Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What Drives Edward Cullen

Go down 
+17
grmblfjx
Somath Cegem
Chocho
Grimley Fieendish
frostflowers
Penguin
Mikey Go WOOGA
T.S.Orr
Lapin
Trivia
theweirdkind
unskilled78
KGarrett
ZoZo
Mae Bedlam
Saleha
Narwhal
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

What Drives Edward Cullen Empty
PostSubject: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 9:11 pm

There is no God.
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 9:20 pm

Narwhal wrote:
There is no God.

After seeing that commercial for the first time earlier this evening, I would have to agree.

Volvo: HAVING A CREEPY STALKER SUEBAIT SPARKLEPIRE DRIVE YOUR CAR DOES *NOT* MAKE YOU COOL WITH THE KIDS!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

... I feel slightly better now. Probably until I see that... thing again.
Back to top Go down
http://diva-urd.livejournal.com/
Mae Bedlam
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Mae Bedlam

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 9:30 pm

FFFFFFF
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 3:43 am

I... I...

Really?

Honestly, I'm flabbergasted. What do sparkly vampires have to do with cars?

Furthermore, why was he driving the car around in the middle of the day and not sparkling?
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 4:05 am

Budget cuts.
Back to top Go down
unskilled78
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 8:40 am

That's a really stupid idea for a commercial, because most people who are old enough to drive or afford a new car are also intelligent/mature enough to know that the romance of Twilight is the caustic, destructive romance of Ted Bundy.
Also, some of the captions make no sense

that commercial wrote:
There is a certain kind of understated beauty
The beauty of EC is beat into the readers head every other page (partially because S.Meyer is writing for an audience that needs it beat in constantly otherwise they forget and go wonder off to play in traffic.

that commercial wrote:
There's the power to stand up for what you believe in
Seducing something about 1/30th your age, which could basically be compared to a legless plate of baby-back-ribs is a powerful statement, yo.
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 9:20 am

unskilled78 wrote:
That's a really stupid idea for a commercial, because most people who are old enough to drive or afford a new car are also intelligent/mature enough to know that the romance of Twilight is the caustic, destructive romance of Ted Bundy.
I would like to disagree with this statement. Though the larger part of the fandom are teenage girls, most of them can still drive at the age of sixteen. Also, I have met plenty of people older than me that are obsessed with Twilight.
Back to top Go down
Trivia

Trivia

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 3:37 pm

It's that elusive TwiMoms demographic.

This commercial made me laugh so hard. I totally love Edward now since I went as him for Halloween. He is just perfect narm.

I was so sparkly and my hair was so ridiculous. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Good times.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 3:40 pm

Oh Volvo, no. Just no. Bad Volvo, bad.
Back to top Go down
T.S.Orr
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
T.S.Orr

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 11:41 pm

When I first saw this I honestly thought this was fake. Now, I wish it was. That's a minute and fifty seconds I'll never get back.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 9:43 pm

Narwhal wrote:
Narwhal's post

:hell:

WHY DOES GOD LET THESE THINGS HAPPEN!?
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 4:02 am

Quote :

Sexual repression. Which is exactly what Volvo sells, coincidentally.
Back to top Go down
frostflowers
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
frostflowers

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 7:40 am

... Volvo, I hereby disown you. If the people who commissioned this commercial ever step foot in Sweden again, I am getting my crossbow and taking pot shots at them. Seriously.

This was actually painfully embarrassing to watch.
Back to top Go down
Grimley Fieendish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Grimley Fieendish

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 4:44 pm

frostflowers wrote:
... Volvo, I hereby disown you. If the people who commissioned this commercial ever step foot in Sweden again, I am getting my crossbow and taking pot shots at them. Seriously.

No, No, No, Frostflowers, you drop a Ford Focus (which is the platform the C30's based on) on them from a great height, in the style of Kenny Everett's parodies of the British Volkswagen Golf ad's of the early 1980's...
Back to top Go down
frostflowers
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
frostflowers

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 6:13 am

Grimley Fieendish wrote:
frostflowers wrote:

No, No, No, Frostflowers, you drop a Ford Focus (which is the platform the C30's based on) on them from a great height, in the style of Kenny Everett's parodies of the British Volkswagen Golf ad's of the early 1980's...
Ah, then I obviously need to steal Top Gear's Volvo catapult to accomplish this evil plan.
Back to top Go down
Chocho
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Chocho

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 9:37 am

...and once again I marvel that a Volvo is supposedly a "cool" car.

I am sure they are perfectly fine cars, and if I would have to buy a car on a budget I'd consider buying one, but if you have tons of money to spend? Yeah, no.

Can someone please explain SM's Volvo obssession to me? Or is that an American thing?
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 9:28 pm

I'm an American and I tend to forget Volvo exists. People with money buy Bentleys, BMW S-Class, vintage muscle cars, etc. Not Volvos.

Okay, my friend is a Twihard. I mean total Twihard, though I am bringing her around to the realization that the relationship is unhealthy. And she says the commercial is fucking stupid.

You hear that Volvo? A Twihard thinks your Twilight commercial was stupid. Do you know what level of stupid that puts you at? Remember those idiots who tried to rob a store with Sharpie "masks"? You're below them.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 4:14 am

The sad thing is Volvo makes really good cars.
Back to top Go down
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 6:52 am

Chocho wrote:

Can someone please explain SM's Volvo obssession to me? Or is that an American thing?

She's an embarrassingly sheltered Mormon housewife whose exposure to the real world has been minimal at best. In her bizarre view, Volvos are sexy cars, beige is a sexy color, and pathetic dreams about sparkly vampires that represent her deep-seated sexual repression are not only worth committing to paper but are, in her mind, comparable in quality to novels by the Brontë sisters.

I think it's safe to say her perspective is just a little skewed.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 6:54 am

Yep. In the real world, Volvos are just good, reliable, comfortable, safe, and utterly boring cars. Soooo they might be exciting to really boring people, or if you really like not having to worry about your car rusting out on you before your odometer hits the 1,000,000 mile mark.

The funny thing about that is that all of that is pretty much the complete opposite of fun/sexy/dangerous, which is the ill-advised territory her books try to explore. You just can't take a vampire (OOH DANGEROUS) love interest (how kinky!) and then put him in a fucking Volvo. It's like having James Bond drive a 1969 Super Bug. Or Genghis Khan in a Prius.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 7:10 am

I don't know. If I had a choice between Cullen and a Volvo, I know which one I'd take home to meet the folks.
Back to top Go down
Chocho
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Chocho

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 8:45 am

So, it's SM being nuts. I can live with that.

Quote :
The funny thing about that is that all of that is pretty much the
complete opposite of fun/sexy/dangerous, which is the ill-advised
territory her books try to explore. You just can't take a vampire (OOH
DANGEROUS) love interest (how kinky!) and then put him in a fucking
Volvo. It's like having James Bond drive a 1969 Super Bug. Or Genghis
Khan in a Prius.

I actually think it makes perfect sense. She takes the vampire, removes all the "qualities" that make him so dangerous and interesting, et voilĂ , you have Edward Cullen. It's like removing the claws and teeth of a tiger and then rejoicing that you tamed the beast. She may call it a vampire but it's actually a sparkly Ken doll, with a safe car and a safe family and a safe hobby. It's pretty much the antithesis of what a vampire is supposed to be.
Back to top Go down
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 8:53 am

I mean, come on. These sparkly dorks plan on spending eternity attending high school over and over and doing "fun family activities" like playing vampire baseball and Milton Bradely games on wednesdays or something. I'd rather have died and gone to hell.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 9:23 am

Chocho wrote:
In what dorky corner of the planet would this be? I've never heard such a thing.

Penguin wrote:
The sad thing is Volvo makes really good cars.
Actually, a study has shown that despite the urban legend that Volvos are OMG SO SAFE, they are no safer or higher quality than any other car.
Back to top Go down
Chocho
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Chocho

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 11:56 am

grmblfjx wrote:
Chocho wrote:
In what dorky corner of the planet would this be? I've never heard such a thing.

I never did either, but judging how SM was going on and on how her car-lovin' brothers helped her choose cars and what not, I assumed it was a cultural thing I didn't understand. And apparently it is, if you count Twilight as a whole universe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Drives Edward Cullen   What Drives Edward Cullen Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next