Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Feminism gone wrong Thread

Go down 
+41
ZoZo
Lapin
Penguin
Reidmar
theweirdkind
Verandering
Sloth
V3N0M
Delcat
grmblfjx
Miss Prince
Lurv
Jay/Cris
Mystique
Mary Sue
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Waffles
Rabid Badger
Sarin
Mr.Doobie
Ayezur
Mikey Go WOOGA
saeku
bleachedblackcat
Twonky
Cyberwulf
Lady Anne
Hot Cancer
Mafiosa
Bamshalam
Sheba
Root Admin
Spotts1701
InkWeaver
Kateness
Mae Bedlam
unskilled78
Dr. Professor Science
Knorg
Lysander
Psy-4
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

Feminism gone wrong Thread - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feminism gone wrong Thread   Feminism gone wrong Thread - Page 6 EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 6:55 am

Cyberwulf wrote:
The burqa itself isn't the problem. It's the attitude behind forcing women to wear them that's the problem. Just banning it won't do anything to tackle that.

The problem is the culture teaching women that they're inferior to men and if they don't wear the burqa they will go to hell. Ergo the women want to wear the burqa out of fear of hell as well as out of fear of having a hand chopped off.

It's like believing in god, just in case.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Feminism gone wrong Thread   Feminism gone wrong Thread - Page 6 EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 11:11 am

And it isn't just the burqa that's been banned. Any sort of veiling has been banned in some places. Remember this includes headscarves, and covering the hair is practiced by a whole lot more people than just Muslims. The Amish, as one example.

And Harley, not all women think, "OH I WILL GO TO HELL IF I DO NOT WEAR A BURQA/HEADSCARF/WTF ever." I know three Muslim women who do not feel that it is necessary, but wear it to demonstrate their submission to Allah. These are women who have had to fight, sometimes almost come to actual blows in one case, to be able to wear their headscarves anywhere they please.

Nthing that it's bullshit for anyone to tell women what they can or can't wear. Also wishing that that white, Western women (the ones so often telling these women that they're oppressed simply because they are Muslim) would realize Muslim women DO THINK FOR THEMSELVES.
Back to top Go down
LightHorseman

LightHorseman

PostSubject: Re: Feminism gone wrong Thread   Feminism gone wrong Thread - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 12:56 am

Lysander wrote:
Psy-4 wrote:
That enbiggening the discourse

Is . . . is that a Simpsons reference?

Please let that be a Simpsons reference.
What are you talking about? Its a perfectly cromulent word.
Back to top Go down
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_of_the_Wolf
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Feminism gone wrong Thread   Feminism gone wrong Thread - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 7:30 pm

rae wrote:
And it isn't just the burqa that's been banned. Any sort of veiling has been banned in some places. Remember this includes headscarves, and covering the hair is practiced by a whole lot more people than just Muslims. The Amish, as one example.

And Harley, not all women think, "OH I WILL GO TO HELL IF I DO NOT WEAR A BURQA/HEADSCARF/WTF ever." I know three Muslim women who do not feel that it is necessary, but wear it to demonstrate their submission to Allah. These are women who have had to fight, sometimes almost come to actual blows in one case, to be able to wear their headscarves anywhere they please.

Nthing that it's bullshit for anyone to tell women what they can or can't wear. Also wishing that that white, Western women (the ones so often telling these women that they're oppressed simply because they are Muslim) would realize Muslim women DO THINK FOR THEMSELVES.

I had a female doctor from the middle east when I was younger that I'm assuming was Muslim. She didn't wear the full outfit, but she did dress very modestly (skirts below the knees, long-sleeved blouses even in the summer, etc.) She kept her head covered, though what she wore reminded me more of the white clothes you see on nuns now that they no longer wear full habits.

In any event, neither her religion or her dress affected her ability to do her job-she was one of the best doctor's I ever had. And we've got so many Amish and Mennonites around here, I seriously doubt most people who saw her in public realized she was Muslim. I know she didn't see male patients, but on the other hand, urologists see mostly male patients, and I've never heard anyone claim that was discrimination. The practice she was in had more than enough doctors (male and female) who were willing to see male patients.

Mind you, all this took place long before 9/11, so I suppose people wouln't be nearly as tolerant now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feminism gone wrong Thread   Feminism gone wrong Thread - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Feminism gone wrong Thread
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6