Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Authors of Mediocrity: Predictability strikes back

Go down 
+14
Exodia's Right Leg
Saleha
kleine_kat
gaijinguy
Dick Powers
Penguin
Spotts1701
Tungsten Monk
myeerah
Delcat
rae
Soylent Green
Maximilia
Malganis
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

Authors of Mediocrity: Predictability strikes back - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Authors of Mediocrity: Predictability strikes back   Authors of Mediocrity: Predictability strikes back - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 4:43 am

Malganis wrote:
Honor is such a blatant fucking canon Mary Sue, it's painful.

I've heard that like many canon Sues, Honor didn't start that way. It just happened as the series progressed. I read only one book out of the series, though. Something about Mormons Graysons having a civil war or something.
Back to top Go down
Ghost in the Machine
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ghost in the Machine

PostSubject: Re: Authors of Mediocrity: Predictability strikes back   Authors of Mediocrity: Predictability strikes back - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 5:35 am

Malganis wrote:
Chaltab wrote:
Maybe I'm misremembering the description, but I got the impression that the treecat was some kind of reptilian thing.

No, it's a six-limbed sentient psychic cat that loves Honor so much it does everything for her but give her orgasms. Rolling Eyes
He did! Nimitz bonded with the White Haven's treecat so their owners could have sex. Honor eventually became Earl White Haven's second wife. (While still married to his first wife, which is a pretty neat trick if you can pull it off.)

Malganis wrote:
Honor is such a blatant fucking canon Mary Sue, it's painful.
No argument there. Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Authors of Mediocrity: Predictability strikes back   Authors of Mediocrity: Predictability strikes back - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 8:56 am

Ghost in the Machine wrote:
Chaltab wrote:
I didn't get a feel for Honor's character at all, but I certainly got a vivid description of her exotic pet lizard thing that I could have cared less about.
I may not be the biggest Weber fan in the universe, but calling Nimitz a lizard? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Although I do think the treecat has more personality than his owner.

I read one of the books (dear god how could you NOT call Honor a Sue?) and I think Nimitz should have been the star of the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Authors of Mediocrity: Predictability strikes back   Authors of Mediocrity: Predictability strikes back - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 10:48 am

kleine_kat wrote:
Another author, which I have just discovered and am going to discard as soon as I've finished the last book, is Cornelia Funke. I antidoted the movie Inkheart, because its love for books made me fuzzily warm and happy. The first book is quite ok, bit boring, just like parts in the movie, but nice. The second book and the third even more, however, make me believe that mrs Funke is actually not all that grand as she's made out to be.

Seldom have I seen characters walk from one place and then back again so.bloody.often. Rarely have I been so unexcited about a main character lying feverish with a shot wound in a damp cave with White Ladies surrounding him and whispering for his soul. Hell, I love hurt and angst and fever-ridden characters...but he gets shot in chapter 4 and by page 488 he's still recovering, and I just couldn't give a damn about whether he lived or died. People are so toe-crampingly stupid and annoying in especially the third book I've been resorting to playing video games deep into the night just so I won't have time to read before I go to sleep.

I read Inkheart and was mildly pleased by its concept, by the character Dustfinger, and by the Shel Silverstein reference. So I picked up Inkspell, excited because I got it for all of 3 bucks at a used book exchange when it was almost new.

Good lord. When Dustfinger went out of the picture, I realized I was completely uninterested in what happened next. Like, I didn't care about Meggie (or whatever her name is, don't remember that well), didn't care about the plodding, dull-as-dirt plot, did not care about the endless scenes of doing NOTHING. You'd think a book about BEING READ INTO BOOKS would be a little more quick-paced, but no, apparently they're being read into the shit I have to read in American Lit right now.

That being said, I don't remember really anything about The Thief Lord, but I do remember enjoying it quite a bit, so I think maybe it's just her "Ink[insertname]" series that suffers from "FUCKING DO SOMETHING ALREADY!"
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Authors of Mediocrity: Predictability strikes back   Authors of Mediocrity: Predictability strikes back - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 10:55 am

bleachedblackcat wrote:
I read one of the books (dear god how could you NOT call Honor a Sue?) and I think Nimitz should have been the star of the whole thing.

I dunno, Nimitz just comes off to me as completely one-dimensional, even more so than Honor. He's basically nothing but a walking, breathing plot device/hugbox that comforts Honor when she's sad and rips her enemies apart when they need to have their asses handed to them (and she physically can't do it). There's nothing else to it, really.

And there's no dimension or depth to their relationship as well. Hell, a married couple who love each other sometimes argue and disagree and fight, but I don't think I've ever seen an instance in the books when Nimitz disagrees with or fails Honor in some way.

...He's like the stereotypical "perfect boyfriend", except they never have sex with each other. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Authors of Mediocrity: Predictability strikes back   Authors of Mediocrity: Predictability strikes back - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Authors of Mediocrity: Predictability strikes back
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2