Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trance and House Music Education

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ceres
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ceres

Trance and House Music Education Empty
PostSubject: Trance and House Music Education   Trance and House Music Education EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 8:39 am

So, I've been roped into attending the Sensation 2010 in Armsterdam, yet my trance and house education is severely lacking. I have Daft Punk in my iPod, but everyone does. Anyway, which are the top honchos of this type of music and who deserves getting $9.99 bucks thrown at him through iTunes?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Trance and House Music Education   Trance and House Music Education EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 9:07 am

Ceres wrote:
So, I've been roped into attending the Sensation 2010 in Armsterdam, yet my trance and house education is severely lacking. I have Daft Punk in my iPod, but everyone does. Anyway, which are the top honchos of this type of music and who deserves getting $9.99 bucks thrown at him through iTunes?

Trance and House Music? I'm not really into raving, so I don't know what seperates trance or house music from other forms of dance music. I can give you a list of good electronica/dance musicians...

- Hot Chip - Not a huge fan, but they're probably the most popular group on this list. You might like them.
- Girl Talk - Haven't gotten a chance to listen to this guy yet, but I've heard good things about him. He's a mash-up artist, his music is nothing but samplings of multiple songs thrown together. I've heard it's pretty groovy.
- MGMT - These guys got slight indie "IT" kid status about midway through last year. I dig 'em. Suggested Songs: "Time to Pretend", "Kids", "Electric Feel"
- Does It Offend You, Yeah? - Another band I dig, and they get compared to Daft Punk and the Prodigy a bit. And they have a song called "Attack of the 60 Foot Tall Lesbian Octopus". Suggested Songs: "We Are Rockstars", "Attack of the 60 Foot Tall Lesbian Octopus", and "Dawn of the Dead"
- The Prodigy - Probably one of the biggest alternative dance bands after Daft Punk, you might know them for the controversy surrounding their song "Smack My Bitch Up".
- Peaches - An electroclash musician (think punk meets electronica meets hip-hop) with some good underground clout. Her music is almost entirely dirty odes to sex (sample lyric: "sucking on my titties like you wanted me/calling me/all the time/like Blondie"). Lady Gaga has been called Peaches-Lite. Suggested Songs: "Fuck the Pain Away"

Other bands I've never heard of but I got through a quick Google search for "dance music" and "trance/house music"...

- Justice
- Digitalism
- The Aston Shuffle
Back to top Go down
Ceres
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ceres

PostSubject: Re: Trance and House Music Education   Trance and House Music Education EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 10:27 am

Never heard of most of them, and I always thought that The Prodigy was hardcore rock for some reason. Justice, however, keeps showing up whenever I fire up Pandora. I think I'm gonna add all those bands to Pandora and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Trance and House Music Education   Trance and House Music Education EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 12:22 pm

Hmm... is Pendulum considered Trance/House? My knowledge of genres is blurry, to say the least.
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Trance and House Music Education   Trance and House Music Education EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 2:20 pm

InkWeaver wrote:
Hmm... is Pendulum considered Trance/House? My knowledge of genres is blurry, to say the least.

Drum´n Bass, love. Falls under the Dance genre, not quite Trance or House. The distinction between House and Trance is a blurry one at best, though. Best I can offer is that House is generally catchy (usually of the obnoxious-variety) and involves words , while Trance is pretentious, long-winded and makes a big deal of 'build-ups' and 'foreplays' and 'climaxes' and other sex-related metaphors that give them an excuse to play d00p-d00p-d00p on a loop for seven minutes.
Ceres, d'you have set-list available?

(Prodigy is awesome, though probably not appearing on a Sensation-fest unless it's a remix.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Trance and House Music Education   Trance and House Music Education EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 3:01 pm

Jay/Cris wrote:
InkWeaver wrote:

Drum´n Bass, love.

Oh right right right, you told me that once. And showed me Prodigy too.
-ambles off to listen to them s'more-
Back to top Go down
Ceres
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ceres

PostSubject: Re: Trance and House Music Education   Trance and House Music Education EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 3:46 pm

Well, website says that the main line up will be these guys, with more to follow:

Fedde Le Grand
Sebastian Ingrosso
Sander van Doorn
Erick E
James & Ryan Marciano
Mr.
White !!!
Joris Voorn & 2000 And One
Chuckie

Judging from the names alone, I think they're very Tiesto-ish.
Back to top Go down
DarthDarthington
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
DarthDarthington

PostSubject: Re: Trance and House Music Education   Trance and House Music Education EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 4:56 pm

Quote :
I always thought that The Prodigy was hardcore rock for some reason.

What is "hardcore rock"? You mean like mathcore or metalcore or something? Because if so, shame on you.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Trance and House Music Education   Trance and House Music Education EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 6:43 pm

DarthDarthington wrote:
Quote :
I always thought that The Prodigy was hardcore rock for some reason.

What is "hardcore rock"? You mean like mathcore or metalcore or something? Because if so, shame on you.

I thought she meant hardcore punk, like Black Flag or Minor Threat.

On the Prodigy's Wikipedia page they are called "hardcore dance music".
Back to top Go down
Ceres
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ceres

PostSubject: Re: Trance and House Music Education   Trance and House Music Education EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Ah dunno. More like, when I thought of The Prodigy, my mind conjured up Korn-like music. Yeah, my knowledge of music genres is really lacking...
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Trance and House Music Education   Trance and House Music Education EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 1:35 pm

Ceres wrote:
Well, website says that the main line up will be these guys, with more to follow:

Fedde Le Grand
Sebastian Ingrosso
Sander van Doorn
Erick E
James & Ryan Marciano
Mr.
White !!!
Joris Voorn & 2000 And One
Chuckie

Judging from the names alone, I think they're very Tiesto-ish.

Well Tiësto-ish is what you signed up for. Um, the names I recognize: Fedde Le Grand is wholly annoying, but Sander van Doorn and Erick E. are quite fun, if a bit repetitive - though, y'know, trance concert, so eh. I am fond of Chuckie: he likes trashing pop songs into trance anthems, and that's always a good combo.
Mind you, I wouldn't throw money at any one of them, but the three I mentioned above worth a download somehow obtaining or two.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trance and House Music Education   Trance and House Music Education Empty

Back to top Go down

Trance and House Music Education
Page 1 of 1