Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Brisbane new age 'cult' splitting up families, detractors claim

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ZOOLANDER
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
ZOOLANDER

Brisbane new age 'cult' splitting up families, detractors claim Empty
PostSubject: Brisbane new age 'cult' splitting up families, detractors claim   Brisbane new age 'cult' splitting up families, detractors claim EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 7:32 pm

I like to avoid the word 'cult' in cases like these since it's a fairly loaded word that brings up some VERY powerful imagery. I've also studied religious cult phenomena and while the group mentioned in this article seems incredibly kooky and kind of suspicious, it doesn't really come across as THAT cultish. When the subject of cults is brought up, most people think of the People's Temple (Jim Jones and his cyanide drinks), Branch Davidians (the Waco massacre), Aum Shinri Kyo, Scientology, Exclusive Brethren, Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, etc., etc. I'm also wary of media beat-ups that tend to happen to people who are part of belief systems or holistic programs considered to be on the fringe.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
AN alleged new-age cult, run by a former bankrupt who claims to be Leonardo da Vinci reincarnated, is expanding its multimillion-dollar enterprise with the help of Brisbane's medical mainstream.

Universal Medicine, whose practitioners offer controversial treatments to ward off cancer including "esoteric breast massage", is drawing a growing number of clients to its Brisbane clinic via referrals from eye and lung surgeons, rheumatologists and GPs.

UniMed Brisbane is based in a historic $1.75 million, 10-room former Fairfield homestead from the 1860s, now co-owned by Universal Medicine founder Serge Benhayon.

On the other hand, the group does show some cult attributes. Marty Stu leadership? Check. Palatial headquarters? Check. Attempts to claim legitimacy through garnering mainstream support? Check.

Quote :
The one-time tennis coach founded the group, which has 2000 mainly female followers, after emerging from bankruptcy over an unpaid lease on a Sydney tennis centre in 1998.

"Esoteric breast massage" to loads of impressionable women? Check.

Quote :
Universal Medicine, which teaches followers to avoid the "negative energy" in everything from cheese and alcohol to sleeping late, sells merchandise from books to pillow cases, holds concerts, Vietnam retreats and "relationship workshops" that gross up to $36,000 a session.

But the group has come under fire from family members of devotees, who say Mr Benhayon holds a Svengali-like sway over members' patterns of diet, sleeping, exercise, the music they listen to and sexual behaviour.

Materials, programs and exercises cost an arm and a leg? Check. Micromanagement by the group of the individual's lifestyle? Check.

Quote :
A Brisbane father blamed his marriage breakdown on radical changes in his wife's behaviour encouraged by Universal Medicine, and was concerned about its influence on his daughter, 7.

"There is absolutely no question it's a cult," he said.

"She used to come home from the workshops like she was on drugs."

Now THAT, WGWers, is a fucking red flag That's not a red flag, that's a red strobe light with a wailing siren. Drugless altered mental states aren't always a sign of mental control (eg. certain types of energy therapy, like Reiki, can produce a lasting euphoria. I speak from personal experience.), but if it's that persistent then there's definitely something going on that warrants investigation.

Quote :
Dr Hall said there were "no grounds for saying it's a cult" and that media scrutiny of Mr Benhayon "feels like a witchhunt". She knew of "a few" couples who split after joining the group as lifestyle changes were "very confronting" for some partners.

"But were there cracks in the relationship beforehand?" Dr Hall said. "Maybe the woman decides she's feeling more confident to go ... the other rejected party feels hurt and blames (Universal Medicine).

"A lot of them hide behind Serge. They play 'Serge said'. I've known Serge for eight years and he's never said 'stay' or 'leave'."

Blaming followers who leave for the problems they have with the group? Big fat CHECK.

As I said, I hate describing groups as cults, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it could very well be a duck.
Back to top Go down

Brisbane new age 'cult' splitting up families, detractors claim
Page 1 of 1