Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

North Carolina attempts to establish state religion

Go down 
+7
ZOOLANDER
Lady Anne
grmblfjx
Mikey Go WOOGA
Cyberwulf
rae
the asylum
11 posters
AuthorMessage
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

North Carolina attempts to establish state religion Empty
PostSubject: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 1:54 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
Raleigh, N.C. — A bill filed by Republican lawmakers would allow North Carolina to declare an official religion, in violation of the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Bill of Rights, and seeks to nullify any federal ruling against Christian prayer by public bodies statewide.

"The constitution is great! But only when it backs up our own agenda, otherwise it's a flawed crock that needs to be trodden over."

Quote :
"Each state in the union is sovereign and may independently determine how that state may make laws respecting an establishment of religion," it states.

"States rights! States rights! States rights! Don't look up Gitlow v. New York by the way. States rights! States rights!"

Quote :
The bill goes on to say:

SECTION 1. The North Carolina General Assembly asserts that the Constitution of the United States of America does not prohibit states or their subsidiaries from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

SECTION 2. The North Carolina General Assembly does not recognize federal court rulings which prohibit and otherwise regulate the State of North Carolina, its public schools or any political subdivisions of the State from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

"seriously, why can't the feds just let us trample the rights of other people? friggin tyrants, man"

But don't worry, such clear violation of the bill of rights is likely just some lone nut throwing a tardfit and nobody else would ever supp-

Quote :
Eleven House Republicans have signed on to sponsor the resolution, including Majority Leader Edgar Starnes, R-Caldwell, and Budget Chairman Justin Burr, R-Stanly.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 2:48 pm

I'm somehow not surprised. e_____e

Probably because we just recently had a bill passed, HB 1690, which requires a full minute of silence at the beginning of school for prayer or reflection. I guaran-damn-tee you that many teachers are going to use this as an opportunity to use this to lead prayers, which kind of screws over any kid who isn't Christian.

When an atheist mother wrote to the state reps to ask that they not do this, and that non-Christian kids already have serious issues attending Arkansas schools, only one wrote back.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Those two verses?

Quote :
Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened… Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools
Quote :
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

So yeah. He basically said, "UR DUMB AND UR DAUGHTER IS DUMB," and also...

In other words, the entirety of the Bible Belt is PANTS ON HEAD. I can't even completely blame the voters alone. Most of these assholes are very, very good at keeping their feelings hidden until elected. Then there are others who do a 180 the moment they are in office FUCK YOU JOYCE ELLIOT and are suddenly!Republicans, despite still calling themselves a Dem or Independent.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 4:07 pm

god wouldnt it be wonderful if this thing passed and the state legislature immediately declared atheism the state religion
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 5:09 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
god wouldnt it be wonderful if this thing passed and the state legislature immediately declared atheism the state religion

This would be excellent.

Because it would confirm what sane people knew all along, atheism is a religion and therefore can't be enforced by the Feds or the states if we go by the general rule that, unless otherwise specified therein, the Constitution applies to the states as well, except in the peculiar case of the 2nd Amendment, which the states routinely penetrate with a broomstick.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 5:20 pm

Say, Mikey, now that you mention it -just out of curiosity- what are your own religious views?
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 6:33 pm

grmblfjx wrote:

Say, Mikey, now that you mention it -just out of curiosity- what are your own religious views?

Technically Catholic.

"Technically" means I haven't been to Church since Christmas, and that was only because by dad, who is more religious than me, asked nicely. And I was unfortunately overcome with Christmas charity and decided to waste over an hour to shut him up do him a favor.

Frankly, I don't greatly concern myself with the details. People get so uptight over exactly what some drunk carpenter said or what a guy who spent two weeks in the desert, who supposedly saw an angle or some shit but was probably just delirious from dehydration, had said.

Atheists are no better, so fervently declaring that there is no "God" even though they have no fucking idea. Then running around being all "offended" when anyone so much as farts in a quasi-religious manner. They're just a bunch of contrarian children who are so bored with their lives they have to antagonize everyone else to feel different and special.

I'll be very disappointed if there aren't a lot of jokes aimed at me over that last line.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:

Technically Catholic.

"Technically" means I haven't been to Church since Christmas, and that was only because by dad, who is more religious than me, asked nicely. And I was unfortunately overcome with Christmas charity and decided to waste over an hour to shut him up do him a favor.

Frankly, I don't greatly concern myself with the details. People get so uptight over exactly what some drunk carpenter said or what a guy who spent two weeks in the desert, who supposedly saw an angle or some shit but was probably just delirious from dehydration, had said.

Atheists are no better, so fervently declaring that there is no "God" even though they have no fucking idea. Then running around being all "offended" when anyone so much as farts in a quasi-religious manner. They're just a bunch of contrarian children who are so bored with their lives they have to antagonize everyone else to feel different and special.

I'll be very disappointed if there aren't a lot of jokes aimed at me over that last line.
So, atheists are like fanbrats?

Actually, I tend to agree with your post here. Some people take these things too damned seriously. Nobody can prove anything, and fighting over it doesn't do a damned thing.

(Religious stuff aside, I'm quite certain that many people can identify angles in the desert. Roads, buildings, some rocks, some plants, some animals, etc. have measurable angles.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 7:16 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
...That's veeeeeeerrrrrrrrrry 'technically' Catholic, isn't it. Because, that's more or less my approach, and I consider myself Apathist Agnostic.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 7:43 pm

grmblfjx wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

...That's veeeeeeerrrrrrrrrry 'technically' Catholic, isn't it. Because, that's more or less my approach, and I consider myself Apathist Agnostic.

Having things in common with me is one of your best qualities. Cool
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 3:25 am

Soooo... what would happen if the Supreme Court strikes down this bill in the event it becomes law? Would NC take it on the chin or would they be all like "FUCK YOU GODLESS BASTARDS YOU CAN'T TELL US WHAT TO DO"? What would happen if they did the latter?

For some reason this reminds me of Fred Nile and his ridiculous and utterly transparent attempts to push Christianity in NSW by banning burqas, despite the very high likelihood that the High Court would overturn such a ban in fairly short order.
Back to top Go down
spork
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
spork

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 3:47 am

xerrofoot wrote:
For some reason this reminds me of Fred Nile and his ridiculous and utterly transparent attempts to push Christianity in NSW by banning burqas

Sorry for the derail, but the local xenophobe in our country (Geert Wilders) takes that a few steps further. He wants to ban not just burqas but headscarves too, ban the quran (yes, as in forbidding to have the book) and he wants to scratch the line in our constitution that says you can't discriminate on religion. And this creep actually gets a lot of votes. *shudders*
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 4:20 am

Ohai, a Dutchie.

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Having things in common with me is one of your best qualities. Cool
I didn't realize you have boobs.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 4:25 am

xerrofoot wrote:
Soooo... what would happen if the Supreme Court strikes down this bill in the event it becomes law? Would NC take it on the chin or would they be all like "FUCK YOU GODLESS BASTARDS YOU CAN'T TELL US WHAT TO DO"? What would happen if they did the latter?

Probably the same thing that'll happen with Dakota's (North, I think) Personhood bill.

The state will fight the whole thing through to the court, loose a hell of a lot of public money in the process, and then blame government in general because they've got no public money, using the suffering it'll cause to pull more people in to the extremes.
Back to top Go down
spork
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
spork

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 2:17 pm

grmblfjx wrote:
Ohai, a Dutchie.
Aye. I guess I could ask where you're from now, but that would be silly since Mikey mentions it in every other post.

Reading German is pretty easy for me since it's got a lot in common with Dutch. Writing is quite difficult though.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 2:28 pm

You know I just found out today that there are schools in Georgia with racially segregated prom and homecoming.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What the fucking fuck is wrong with the south I mean really.

Quote :
Atheists are no better, so fervently declaring that there is no "God" even though they have no fucking idea.
Oh God inorite? Agnostic atheists are fine, but, like, I know more atheists that are huge dicks about it than theists who are huge dicks about it. Personally, I mean. Obviously I hear about more Christians being assholes, because damn can those guys be real fucking assholes.
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Quote :
Quote :
Atheists are no better, so fervently declaring that there is no "God" even though they have no fucking idea.
Oh God inorite? Agnostic atheists are fine, but, like, I know more atheists that are huge dicks about it than theists who are huge dicks about it. Personally, I mean. Obviously I hear about more Christians being assholes, because damn can those guys be real fucking assholes.

The thing I hate the most about atheists is that they assume that anyone who believes in a higher power is stupid, and if you point out how some pretty smart people believed in a higher power they instantly go "S/He didn't really believe in it" or "well that thing that they invented once was used FOR EVIL!!!!!" Hell the person I thought of as my best friend banned me from talking to her ever again for pointing out that mocking all religions to the degree that she was doing it is sort of being a jerk.

At least religious dicks have an 'moral' reason for being assholes.
Back to top Go down
spork
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
spork

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 3:17 pm

All dicks think they have moral reasons to be dicks. That's the thing.
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 5:33 am

Ding dong, the bill is dead

Quote :
RALEIGH, N.C. -- North Carolina House Speaker Thom Tillis' office said Thursday that a resolution asserting North Carolina has the power to set an official state religion is dead, and won't go any further.

Good to hear it. Also good to know that NC isn't entirely overrun by fundies.

Quote :
Warren said in a statement that the bill was only intended to allow Rowan County officials to open their meetings with prayer, not to establish a state religion.

I'll believe that when winged monkeys fly out of my ass.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: North Carolina attempts to establish state religion   North Carolina attempts to establish state religion Empty

Back to top Go down

North Carolina attempts to establish state religion
Page 1 of 1