Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot

Go down 
+8
Sloth
frostflowers
Mikey Go WOOGA
Malganis
Lady Anne
unskilled78
Laereom
Spotts1701
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot Empty
PostSubject: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 8:51 am

Tells Wife To Call Ambulance For 30-Foot Ride To Front Door.

Quote :
An 83-year-old woman with a cane and a heart condition was told to bring her husband into a Nova Scotia hospital on her own while he had a heart attack in the parking lot of the building, the couple's son said Friday.

Patrick Smale said his 81-year-old father, Herbert Smale, began having chest pains last Saturday and drove to the patient drop-off zone at Soldiers Memorial Hospital in Middleton.

Smale said his mother was with his father and went into the hospital to get help because her husband was in too much pain to walk on his own. Inside the building, a hospital staff member told the elderly woman to bring her husband in on her own, said Patrick Smale.

I know there are rules and liability issues, but couldn't they have sent someone to at least make a judgment call?

Quote :
Tim Guest, vice-president of acute care for Annapolis Valley Health, said officials were investigating the incident and reminding their staff members of the hospital's procedures.

"If someone drives up to the facility needing emergent care and isn't able to enter the building on their own, our process is for a nurse to go out and assess them and if their condition is life-threatening, it's to do whatever they can to help them to get into the building for care," he said.

Ah, so the rules allow it and the chuckleheads on duty just didn't follow them. Stay classy...
Back to top Go down
Laereom

Laereom

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 9:13 am

Spotts1701 wrote:

Quote :
An 83-year-old woman with a cane and a heart condition was told to bring her husband into a Nova Scotia hospital on her own while he had a heart attack in the parking lot of the building, the couple's son said Friday.
How many comments about the evils of socialized health care do you think this spawned?
Back to top Go down
unskilled78
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 11:13 am

Laereom wrote:
Spotts1701 wrote:

Quote :
How many comments about the evils of socialized health care do you think this spawned?

Over 9000!

and they wouldn't be at least slightly appropriate?
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 11:18 am

unskilled78 wrote:
Laereom wrote:
Spotts1701 wrote:

Quote :

Over 9000!

and they wouldn't be at least slightly appropriate?

No, because this was apparently a case of the hospital staff failing to follow their own policies and procedures.

Human error, not systemic error.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 11:27 am

I remember a similar case in the U.S. some years back, where a teenage boy was left to bleed to death just outside the emergency room door because he couldn't get in by himself and hospital procedures forbade the staff to help him in (but they were allowed to go out there and smoke beside his bleeding body).
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
unskilled78
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 11:34 am

Spotts1701 wrote:
Spoiler:

No, because this was apparently a case of the hospital staff failing to follow their own policies and procedures.

Human error, not systemic error.

OIC.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 12:10 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
I remember a similar case in the U.S. some years back, where a teenage boy was left to bleed to death just outside the emergency room door because he couldn't get in by himself and hospital procedures forbade the staff to help him in (but they were allowed to go out there and smoke beside his bleeding body).

W. T. F. I hope the parent(s) of that boy sued those assholes for all they were worth...
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 1:39 pm

Lady Anne wrote:

Uh, if one could simply walk into Mordor the emergency room, one probably doesn't need to be in the emergency room yet. Let the people who aren't in good enough condition to stand in first, plox.
Back to top Go down
frostflowers
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
frostflowers

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 2:07 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

Uh, if one could simply walk into Mordor the emergency room, one probably doesn't need to be in the emergency room yet. Let the people who aren't in good enough condition to stand in first, plox.
... Because it's not like one could have accidentally cut ones own arm open to the point where you're almost bleeding to death and needs some stoppage on that blood flow, stat. Or, you know, injured oneself in such a way that it is life-threatening, but walking is still possible.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

In regards to the news - damnit, that's just stupid. It's not like they didn't know he was out there, and I seriously doubt an 83-year-old looks sturdy enough to carry someone indoors.
Back to top Go down
Sloth
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sloth

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 4:12 am

Uhh... WTF?

I worked at a hospital. Somebody pulled up in a car with a person in the back seat having a horrible seizure, and the hospital had him carried in. I know because I was one of the ones carrying him. Similarly, a couple people found a girl lying passed out on the corner and just dropped her off - we took her, too. What kind of hospital was this, exactly?
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 6:53 am

I don't suppose they considered maybe even if they couldn't help as nurses they could give a hand as concerned citizens?

I had a seizure in the street the other day and some nice people called a paramedic who took me home. Admittedly I was in no condition to be aware that it was a paramedic - hell I might have been getting into a car with a kidnapper for all I was aware.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 8:10 am

Hey bro lemme tell you about the time I could've been almost almost almost raped.
Back to top Go down
unskilled78
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 1:58 pm

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:
I don't suppose they considered maybe even if they couldn't help as nurses they could give a hand as concerned citizens?

I had a seizure in the street the other day and some nice people called a paramedic who took me home. Admittedly I was in no condition to be aware that it was a paramedic - hell I might have been getting into a car with a kidnapper for all I was aware.

Nope, we don't get that lucky. Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot 961878
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 2:40 pm

unskilled78 wrote:
Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:

Nope, we don't get that lucky. Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot 961878

Unskilled, don't be a dick.

Harley, glad to know you made it home okay.

Sloth wrote:
What kind of hospital was this, exactly?

One with criminally incompetent personnel.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Penguin wrote:
Hey bro lemme tell you about the time I could've been almost almost almost raped.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Heywood

Heywood

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 9:15 am

That's the thing, up here liability rules are a tiny fraction of what they are in the US. You have to pay up-front to sue someone (they can't take a fraction of your winnings), so most people don't have the money or the time to do it. This is just a hospital staffed by ducks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot   Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot Empty

Back to top Go down

Hospital Refuses To Assist Man Having Heart Attack In Their Parking Lot
Page 1 of 1