Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mary Travers Dead at 72

Go down 
+8
quamp
Narwhal
Chris91
EileenK98
karmyn31
Mikey Go WOOGA
Sparrow
Lady Anne
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

Mary Travers Dead at 72 Empty
PostSubject: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Link

For those of you who don't know, Mary Travers was one third of the folk trio Peter, Paul, and Mary, who made hits in the '60's with songs like Puff the Magic Dragon and Blowin' in the Wind. I wasn't around then, but my parents were (and still are) fans, so I grew up listening to their music.

Quote :
BOSTON – Mary Travers, who as one-third of the hugely popular 1960s folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary helped popularize such tunes as "Puff (The Magic Dragon)" and "If I Had a Hammer," died Wednesday after battling leukemia for several years. She was 72.
The band's publicist, Heather Lylis, says Travers died at Danbury Hospital in Connecticut.
Bandmate Peter Yarrow said that in her final months, Travers handled her declining health with bravery and generosity, showing her love to friends and family "with great dignity and without restraint."
"It was, as Mary always was, honest and completely authentic," he said. "That's the way she sang, too; honestly and with complete authenticity."
Noel "Paul" Stookey, the trio's other member, praised Travers for her inspiring activism, "especially in her defense of the defenseless."
"I am deadened and heartsick beyond words to consider a life without Mary Travers and honored beyond my wildest dreams to have shared her spirit and her career," he said.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Rest in peace, Mary. You were one of the twentieth century's great artists.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Sparrow
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Mary Travers Dead at 72 309696 I was just listening to "500 Miles" earlier tonight.
Back to top Go down
http://sparrow779.livejournal.com/
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 11:13 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
For those of you who don't know, Mary Travers was one third of the folk trio Peter, Paul, and Mary,

And nothing of value was lost.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 11:34 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
For those of you who don't know, Mary Travers was one third of the folk trio Peter, Paul, and Mary,

Of course not. In your view, only sports have value.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
karmyn31
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
karmyn31

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 11:45 pm

Henry Gibson died, too.

Mikey, you have nothing to contribute. Just stop. Or you'll be the next death that's reported.
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 6:53 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

Die, Mikey! Die in a fire! :explode:
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 8:07 am

Or better yet, in a hail of bullets.
Back to top Go down
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 8:16 am

Now it's only Peter and Paul. How sad. And gay.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 10:23 am

Lady Anne wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

Of course not. In your view, only sports have value.

But...

What about video games and b00bs? Mary Travers Dead at 72 309696

Karmy wrote:
Mikey, you have nothing to contribute. Just stop. Or you'll be the next death that's reported.

You'd actually consider my death to be bad news?! I love you

Chris91 wrote:
Or better yet, in a hail of bullets.

You're doing that thing again where your posts accomplish nothing but waste a second and a half of time of everyone who read them. I mean, it wasn't funny, it wasn't trying to be funny, it didn't contribute, and it wasn't even trolling.
Back to top Go down
karmyn31
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
karmyn31

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 12:31 pm

Mikey, this is where I reach through the screen and beat the shit out of you.
And no, your death would not be bad news.
And you're doing exactly what you're accusing Chris of doing. You used to almost be tolerable. You were fun to poke at. Now you're just the biggest douche in the universe.
Back to top Go down
quamp
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
quamp

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 5:33 pm

karmyn31 wrote:

You mean he's caught my syndrome? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is one of those generational things. If you're under 25, chances are you haven't heard anything by Peter, Paul and Mary and just don't care. Anyone over 25 will have at least heard some of the songs she left behind. I liked some of the stuff they did. They were not just about singing, but singing to raise the social conscious of the world. That's something that is a dying art.
Back to top Go down
http://quamp.deviantart.com
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 5:40 pm

quamp wrote:
This is one of those generational things. If you're under 25, chances are you haven't heard anything by Peter, Paul and Mary and just don't care. Anyone over 25 will have at least heard some of the songs she left behind. I liked some of the stuff they did. They were not just about singing, but singing to raise the social conscious of the world. That's something that is a dying art.
Oh quamp, thank you for making such a great generalization. It's nice to know that, since I'm under 25, I've never heard anything by Peter, Paul, and Mary. Oh wait, I have. Did I just kill your theory?
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 5:44 pm

theweirdkind wrote:
quamp wrote:
Oh quamp, thank you for making such a great generalization. It's nice to know that, since I'm under 25, I've never heard anything by Peter, Paul, and Mary. Oh wait, I have. Did I just kill your theory?
I am 25 and have heard of them. They're not exactly my favoriteyest group ever, but there you go. So, there's another nail for the coffin.
Back to top Go down
quamp
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
quamp

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 6:09 pm

I didn't say it was absolute, I just said that people who have heard of them are more likely to be older.
Back to top Go down
http://quamp.deviantart.com
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 6:53 pm

^
Well, people under 25 may or may not have a father who likes old, crappy music.* Razz

Which is the only way I knew this group ever existed.

I'm not saying all old music is crappy, just the stuff my dad may or may not like. There's plenty of good old music. Like AC/DC or early Metallica or George Thorogood or Motley Crue.
Back to top Go down
Aggie
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 9:57 pm

Narwhal wrote:
Now it's only Peter and Paul. How sad. And gay.

Is that what people are going to say when Bram Morrison (of Sharon, Lois and Bram fame) passes away before the other two? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
karmyn31
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
karmyn31

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 10:33 pm

Maybe it's the way I was raised on old music, but I laugh when people mention music from the 1970s and 1980s as old.
The world existed long before 1989, Mikey. I have a theory that 1989 was a bad year to be born. I have a cousin who was born in 1989 and he's not smart enough to be a half-wit.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 10:37 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

Get creative, Mikey. You say the same thing every time someone dies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mary Travers Dead at 72   Mary Travers Dead at 72 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mary Travers Dead at 72
Page 1 of 1