Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Overrated Games

Go down 
+43
WD40
Disco Stu
Rulke55
Aggie
V3N0M
Eeveegou
Kevin M
Raine
XLT-100852.0
TheIan
myeerah
JxKfan
Lurv
TheHermit
Mafiosa
Saleha
Sloth
frostflowers
Maximilia
Kari Izumi
Exodia's Right Leg
Electron Blue
Waffles
Alhazred
Miss Prince
Manny
theweirdkind
Notomys mordax
Delcat
Lysander
Penguin
Kitbug
Somath Cegem
saeku
KGarrett
Mae Bedlam
Freezer
KJM
Mikey Go WOOGA
Dick Powers
Rizale
unskilled78
Chaltab
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Rulke55

Overrated Games - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overrated Games   Overrated Games - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:35 am

I did not say I hate the games, more that they're overrated. I swear this is second time been misunderstood when the topic here is overrated game, not ones I hate, just overrated.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: Overrated Games   Overrated Games - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:54 am

Rulke55 wrote:
I did not say I hate the games, more that they're overrated. I swear this is second time been misunderstood when the topic here is overrated game, not ones I hate, just overrated.

Mikey did note this:

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
First of all, because you're a raging cookiepuss and don't agree with the game's "message" or whatever doesn't mean a game is bad. It may be overrated because there is an insane following of overzealous neckbeards for that game.

Also, your original post does, kinda, hint that your problem with the game is your opinion of it's story, mixedwith you not liking it personally:

Rulke55 wrote:
Okay I only ever played the first and never saw huge attraction of it, but I would say God of War, sure it's got great hack-n-slash elements, but when it comes down to it there revenge and then their being sociopathic asshole. At least in the most famous revenge story Count of Monte Cristo, Edmund Dantes shows no one can live for revenge or vengeance and hurt all these people without consequences. Kratos waltzes up and defeats a whole pantheon pretty much and is allowed. I call bullshit, but maybe that's what it is, but then it's promoting revenge which is far more questionable than anything.

Those who live for revenge should realize in the end how they wasted their lives.

Just my opinion.

For what it's worth, I think Kratos' story arc in the original game does highlight that his revenge-driven life is empty and that he realises this once he completes his quest for vengeance.

Spoiler:

Gameplay wise, yes God of War is inferior, graphically and via gameplay, to Devil May Cry, which debuted nearly 4 years earlier. It's GoW's story that elevates it and I think it earns that.

I think the reputation that the first game has is deserved - it's certainly not my cup of tea, regardless, I only played it so I could join the "video games are art" conversations that tagged along with it.

The rest of the series, however, is pretty poor. Few to none of those games match the original, and they shouldn't try. GoW was a unique storytelling experiment - that's where it's popularity (at least in the beard scratching, artsy crowd) comes from.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Overrated Games   Overrated Games - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 4:08 pm

The first God of War is a game I just love to hate. From the enemy AI spamming the same attack moves while you're pinned in a corner to the hazards you can't avoid even when you mash the jump button is maddening. The puzzles are sometimes clever (like that garden maze puzzle in GoWIII, it was like M.C. Escher just splooged in your brain) but the platforming and quick-time events get tiresome.

If anything, the story and Krato's arcing development across the games is really one of the only meriting elements in the series. And that's really the aspect I liked. The few and far between boss battles across the games (especially in the first and second) were all unique and actually quite brilliant.

The first one was frustratingly, controller-breaking difficult, even on normal in some places, and the second even moreso, but at least in the second, there were some great improvements, not just in controls and gameplay, but the graphics and set pieces. You could look around an area and just see the scope and scale of your area, even if it's set as a background down a linear corridor. It gave the game depth.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Overrated Games   Overrated Games - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 10:04 am

I am going to go ahead and quote Coelasquid here for shits and giggles.

Quote :
Kratos, on the other hand is like… perpetually exhaustingly angry. And when he runs out of angry, he’s sad. He’s just this constant torrent of unrestrained heart-on-his-sleeve emotional whiplash. He’s never the cocky, aloof, too-cool-for-school emotionally distant robot you expect to play in a macho action dude game, he just kind of exists in this cycle of getting all angried out and trying to kill himself until someone on the suicide watch crew can find him a new thing to be angry about. He’s the only game hero I can think of who’s like “Oh man, I checked everything off my to-do list and now I’m out of things to be mad at, I am so drained I think I’m going to kill myself now”
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

PostSubject: Re: Overrated Games   Overrated Games - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 am

I think the second God of War is one of the most visually appealing games I've ever seen or played. The places where you go around murdering tons of people just look incredibly gorgeous, and then there's stuff like the shadow battle against the spartan messenger that just take it to the level of art.

Kratos himself is a bore. He irradiates manpain from all pores - oh, I killed my own family by mistake because some dick was messing with my head, I HAVE SO MUCH PAIN, NOBODY CAN OFFER ME SYMPATHY BECAUSE NOBODY COULD POSSIBLY APPROACH OR UNDERSTAND THE PAIN I FEEL, MY PAIN IS THE MOST PAINIEST PAIN THAT EVER EXISTED AND MAKES EVERYONE ELSE'S LIVES UNIMPORTANT IN COMPARISON. Then he goes around causing pain to untold amounts of people (that's especially ugly in the first game). If you get in Kratos' way, he will kill you. If you happen to have something Kratos wants, he will kill you. If you don't make it your life's mission to help Kratos the moment he shows up at your door, he will kill you. He will probably kill you if you do, as well. All in the name of his almighty manpain.
Back to top Go down
ViewSonic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
ViewSonic

PostSubject: Re: Overrated Games   Overrated Games - Page 6 EmptyFri May 24, 2013 7:47 am

When I was young, I used to throw rocks at things.

Windows, trees, buckets, the neighbor's cat.

That was kind of fun. Does rock throwing deserve a nine out of ten?

I realize I will attract lots of hate for this, but I JUST have to say that I played it through, and didn't like it.

PSYCHONAUTS

What? What? I think it's an irritating game to play. The platforming sucks and the platforming is half the game. Of course the other half is the story, graphical style, dialog, characters, and innovative ideas, all of which I think are great and clever. It plays like crap though.

I'd be one of the first people to buy a sequel if it fixed these problems, though.
Back to top Go down
Hawaiian Shirt
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Hawaiian Shirt

PostSubject: Re: Overrated Games   Overrated Games - Page 6 EmptyFri May 24, 2013 8:57 am

I'm gonna put on my Backwards Hat and toss out that I replayed Final Fantasy 8 recently and I think I loved it.

OKAY yeah I know Squall is a whiner, but he dealt with the following things within maybe a 3 month timespan:

-disfiguring injury
-really goddamn important test involving beastly embodiment of fire
-non consensual time travel
-enemy country is run by a witch
-seeing the first person he is attracted to
-missiles gonna blow up everyone he knows
-commanding a child army in a floating school
-first person he is attracted to ends up in magic coma
-first contact with lost civilization
-MVP in some sort of time loop

There's others but whatever. My point is that he dealt with all that shit on top of being a clinically depressed teenager with anxiety disorder who has scant memories of his childhood of being an orphan in a building that is perpetually being rained on. Plus, basically every single person around him acts like a lunatic. You can talk all the shit you want to but if you had to go on a two week mission with someone like Zell and Selphie you'd probably bring your copy of The Bell Jar too. I dunno if you can blame it on maturity or some other intangible horseshit but while from a distance I can say that he's acting like a baby I can't really say I'd handle all that nonsense without having a conniption or two.

Was FF8 overrated? Like, not is it good or bad, but was it generally considered bad? I seem to remember more hate than love for it.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Reidmar

Location : A string of Code in the Interwebz( IF living = true input ragequit)

PostSubject: Re: Overrated Games   Overrated Games - Page 6 EmptyFri May 24, 2013 11:09 am

I'd say Final Fantasy 7, but... y'know... Ah screw it.

Sephiroth was a shallow and hardly developed character, Crisis core did a better job of fleshing out his backstory and thus making FF7's events a bit more understandable.

Cloud more or less was "OMG I HAVE TO SAVE THE MIDGARS!11one!"

Yuffie's more or less there for comedy support.

Aeris, oh boy... where do I place her: I'd say she was there for the emotional attachment that was there for sephiroth to rip away from cloud to give him even more of an incentive to want the one winged angel who never spoke a damn word aside from the training prologue, and the ending right before you buttfucked him out of your body.

Lets see, Cid? An ex-war pilot who happens to have a grudge against shinra because they 'terk meh jerrrrb'

the black cannon armed dude, more or less was there to fustrate me as his shitty skills were useless outside of brain dead AI (i.e: the entire game)

\rant

Overall, I think it was a decent game, graphics are dated, but back there were good. It lacked a certain overall... I guess progression other than 'kill this, move on, kill this, move on, repeat' Then you more or less fight the thing that is controlling sephiroth before you fight him? That was the personal pet peeve of mine, you'd think that whatever was controlling sephiroth/made him go bat shit insane (read: the parasite Jenova) would send him out first, then rebirth him, THEN come out and fuck you over, THEN her insane 'son' would appear in cloud and try to fight him. But eh, whatever.

\Rant ends
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overrated Games   Overrated Games - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Overrated Games
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6