Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....

Go down 
+24
myeerah
Cyberwulf
karmyn31
Rabid Badger
Sutremaine
Jay/Cris
Penguin
Lapin
Verandering
gaijinguy
Mikey Go WOOGA
Ceres
Malganis
EileenK98
Trioculus
Fairlight
Miss Misery
Dr. Professor Science
Bezron
SirDixonDongs
Dick Powers
Mafiosa
Jesus.
kelly
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:18 pm

Jesus. wrote:
EileenK98 wrote:
I firmly believe that your sexual orientation is the business of two people: you, and your partner or potential partner. Not the government, not the media, and not Joe Blow off the street. Who cares?

Sexual orientation is just as much a part of your identity as anything else. Whose business it is shouldn't be up for discussion. Who should know shouldn't be selected or restricted. While that doesn't mean you should tell the world, it just doesn't necessarily mean it should be something you need to be conscious of as to who knows and who doesn't. IMO.

I think what Leeny means is that it's kind of silly to announce it like you're announcing you're running for the Presidency.

"Part of your identity," whatever. There are a fair number of thing that are part of my identity that I don't go out of my way to tell people about (if only because I have the hats to show instead of tell Razz ). It's one thing if it's somehow relevant to whatever is going on, but Ricky Martin in general stopped being relevant a decade ago.

. . .Basically what you said. Colbert

There are three types of people here. Those who hear someone's gay and go RAEG, those like Dicky who was lyrical about how brave and special that person is, and the 90% of the total population who doesn't give a fuck.
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:39 pm

Fairlight wrote:
Jesus. wrote:
Fairlight wrote:
I don't understand why people still make such a big deal about all the "coming out" stuff. Being gay isn't supposed to be a big deal any more, that's kind of the point of progress.
Because discrimination and prejudice isn't even close to eliminated or over. There is way more progress to be made.
Maybe there is, but the longer people continue to make a big thing out of being gay and out of telling people that you are gay, the longer it'll take for that prejudice to be eliminated, right?
Surely if you want people to accept something as normal, you have to treat it as being normal.

If anyone ever complains, "you never said you were gay."
Wouldn't a good response be, "I never said I wasn't either, it's not my fault if you just assumed." [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
But see, the problem with that is that Ricky Martin was advised to not come out of the closet because of how being gay would affect his career. And really, his coming out could only be a big thing BECAUSE it establishes his sexuality. Though I'm sure anyone with half a functioning neuron knew that the man was gay, the fact that he could never come out and say it proves that being gay is still a big deal and it can alter the face of your life and career. As for treating gay as normal, for most, the primary unnoticeable assumption made when you (not you, you, general you) look at or meet a person is that they're hetero until any evidence is proven elsewise. And for some, especially a celebrity in the public eye that has been fawned over, loved, hated, and had their lives dug into, that can be stifling. And once they come out, once you see them again, theres always this tiny little fleeting thought of recognition "Oh, hes gay."

To sum up, seeing as I tend to ramble and not make a coherent point, is that it's hard to universally treat it as normal when too many people still don't see it that way, especially when you're in the public eye and your sexual identity is important to you though you can't show it. So in that aspect, it becomes a big deal because any indication to an alternate lifestyle can be devastating you your relationships, careers etc, and so it continues to be a very big deal. So yeah.

I don't know what it is, but for some reason I feel like I'm not really getting the point I'm trying to make across, so if anything sounds funny just holler.
Back to top Go down
Dick Powers
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Dick Powers

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Fairlight wrote:
Maybe there is, but the longer people continue to make a big thing out of being gay and out of telling people that you are gay, the longer it'll take for that prejudice to be eliminated, right?
Surely if you want people to accept something as normal, you have to treat it as being normal.

You assume too much from people and that is sad.
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Ceres wrote:
(That said, you'd think the Pope died and came back as a zombie.)

He sorta did.
Back to top Go down
SirDixonDongs
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
SirDixonDongs

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 8:15 pm

zombie jesus

he died for your sins

he came back for your brains
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 8:55 pm

Quote :
As for treating gay as normal, for most, the
primary unnoticeable assumption made when you (not you, you, general
you) look at or meet a person is that they're hetero until any evidence
is proven elsewise.

The other option is to assume the person is gay for absolutely no reason. And considering a greater percentage of people are straight, it makes no sense to assume some random person is gay.

I'm not really talking about making a conscious judgment of "Oh, he's straight/gay." I'm talking about how normally, when you meet someone you take it so for granted they're straight it never crosses your mind.

It's like assuming someone who was born and raised in Pittsburgh is a Steelers fan to some degree. The odds heavily favor it.
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 9:10 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Quote :
As for treating gay as normal, for most, the
primary unnoticeable assumption made when you (not you, you, general
you) look at or meet a person is that they're hetero until any evidence
is proven elsewise.

The other option is to assume the person is gay for absolutely no reason. And considering a greater percentage of people are straight, it makes no sense to assume some random person is gay.

I'm not really talking about making a conscious judgment of "Oh, he's straight/gay." I'm talking about how normally, when you meet someone you take it so for granted they're straight it never crosses your mind.

It's like assuming someone who was born and raised in Pittsburgh is a Steelers fan to some degree. The odds heavily favor it.
What Mikey said. Man, my brain is not working right lately.
Back to top Go down
Dick Powers
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Dick Powers

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 9:35 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

Mikey, stop being not unfunny.
Back to top Go down
Ceres
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ceres

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 9:53 pm

Quote :
I think what Leeny means is that it's kind of silly to announce it like you're announcing you're running for the Presidency.

But he didn't announce it like he was running for president. He made a freakin' twitter post. It wasn't a People magazine interview, nor a Barbara Walters special. He made a post, on his own website, on his own terms. Having read both Spanish and English letters, he gets really emotional in the Spanish version; this is clearly a big deal to him and it was pretty much meant for fans.

And if he wrote an official letter, it's because the dude has been harassed about it for over 10 years.

Because he didn't force CNN to publish it, neither did he forward it to any news media. It was everyone else who made a big deal out of it. For those saying he's "irrelevant", he's still a god among men in the Latino world. And even though he's "irrelevant" in the US, here we are, on the thread's 2nd page.

(There are actually two issues intersecting here, because the guy is still a mega star in the world, but a one-hit wonder in the US. Since he was considered "irrelevant", english-speaking media thought it had a license to nag and "shame" him out of the closet.)

In the end, of course, the media circus surrounding Ricky is really a microcosm of the USA's obsession with other people's sexuality. It homosexuality is normal, then we really need to stop making a media circus out of it. I know we're not there today, but I hope that someday saying "I'm gay" is the equivalent of "I ate a ham sandwich".

As it is now, the sex lives of celebrities gay or straight has become a weird-ass fetish. Anyway, now that he's out and he's satisfied everyone's morbid curiosity, maybe people can stop taking cheap shots at him, which in the end, have always been tinged with homophobia.
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 10:19 pm

SirDixonDongs wrote:
Dick Powers wrote:
SirDixonDongs wrote:
i make it a point to tell everyone im gay

all the time

every day

like, i have this guy following me around with a sandwich board on

it says

"THE GUY IN FRONT OF ME IS AN ENORMOUS FAG"

Do you also rub your junk in the faces of straight men to make sure they understand just how gay your are?

well duh thats a given

Dongs..........................

marry me
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 10:27 pm

My BFF's mom loves this man. She is heartbroken and has been muttering incoherently in Spanish the whole day. (She's from Puerto Rico, I don't know whether that's significant on her fangirlishness for him)

I don't personally care. I thought everyone knew. *Shrugs*
Back to top Go down
SirDixonDongs
SirDixonDongs

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 11:08 pm

Verandering wrote:
SirDixonDongs wrote:
Dick Powers wrote:
SirDixonDongs wrote:
i make it a point to tell everyone im gay

all the time

every day

like, i have this guy following me around with a sandwich board on

it says

"THE GUY IN FRONT OF ME IS AN ENORMOUS FAG"

Do you also rub your junk in the faces of straight men to make sure they understand just how gay your are?

well duh thats a given

Dongs..........................

marry me

sure i will semi-hetero semi-gay marry you ver

but i want a jewish drag wedding
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 11:12 pm

Fuck yeah, I'm in!
Back to top Go down
SirDixonDongs
SirDixonDongs

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 11:12 pm

dude you know you are always invited to my sexual escapades
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 3:47 am

Ceres wrote:
Even though he's no longer important in the US, he's still the most important star in Latin America. That Americans don't know it speaks of more of American insular thinking and lack of worldview than his musical talent.

Oh, please. Get back to me with your wealth of knowledge of Russian celebrities (No, you've got to go back farther than Russia's Got Talent) and then go on about American insular thinking.

Celebrity outside your country = probably not relevant to you. This is like saying "b-b-b-but they love me in France!"

Ceres wrote:
And even though he's "irrelevant" in the US, here we are, on the thread's 2nd page.

And much of the discussion has been about the relevance of one's sex life in the rest of their lives, not specifically about Mr. Martin. Razz
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 3:51 am

Sue Sylvester has something to say about all this:

Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Ceres
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ceres

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 5:57 am

Yes, because being known in over 30 spanish speaking countries,
Brazil. Portugal and yes, France, is just like being known just in Russia. BTW, the chicks from TaToo? Are huge in Brazil.
Oh, the Puerto Rican neighbor is muttering because RM is considered a national pride.
Back to top Go down
Bezron

Bezron

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 9:11 am

David Hasselhoff is huge in Germany, please explain how he is relevant to you Smile
Back to top Go down
Dick Powers
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Dick Powers

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 9:18 am

The Germans love David Hasselhoff.
Back to top Go down
Bezron

Bezron

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 9:19 am

Yes, he is. but to the rest of the world, he is irrelevant (except that he keeps trying to force himself back into the spotlight)
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 9:47 am

Bezron wrote:
Yes, he is. but to the rest of the world, he is irrelevant (except that he keeps trying to force himself back into the spotlight)

Or making cuisine innovations in the form of floor cheeseburgers.
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 10:42 am

*starts to make a comment about how celebrities are generally irrelevant no matter where they are and then stops because her toast is done*
Back to top Go down
SirDixonDongs
SirDixonDongs

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 11:06 am

says the person with not one but two pix of david tennant in her post
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 11:36 am

Touche.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 11:39 am

People with comic avatars are the best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....   Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as.... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ricky Martin has come out of the closet, not GAFF so much as....
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next