Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mary Sues in Original Fiction

Go down 
+19
Chris91
Waffles
anangrychocobo
Roo
DarthDarthington
the asylum
Root Admin
Fairlight
Miraba
Dr. Professor Science
unskilled78
The Unoriginal
KGarrett
Tungsten Monk
Maximilia
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Jay/Cris
Keith Fraser
theweirdkind
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

Mary Sues in Original Fiction Empty
PostSubject: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 12:40 am

So in my speech class, we have to give a "How To" speech. I decided (for some reason) to do a speech on "How to Identify a Mary Sue in a Novel". Now, I know everything about Mary Sues, and I already know how to explain them to the class. However, I was trying to think of examples, and the only thing that came to mind was Twilight. Could anybody list some other novels with Mary Sues in them?
Back to top Go down
Keith Fraser
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Keith Fraser

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 1:12 am

-Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody
-Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth books
-Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged

More examples can be found at The Canon Sue Report
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 3:49 am

Ayla, from the Children of the Earth series by Jean M. Auel - especially everything following The Clan of the Cavebear.
And a rare example of a Mary Sue done well: Mary Poppins.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 7:00 am

Hmmm... yeah, but I think the POINT of Mary Poppins was that she was practically perfect in every way. That was part of her character. Nobody said, "No, she's not perfect; look at all these flaws I say she has but she never uses."

They admitted straight out that part of the entire thing about Mary Poppins was that she was supposed to be perfect.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 7:03 am

Oh, man, the Sue of all original Sues: Anita Blake from Laurell K. Hamilton's series. Not only is it a self-insert, but she keeps finding new and speshul powers every book, every man wants to sleep with her, she's pretty yet deadly, etc etc etc.
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 8:40 am

Maximilia wrote:
Oh, man, the Sue of all original Sues: Anita Blake from Laurell K. Hamilton's series. Not only is it a self-insert, but she keeps finding new and speshul powers every book, every man wants to sleep with her, she's pretty yet deadly, etc etc etc.
I wasn't sure if Anita Blake was a Sue since I only read the first two books. That's good to know.

Thanks for listing some examples, guys. It's greatly appreciated. Smile
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 11:46 am

THe first two books (actually the first four or five, I forget how many) aren't bad. Anything after Obsidian BUtterfly is nothing but a sex-romp with new and speshul powers and new and hotter men who want her. Even some of the ones before OB are pretty bad. Not horribly atrocious, but bad.
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Motherfucking ERAGON.
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 7:44 pm

That one goes without saying as much as the Drizzt books and Twilight do, though. Razz
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 8:03 am

I don't remember which one, but one of Dean R. Koontz books had this Pollyanna-like protagonist wio was such a lovely person with such [i[wonderful[/i] body and such a tragic past... perfect teeth, check; blonde hair, check; orphaned, check; evil stepmother, check; intelligent, generous and selfless, check, check, and check...

Well, most of Koontz's books are like that, but this one is the first book I couldn't finish because of it.
Back to top Go down
unskilled78
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 9:21 am

Luke and Anakin Skywalker.
Captain James T. Kirk
Spock, somewhat
Captain Picard
Commander Riker
Lt. Geordi La Forge (His only real "flaw" is his inability to date & that comes up in 2 episodes total.)
Wesley Crusher
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 2:37 pm

Mary Sues in general are dependent entirely on the environment around them. They have to have powers/abilities/whatever suitable to their environment. If a character is overpowered for the setting they're in, you run the risk of having a Mary Sue. You can avoid this by piling on more and more depth to them or by twisting them so that the viewer is unlikely to support them (and make it obvious that this is intentional or you wind up with another Wesley Crusher).

So I disagree with Skillet's choices of Spock, Picard, Riker, and Geordi as Sues. Kirk is borderline, it depends on who you ask. (Also, another one of Geordi's flaws is his blindness, though the VISOR tended to turn into more of an asset than a hindrance most of the time.)

Mary Poppins is also not a Sue because her perfection is intentional, the focus of the piece, and done in such a way that it doesn't get in the way of the other characters' personalities or plot lines. She is, however, unique in that she's perfect but not perfect in the style of a Sue. Then again, I didn't really like that movie, but my point still stands.

Hum... Mary Sues...

* Harry Potter
* Pretty much every character from Eragon
* Tek Janson (obviously intentional, but maybe a point on intentional Sues would be a useful)
* I would argue Menolly from the Dragonriders of Pern series, but I haven't read those books since I was fourteen so I only remember the most salient points.
* Robert Langdon from the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons
* That chick that Robert Langdon hangs out with, though I think it's a different chick in both novels. They're both Sues.
* Artemis Fowl or that fairy girl from those books? (same problem as Menolly except the age is even younger)
Back to top Go down
Miraba
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Miraba

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 3:07 pm

No, I would say that Menolly was a Sue.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 3:25 pm

Okay, good to hear.
Back to top Go down
Fairlight
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Fairlight

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 4:26 pm

James Bond, got to be one of the ultimate Stus.
Back to top Go down
Root Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Root Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 5:13 pm

Quote :
You can avoid this by piling on more and more depth to them or by twisting them so that the viewer is unlikely to support them (and make it obvious that this is intentional or you wind up with another Wesley Crusher).

It would also depend on the intent- like if someone seriously wanted to create a character like Wesley Crusher, or someone not as painfully annoying like Scrappy Doo, then it'd still be pretty damn awful.

Now there's Sues, and then there's badass characters, do not confuse them- the badasses have flaws, but they're underplayed due to limitations in media, pandering to what the audience would want to see/read, etc. It would also depend on how they're spun. 1950s Batman can definitely be considered a Stu in this regard, but different storytellers spin him in other directions. Another intentional anti-Sue device would be to make the heroes as flawed as the villains, (see Frank Miller's Batman graphic novels), but it just comes off as empty edginess.

And I really think that having a mostly heroic character with some flaws that aren't played up does not equal a Sue. Again it was likely the limitations at the time in what was acceptable to audiences. I mean hey, there are just some things you did not see on television back in the 1960s. But again, I have to agree with Doctor Professor Science when it comes to characters like Kirk. But uh, that's my two cents.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 7:13 pm

I'd say that Five-Year-Mission Kirk is borderline Sue, while movie Kirk (THE FIFTH MOVIE NEVER HAPPENED) is much less Sue-like.
Back to top Go down
Root Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Root Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 8:14 pm

Dr. Professor Science wrote:
I'd say that Five-Year-Mission Kirk is borderline Sue, while movie Kirk (THE FIFTH MOVIE NEVER HAPPENED) is much less Sue-like.

Same here.

Oh, here's some more:
Han Solo
Captain America

I'd go on to say something about Angelina Jolie but she's real. Razz
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 9:58 pm

If comic book characters count then, may I direct your attention to The Saint of Killers

Honestly, whatever I say to describe him won't do it justice. Just read the article.
Back to top Go down
DarthDarthington
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
DarthDarthington

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 10:13 pm

the asylum wrote:
If comic book characters count then, may I direct your attention to The Saint of Killers

Honestly, whatever I say to describe him won't do it justice. Just read the article.

But... he's a badass!

I definitely see where you're coming from by calling him a sue (heck, I kind of agree), but since like three fifths of everything in Preacher was some form of taking-the-piss and borderline parody, I can live with a character like SoK.
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 11:16 pm

Thank you for all of the feedback, but I already did my speech. I guess you can keep on discussing it, though.
Back to top Go down
Roo

Roo

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 12:11 am

How did the speech go, then? Smile
Back to top Go down
http://hyaroo.livejournal.com
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 12:30 am

Everybody said I did really well, but I don't find out my grade until Wednesday. Mary Sues in Original Fiction 309696
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 5:52 pm

DarthDarthington wrote:
the asylum wrote:

But... he's a badass!

I definitely see where you're coming from by calling him a sue (heck, I kind of agree), but since like three fifths of everything in Preacher was some form of taking-the-piss and borderline parody, I can live with a character like SoK.

Haven't read the books myself (They all seem like Sues to me), but in a world of mary sues fighting mary sues, Saint looks like the Sue of Sues.
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 11:05 pm

Got an A on the speech!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mary Sues in Original Fiction   Mary Sues in Original Fiction Empty

Back to top Go down

Mary Sues in Original Fiction
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next