Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt

Go down 
+15
Princess
Rabid Badger
Raven
Mr.Doobie
Lapin
Khajidu
WD40
Malganis
SlyChild
Miss Misery
Mikey Go WOOGA
Cyberwulf
Just Chipper
Jesus.
Knorg
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Knorg
Behind Blue Eyes
Behind Blue Eyes
Knorg

'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt Empty
PostSubject: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:59 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :

A man who wanted to fly to Canada to see his dying aunt says he was taken off the plane because he was too large.

In the province he was flying to it's currently moose hunting season and they were afraid he'd get shot.

Quote :
An Air Transat spokesman said: "We can't ask people their measurements before they book a flight - it's a breach of their human rights," a spokesman said.

"In this case, the arm-rest would not go down and separate Mr Russell from the lady beside him - and he was taking up more than a third of her seat."

...In fairness to the airline, I wouldn't want to squeeze into two thirds of a seat all the way to Canada.

So, cheap weight jokes aside - and it's genuinely sad he missed saying goodbye to his aunt in person - who do you all feel was in the wrong here?

Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 11:21 am

I honestly can't say either was in the wrong, however, one would think that if he had ever flown before in his obese life that he'd know that he doesn't fit in a normal seat and that he would need to purchase two seats. The airline is correct- it is a breach of human rights to ask how big you are before you get on the plane. But it is not a breach, at least IMO, to say that if you are over blah blah girth, you will not fit in this seat and will require a second one, or just do something else like that so this would never happen again.

Also, I wonder if they'll ever have any plane seats specifically for the morbidly obese. But that would suck, just having plane attendants go "Hello sir, how may I- OH. Your seats over there. fatty"
Back to top Go down
Just Chipper
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Just Chipper

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 11:58 am

I got an in-flight movie for ya: A Fridge Too Far!
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Jesus. wrote:
Also, I wonder if they'll ever have any plane seats specifically for the morbidly obese. But that would suck, just having plane attendants go "Hello sir, how may I- OH. Your seats over there. fatty"
Because having to buy two seats or else not fly AND put up with the hail of condescending bullshit I'm expecting any minute now about how it's a sign to "turn your life around" (because if you're fat you clearly fail at everything else) is puppies and rainbows.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 12:12 pm

Uh... How is it violating his human rights to ask him before hand whether or not he can fit his malformed ass into one seat? Fucking idiots think every, single, unpleasant thing is a violation of someone's human rights. If they actually had die steine to ask him how wide he was, they could have avoided this in the first place. The man would have had the option of buying a second (or third, disgusting useless pitiful failure of a human being) seat and seeing his aunt.

Who's probably the size a small planet herself. Everyone but me is a fatty.

Cyberwulf wrote:
Jesus. wrote:
Also, I wonder if they'll ever have
any plane seats specifically for the morbidly obese. But that would
suck, just having plane attendants go "Hello sir, how may I- OH. Your
seats over there. fatty"

Because having to buy two seats or else not fly AND put up with the
hail of condescending bullshit I'm expecting any minute now about how
it's a sign to "turn your life around" (because if you're fat you
clearly fail at everything else) is puppies and rainbows.

God you're bitter. Why don't you go lose some weight (yes, it is that easy), have a lite beer, and untie that knot in your vagina?
Back to top Go down
Miss Misery
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Miss Misery

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 12:56 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

Cyberwulf wrote:

Because having to buy two seats or else not fly AND put up with the
hail of condescending bullshit I'm expecting any minute now about how
it's a sign to "turn your life around" (because if you're fat you
clearly fail at everything else) is puppies and rainbows.

God you're bitter. Why don't you go lose some weight (yes, it is that easy), have a lite beer, and untie that knot in your vagina?

WHOA....

Sits back with a bucket of popcorn and waits for show to start
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 12:59 pm

Miss Misery wrote:
'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt 57786
Don't quote that assclown just because you're desperate for me to entertain you. And Mikey I've told you before, I'm not going to fuck you. Stop messaging me.
Back to top Go down
Miss Misery
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Miss Misery

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:02 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Miss Misery wrote:
Don't quote that assclown just because you're desperate for me to entertain you.

You entertain me without even trying. Don't ever change, sweetie.
Back to top Go down
SlyChild
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

Location : Ass glued to computer chair. Haven't moved in days.

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:07 pm

Miss Misery wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Miss Misery wrote:
Don't quote that assclown just because you're desperate for me to entertain you.

Oh, boy! Time to see which WGWer can out-patronize the other!

On topic, I honestly think that the airline was in the right here. I believe you have the right to maintain whatever body weight youchoose, but the woman sitting beside this dude payed for a seat, not 2/3 of one. I wouldn't want someone's ass oozing into my seat. Airplanes are uncomfortable enough as it is. The guy needed to buy two seats; that's all there is to it.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:22 pm

Jesus. wrote:
I honestly can't say either was in the wrong, however, one would think that if he had ever flown before in his obese life

Read the article. He said that he's flown before, always asks to have an extra seat if possible, and that this has never occurred before.

Quote :
that he'd know that he doesn't fit in a normal seat and that he would need to purchase two seats.

Quote :
"I always ask, (at check-in) if it's a big flight, if there are any
more seats that are available and she said it's a full flight."

The stewardess said she would look for another seat for him as he did not look comfortable, he said.

"She came back and said 'follow me' so I grabbed my
hand luggage and she took me off the flight and said, basically, that I
couldn't fly with them, that I was too big and that it was unfair for
someone paying for a seat next to me not to get a full seat.

"I felt like a criminal or a terrorist or something... the emotion got too much for me and I broke down."

The stewardess saying to me, were I him, "Follow me", would likely lead me to assume that there was another seat available and I was being taken to it, or at least a more comfortable spot to sit. I've gotta say, I hope he gets a full discount on his ticket -- not that that will make up for not seeing his dying aunt, though.

Now, maybe he should have bought another seat right when he was buying one -- perhaps his fault was in hoping that there would be an extra seat on that flight. Perhaps he couldn't afford two and could only afford the one, even if there was a discount on the extra seat (some airlines offer this, which I think is a good policy). Or maybe airlines do need alternate seating for very large passengers -- what exactly do they do for people in wheelchairs or hoveraround-type motorized things? I know that buses (or at least the ones I've ridden on) have broad upfront seating that's turned inward, facing the walkway, so that wheelchairs can be attached to them. I've never ridden on a plane, though, and don't know what they have in place.

Last edited by Malganis on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Malganis wrote:
I've never ridden on a plane, though, and don't know what they have in place.
I've only ever flown on Airbus planes. There's a reason it's called an Airbus.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:43 pm

I'm not convinced that asking his weight was a breech of his human rights. I'm calling "We'd better not ask personal questions just in case he gets upset and sues us for emotional trauma." I could be wrong, but if you're running an airline, surely is is necessary to ask certain details beforehand?

Jesus. wrote:
however, one would think that if he had ever flown before in his obese life that he'd know that he doesn't fit in a normal seat and that he would need to purchase two seats.

Quote :
"I always ask, (at check-in) if it's a big flight, if there are any more seats that are available and she said it's a full flight."

I'm reading this quote and thinking He was already aware that he needed two seats, and was hoping that there'd be an empty seat somewhere so he didn't need top fork out for the extra.

Quote :
"A lot of people are saying to me, well, you should have known before you went on, but I have never, ever had a problem with any airlines, until now.

In fact, this quote kinda backs up my theory.

[edit] somehow missed Mal's post... I'm standing by my "This has bugger all to do with HRA" stance though.
Back to top Go down
Khajidu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Khajidu

Location : on a tall ship far away from the bullshit, on the port side of course

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 2:50 pm

so... the airline knew that the guy's neighbour wouldn't have her full seat (they had nothing else to give to the guy), and they didn't tell the guy to GTFO until he was actually ON the plane, right?
I mean, when they saw a very large guy asking for a second seat and they couldn't get him one... why didn't they tell him right away that as not everybody would be able to fit on the plane, they would be, like, looking for other solutions (putting him or somebody else in the next plane, whatever)?
No, they told him that he could go inside, and waited until he was actually seated to trick him back outside.
'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt 724940
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 4:00 pm

SlyChild wrote:
Miss Misery wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Miss Misery wrote:

Is it that time again already?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Lapin wrote:
SlyChild wrote:
Miss Misery wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Miss Misery wrote:

Is it that time again already?

I thought it was always that time.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is really at fault here. Is it unfortunate that this happened? Yes. Was the man stupid for thinking that there would be enough room for him? No, I don't think so. He could always get a seat before, there was nothing to tell him that this time would be any different. On the other hand, what was the airline supposed to do? From my understanding, the flight was so full they couldn't fit him, unless someone would be forced to share a good part of their seat with him. What was the airline supposed to do, wiggle their nose and make new seats appear out of nowhere?

If anyone is in the wrong, it's the flight attendent, for getting him off the plane in such a superbly dicky way.
Back to top Go down
Raven

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Having been in a similar situation to the woman on several occasions I believe they need to put a few large seats on every plane.

It would make things more comfortable for all involved.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 7:25 pm

Some airlines DO have larger seats right at the front for those who are handicapped or bigger than average size, but they're generally filled on a first-come, first-served basis. However, if you can prove you're on disability, or are wheelchair bound, they don't charge you any more for the seats than if you were flying coach.

In this case, they should've explained the situation to him BEFORE they got him on the plain and let him get seated. Also, I fail to see why it was such a big deal that the person next to him couldn't get the armrest down all the way. Did they actually need it down, or was is simply a case of "I don't want to have to sit next to this fat person, so I'll complain and the airline will make him go away?"
Back to top Go down
Princess
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Princess

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 8:13 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
I fail to see why it was such a big deal that the person next to him couldn't get the armrest down all the way. Did they actually need it down, or was is simply a case of "I don't want to have to sit next to this fat person, so I'll complain and the airline will make him go away?"
Well, I doubt he could get his seatbelt on if he's that large, and if there's turbulence, it'd be like the boulder scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark. 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt 961878
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 8:40 pm

Princess wrote:
Well, I doubt he could get his seatbelt on if he's that large,

They're called seatbelt extenders, Nazi Generic Male Doll That is A Bargain Bin Version of Ken.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 8:44 pm

What Mal said. I've never flown on a plane in my life that didn't have seatbelt extensions available for those who were larger sized. I think it's actually a federal law.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 9:48 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Miss Misery wrote:

Don't quote that assclown just because you're desperate for me to entertain you. And Mikey I've told you before, I'm not going to fuck you. Stop messaging me.

You have more Mikey in you than you realize. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Yes I realize how that sounds shut up.

Khajidu wrote:
so... the airline knew that the guy's neighbour wouldn't have her full seat (they had nothing else to give to the guy), and they didn't tell the guy to GTFO until he was actually ON the plane, right?
I mean, when they saw a very large guy asking for a second seat and they couldn't get him one... why didn't they tell him right away that as not everybody would be able to fit on the plane, they would be, like, looking for other solutions (putting him or somebody else in the next plane, whatever)?
No, they told him that he could go inside, and waited until he was actually seated to trick him back outside.
'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt 724940

I don't think the airline was made aware of how truly huge this guy's ass was until he showed up. He shows up, asks if there is room for him to have two seats, there isn't, they rightfully kick him off. If he wanted a guarantee that there would be two seats for his massive girth, he should have bought two tickets right from the start.
Back to top Go down
SlyChild
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

Location : Ass glued to computer chair. Haven't moved in days.

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 9:55 pm

Quote :
You have more Mikey in you than you realize. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Yes I realize how that sounds shut up.
Surprise buttsex? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:12 pm

SlyChild wrote:
Quote :
Surprise buttsex? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
"Surprise!" yelled Mikey as he boned Cyberwulf up the ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:18 pm

I hadn't read the article yet when I wrote that. I saw that he knew he'd need two seats and never got a chance to rewrite what I said. But now I wonder what "never had a problem" means that he always got the second seat, or if this particular airline is just exceedingly narrow. Also, were there no other flights available to Canada or could he just not afford another airline?

Its really all around a sad state of affairs. :/
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
Did they actually need it down, or was is simply
a case of "I don't want to have to sit next to this fat person, so I'll
complain and the airline will make him go away?"

According to the article, he was occupying one third of the seat next to him. And as Knorg said (and call me "fattist" all you want), if I was the person sitting next to him and facing the prospect of spending what's probably an 8-hour-flight at least on 2/3 of a seat, I'd be complaining too. I mean, of course it's sad for him that his aunt died and he didn't make it to Toronto, but I can't entirely blame the airline here. About the way he was asked to leave: I think they were trying to see if he could maybe fit his seat, after all. He paid for it, so he could try to sit himself down. It didn't work out, obviously, but at least they didn't turn him away right away. Of course, they should have talked to him about this possibility even before letting him board, rather than letting him try and then just taking him off the plane and going "We can't take you," which was rather rude, but that's the biggest mistake I see from the airline here. Well, that, and it sounds as though they wanted to charge him for two seats on the next flight, not just the additional one, which is heartless and assholish indeed.

About him knowing he'd need two seats: It kind of sounds as though so far, he has always been lucky in that adjacent seats were available; it does not seem as though he has paid for them (considering he was asking about them upon check-in at the airport). In short: He gambled and lost. Otherwise, even when booking online, it should be possible to book two adjacent seats under the same name (we've done it before).

About airline seats: Even in the transatlantic flights I've been on (where you get planes the size of 747s or above), the damn things are pretty narrow. For example, I just checked Transat's seat selection charts and their two biggest aircraft, the Airbus 330-200 and 330-300 have 9 and 8 seats in each row in the widest part of the plane, respectively. The cabin width of an AB 330 is 17 ft 4 in according to its design specs - do the math (and consider that there are two aisles inbetween the seats, as well, through which a service cart has to fit - based on personal experience, I'd say they are at least as wide as one seat, if not even a little wider). For the 330-200, that means that each passenger has about 18 inches (!) of seating space - which is rather cramped even for people who are normal-weighted according to BMI.

Of course, this is not fair to people who are somewhat larger-sized, but you know how airlines operate: The more people you can shove into the tin can, the more money you get out of it. A larger sized seat would result in necessary reduction in seat numbers, which in turn would likely lead to higher flight prices (whether out of necessity or because the airline companies are all full of bastards, I wouldn't know).

Last edited by Saleha on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:27 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Edited in specs and math, fixed reading error)
Back to top Go down
http://diva-urd.livejournal.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt   'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt Empty

Back to top Go down

'Large' man removed from flight to see dying aunt
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next