Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service

Go down 
+5
Disco Stu
Cyberwulf
EileenK98
the asylum
ZOOLANDER
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ZOOLANDER
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
ZOOLANDER

Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service Empty
PostSubject: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 6:36 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
Teen atheist Jessica Ahlquist gained widespread media attention throughout 2012 after successfully suing to have a prayer mural removed from her high school in Cranston, R.I. After a judge sided with Alhquist, she received threats from those who opposed her actions and scholarships and praise from the nation’s atheist activist movement. But among the odder developments following the case was a subsequent spat that developed between Rhode Island-based florists and the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF), an atheistic non-profit.

You're in America, for crying out loud, of course you're going to get ostracized for this. That doesn't mean it's right, it just means it's to be expected. But on the other hand, it bugs me when atheists start lashing out like this and I'm not even Christian. For example, there's a cross up in the hills overlooking my town on the edge of the lookout spot. It lights up at night and can be easily seen from certain parts of the central business district. I don't know who pays for it to be maintained and powered, but it's (technically) on tribal land. Not even the tribal elders or the staunchest atheists in my town have even bothered trying to have it removed, in fact despite it's visibility most people forget it's even there. No, having a prayer mural in a school probably wasn't a good thing if it was exclusively Christian, but atheists who want to get rid of all religion everywhere - despite the existence of religions that don't hurt anyone - are doing more harm than good as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not saying it was right for the florists to have refused service, either - in fact that strikes me as rather spiteful and un-Christian - but I feel that suing someone over it is not the best way to go. If it was me, I would have just taken my business elsewhere (after giving them a long lecture) and then let the discriminating florist have it on social media later (or possibly even /b/). I saw something like this back in 2003 with the now-long-defunct Universist movement: they were organizing manufacture of membership bracelets or somesuch and the supplier refunded their money, saying they didn't want their business. People are going to refuse you service some time in your life, get over it. Virgin Mobile didn't want my business because I was disabled and Telstra wouldn't give me a phone plan because I don't have a driver's license. In the end, I got phone and internet with Dodo and have been happy with it ever since. I would only consider a lawsuit if there was the potential for a lot of other people to be seriously inconvenienced in the same way and the business was actually breaking the law in a concrete manner. (In hindsight, I probably should have sued Virgin Mobile.)

None of this, however, excuses the horrible, awful, hateful, bigoted rubbish spewing out of so-called "Christians" in the comments section. Some of those people need to be slapped around with a softcover Bible until their eyes derp.
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 7:08 am

You ever read a story where everyone involved is a douche

yeah

this is one of them
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 9:30 am

Can we please ban Xero Clue from starting topics? It's no good having him on ignore if I have to click "display" just to see what he's bawwing about this time.
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 10:26 am

Get fucked, Eileen. Take me off ignore if it bothers you that much.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 10:43 am

Eileen you are so fucking stupid it's unbelieveable.

ps Clopper your writeup is shitty and lacking pertinent information
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 11:19 am

You're right. I shouldn't have clicked.
Back to top Go down
Disco Stu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Disco Stu

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 11:40 am

Clopper, stop being such a tryhard and maybe you'll stop being such a shit poster

Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 12:20 pm

I would like to take this time to remind people that if you call me Clopper, I will not respond to your post.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Clopper wrote:
I would like to take this time to remind people that if you call me Clopper, I will not respond to your post.

And yet you keep doing it.

And don't think I didn't notice you changing my quote tags back to "Xerrofoot" from "Clopper" in the Starving Idiots thread.

I'd like to take this time to remind you if it so obviously annoys you people are going to keep doing it.

But if you'd prefer, I can call you Cloptrop. Because every time you post it reads like some twisted combination of this, this, and this.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 2:15 pm

xerrofoot wrote:
OH CLOPPER YOU THINK THAT'S A THREAT

THAT IS SO CUTE
Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 2:20 pm

I like the part where he thinks he's important!
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 8:43 pm

xerrofoot wrote:
And yet you responded to everyone. Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service 384608
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 9:05 pm

I keep forgetting. I'll be doubly sure to keep ignoring people who call me Clopper - or any variant of same.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 11:42 pm

Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 7:13 am

Penguin wrote:
A shining beacon of sanity in this asylum!
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 10:35 am

whoa whoa whoa leave me out of this ok
Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 2:01 pm

Not you, love, go back to sleep.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service   Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service Empty

Back to top Go down

Atheists Sue Rhode Island Florist For Refusing Service
Page 1 of 1