution and just think we believe what we believe.

Alternately, perhaps nothing is willful delusion. Perhaps everything is true (including furries, badfic, and dinosaurs with saddles).

I think, therefore I am. I think, therefore I am not.

[/bull session philosophy]
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
saeku
Fapmaster
Fapmaster

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 6:17 pm

Penguin wrote:

If we burned everything that creates willful delusion I'd have nothing left to wank to.
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 7:25 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
Perhaps everything is willful delusion. Maybe we're just brains floating in a nutrient solution and just think we believe what we believe.
Mm-hm. If everything or nothing is delusion, then it can be safely discounted when deciding how to react to other people. If everybody's delusional anyway, why judge people based on their delusions?
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 10:36 pm

TheHermit wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 10:37 pm

Sutremaine wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
Mm-hm. If everything or nothing is delusion, then it can be safely discounted when deciding how to react to other people. If everybody's delusional anyway, why judge people based on their delusions?

Cue SCIENCE!
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 10:50 pm

Yeah... wait.
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 11:45 pm

delusion wrote:
–noun 1. an act or instance of deluding.

2. the state of being deluded.

3. a false belief or opinion: delusions of grandeur.

4. Psychiatry . a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact: a paranoid delusion.

Since it seems tossing this word around is going to be a "thing" I figured bringing up a definition would be useful.

Oh, and no sidestepping the issue by saying nothing matters because we can't be sure if it's real. You can certainly say, "Oh, everything is a delusion and nothing is real", but calling the physical world a delusion doesn't stop its effects on you. If you get hit by a truck going 80 miles/hour, you will fucking die regardless of whether you believe the truck is "real" or not. We treat the world as "real" because what happens in it matters. Therefore, it only makes sense to treat the physical world as a "real" thing, and delusion as a serious ailment as opposed to a masturbation aid for faux-intellectuals.

Sutremaine wrote:
Mm-hm. If everything or nothing is delusion, then
it can be safely discounted when deciding how to react to other people.
If everybody's delusional anyway, why judge people based on their
delusions?
muslim terrorist == little old lady who goes to church on Sundays == Fred Phelps == Mahatma Ghandi

they all have delusions so they're all the same
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:40 am

When Hermit's teacher asked him to prove that the physical world was real, he ran the teacher over with a car. And got an A+.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:46 am

TheHermit wrote:

Oh, and no sidestepping the issue by saying nothing matters because we can't be sure if it's real. You can certainly say, "Oh, everything is a delusion and nothing is real", but calling the physical world a delusion doesn't stop its effects on you. If you get hit by a truck going 80 miles/hour, you will fucking die regardless of whether you believe the truck is "real" or not. We treat the world as "real" because what happens in it matters. Therefore, it only makes sense to treat the physical world as a "real" thing, and delusion as a serious ailment as opposed to a masturbation aid for faux-intellectuals.

Now why do I feel there's a fallacy lurking here? Quick, someone less lazy than me!

Oh, that works, Psy. Thanks. <3
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 am

saeku wrote:
Penguin wrote:

If we burned everything that creates willful delusion I'd have nothing left to wank to.

He's not saying burn everything that causes willful delusion. He's saying no one is under any obligation to respect it and people can burn shit they own.

As long as it's not some attempt at fraud or doesn't totally shatter any fire safety laws.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:34 am

InkWeaver wrote:
Now why do I feel there's a fallacy lurking here? Quick, someone less lazy than me!

Oh, that works, Psy. Thanks. <3
If more-vigilant-than-thou is a fallacious method of arguing then yes.

Sutremaine was arguing for the relativity of the Truth, and that not believing in god looks like a willful delusion to religious people.

The trouble is, she was responding to Penguin (who painted THE ATHIEST ATHEIST DERP on his forehead), and the trouble with atheists is that they go with science like a goosestepping nazi army (just ask the 97% of academia who reject religion wholesale), and science is used to define reality (and has a pretty damn good track record), so beliefs of atheists are very concise with reality and truth (you can disagree, but good luck passing high school science courses).

So when you say(or imply) that beliefs of atheists are delusions in any way(while you have modern civilization and technology behind you), the best response you can get is a deep sigh and silent promises that when they finally find a cure for cancer, they won't set fire to the lab and murder everyone involved, just to spite you.

But it's not necessary to attack the hidden link that Sutremaine, probably, missed, when there is enough grounds to argue using Sut's own posts. Which is done in the second part of Hermit's post. (the first part was him throwing down the glove so hard that it bounced off and poked out an eye with its middle finger)

Sutremaine wrote:
If everybody's delusional anyway, why judge people based on their delusions?
Because people tend to act on their delusions, and there is a big difference between detonating forty pounds of explosives strapped to your chest, and saving a girl from a fire.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 3:03 am

Malganis wrote:
So you essentially have the same attitude that these Christians do, except you're lumping in Christianity as a delusion as well.

Nope, I'm not pimping salvation.

Quote :
It doesn't matter whether they don't believe in the Quran, still doesn't give them the moral right to piss Muslim people off and turn them away by burning their book as some sort of half-assed protest.

"Moral" right? No. It doesn't have anything to do with a moral high ground. They do have the right, though.

Quote :
Like I said, it's counter-productive.

Most acts of protest are.
Sutremaine wrote:

Everyone does, especially when you put in the extremely subjective "another person could see as" in there. But it seems we only feel a need to protect the outright irrational when it's claimed to be holy.
saeku wrote:
Penguin wrote:

Well, this forum's a good example. Do we respect fangirls' belief that Edward or the actor who plays him is meant for them and them alone?
Back to top Go down
Anon
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Anon

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:07 pm

Penguin wrote:
Malganis wrote:
You have an irrational belief in the non-existence of God(s) and believe that everyone who disagrees with you is delusional. The rational stance is to say that it is impossible to know either way.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:21 pm

Anon wrote:
Penguin wrote:
Malganis wrote:
You have an irrational belief in the non-existence of God(s) and believe that everyone who disagrees with you is delusional. The rational stance is to say that it is impossible to know either way.

Not in the slightest. Sure, whether a god or god exists cannot yet be proven. However, pretty much any religious belief system can be proven wrong because they go so much farther than saying "God exists."
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:26 pm

Obligatory:

Back to top Go down
saeku
Fapmaster
Fapmaster

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:59 pm

Penguin wrote:
saeku wrote:
Penguin wrote:

Well, this forum's a good example. Do we respect fangirls' belief that Edward or the actor who plays him is meant for them and them alone?

No, we mock it. Which is different than setting things on fire.

Also, I resent Psy-4 for implying that atheists are responsible for science. Historically, most scientists have not been atheists. The current correlation between science and atheism is mostly because pretty much all currently popular religions have anti-scientific elements.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 2:06 pm

And how is that relevant to the current situation?

Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 2:15 pm

Anon wrote:
Special pleading. In every other case in our lives, we do not accept a positive claim merely because there is no evidence it is wrong; there must be at least some evidence it is true. If you accept an idea as true simply because there's no evidence against it, why don't you believe in unicorns, leprechauns, and an elegantly crafted teapot orbiting Jupiter? The answer is that you don't; you offer this exclusive right to religion, and there is no compelling reason why it should be granted such clemency.
Back to top Go down
saeku
Fapmaster
Fapmaster

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 2:49 pm

Psy-4 wrote:
And how is that relevant to the current situation?
No real relevance. I just find it amusing that somebody who's talking about how awesome science is at defining reality is confusing correlation with causation.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 3:00 pm

TheHermit wrote:
Anon wrote:
Special pleading. In every other case in our lives, we do not accept a positive claim merely because there is no evidence it is wrong; there must be at least some evidence it is true. If you accept an idea as true simply because there's no evidence against it, why don't you believe in unicorns, leprechauns, and an elegantly crafted teapot orbiting Jupiter? The answer is that you don't; you offer this exclusive right to religion, and there is no compelling reason why it should be granted such clemency.
Correction. All testing done in a scientific manor is the stating of hypothesis and attempting to prove it wrong, if you are able to do so a significant number times then the hypothesis is thrown out.
However if the experiment does not do this the hypothesis is put forward as a theory.
You can apply the same to your other examples, unicorns, leprechauns and teapots that orbit jupiter would leave physical evidence of there presence so can be tested.
The very idea of god is that technically he exists on another plane of existence (another thing which is very hard to prove or disprove, though certain groups of physicists are fond of trying to prove it one way or the other) unless heaven really is a place on earth so it's kinda hard to test either way.

tldr, It is just as impossible to prove as it is to disprove the existence of God (while given science today it is rather easy to disprove teapots orbiting Jupiter), which if you think about it makes sense cause otherwise it wouldn't be called faith.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings   Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Florida church to hold 9/11 Quaran burnings
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next