Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

COMICS R AWESOME!

Go down 
+11
bleachedblackcat
fapfapfap
Exodia's Right Leg
Reidmar
Cyberwulf
Lady Anne
Jay/Cris
Summercorn
Mr.Doobie
Somath Cegem
EileenK98
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 8:59 am

I'll admit, I'd love it too - if it weren't for the final two panels. It's got just about everything - wonderful dialogue, retro spaceships, aliens and SCIENCE!

Although I would like to know who decided that the official uniform for the entirely female Rocket Corps should be athletic bloomers, fishnets and court shoes. And why Dexter doesn't have to wear them.

According to one source the comic did really well in its initial run in the 50's, and then was re-run in the early 70's and had a much, much less favourable reception.

Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Meanwhile, in good/funny DC comics:

Justice League of America #2

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I love vibe's glance to the reader there...

Meanwhile:
Chris Sims of Comics Alliance had some thoughts about Wonder Woman:

This earned him some fanarts:

I done a lol.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 3:27 pm

^ Oh hell yes. I support Wonder Woman + ponytail.

Haha, in Batwoman: Elegy, Batman sees Batwoman and crits that fact that hair hair is long and just slipping out the back of her cowl all over because someone could grab it. Later it is reveal that the long hair is actually a fall (or a wig, I cannot remember). Much later someone tries to grab it and winds up falling off a building.
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 9:19 am

So, uh, I made this blog about comics and I'm planning to update it regularly...
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 6:53 am

Jay/Cris wrote:
So, uh, I made this blog about comics and I'm planning to update it regularly...

Looks fun - I'm gonna have to dig out my old LiveJournal account and figure out how subscribing and whatever works, I don't think I've ever used it.

bleachedblackcat wrote:

Ok, the ending sucked ass. But hey, comic code of the day. Can't have women being powerful and men need to show just how much in charge they are.

My comics history is pretty poor and I genuinely didn't know how restrictive the CC was. Especially as most of my knowledge of it comes from Stan Lee's numerous liberties (intentional or not, see: MJ) with it - but I guess that was in the mid-to-late 70's when the CC was weakening.

Looking into a little history I stumbled across Bill Gaines. Gains was ahead of his time and pretty extreme to boot and became rather demonised as a result. He had numerous confrontations with the CC, most of which seemed designed not for the protection of poor impressionable childrens, but rather a way of bullying him out of business.

He created this comic, Judgement Day, which I love to pieces: [spoilered for huge]

Spoiler:

The story is a pretty rote "racism is bad" type tale, but what is special about it is a conversation that occurred around it:

Quote :
This really made 'em go bananas in the Code czar's office. 'Judge Murphy was off his nut. He was really out to get us', recalls [EC editor] Feldstein. 'I went in there with this story and Murphy says, "It can't be a Black man". But ... but that's the whole point of the story!' Feldstein sputtered. When Murphy continued to insist that the Black man had to go, Feldstein put it on the line. 'Listen', he told Murphy, 'you've been riding us and making it impossible to put out anything at all because you guys just want us out of business'. [Feldstein] reported the results of his audience with the czar to Gaines, who was furious [and] immediately picked up the phone and called Murphy. 'This is ridiculous!' he bellowed. 'I'm going to call a press conference on this. You have no grounds, no basis, to do this. I'll sue you'. Murphy made what he surely thought was a gracious concession. 'All right. Just take off the beads of sweat'. At that, Gaines and Feldstein both went ballistic. 'Fuck you!' they shouted into the telephone in unison. Murphy hung up on them, but the story ran in its original form

Comic history is fascinating!

I've been focusing on American comics, too, and recently I've been made aware of a character called Sanmao from China.

Sanmao was created by comic artist Zhang Leping who created the character as a commentary on the state of China in the late 30's to 40's, during Shanghai's "Golden era"

Basically Sanmao is an orphan child whose life is pretty much shit through no fault of his own. Sanmao is treated with disdain from the rich and even his peers, and, basically, he just survives - barely. He became an icon in China for the Communist symbolism and messaging he portrayed.

Spoilered again for huge and for being overwhelmingly COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 309696

Spoiler:

Comics are amazing.
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 1:59 pm

Quote :
Japanese soldiers just turn up and murder the fisherman for no reason.

Well... seeing as the Japanese straight up raped/murdered lot of people when they hit China...

I did start laughing at the very end. It's like some bad fanfic in which every single thing that could happen happens to the Mary Sue to show how twagic her past was.

Quote :
My comics history is pretty poor and I genuinely didn't know how restrictive the CC was. Especially as most of my knowledge of it comes from Stan Lee's numerous liberties (intentional or not, see: MJ) with it - but I guess that was in the mid-to-late 70's when the CC was weakening.

Fun fact: Spider-Man was one of the first comics to run without the comic code seal of approval on it in 1971 due to it having drugs in the issue (the whole thing was an anti-drug message). In fact a lot of people cite that as one of the code's reasons for going under. And was one of the first comics to have an hero FAIL at saving someone he was close to.

Of course comics now have to have as much failing to save people and drugs as they can shove into their pages alongside the not needed T&A.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 7:01 am

And for today contestant in this episode of "Context is for wimps" is Tony Stark:

[edit] oh fine. Context in the spoiler:

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 2:44 pm

Haha X-Statix was p crazy.
Back to top Go down
Mouse
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Mouse

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:27 pm

That must have been fun for the artists having to draw two nude guys fighting while making sure that no one sees their dicks. I love comic books, I really do.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 7:12 am

As opposed to Oglaf, where the artists draw nude guys fighting and have to make sure you definitely see their dicks.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 5:49 am

Mouse wrote:
That must have been fun for the artists having to draw two nude guys fighting while making sure that no one sees their dicks. I love comic books, I really do.

grmblfjx wrote:

As opposed to Oglaf, where the artists draw nude guys fighting and have to make sure you definitely see their dicks.

Hawkeye #3 has a scene wherein a butt-naked Hawkeye is attacked. He has to dive to the side to avoid being shot.

That's the actual panel. As it appears in the comic book.

It's become a bit of a meme:

[edit]

And speaking of Hawkguy Hawkeye Hawkguy...

Here's panel 1 of issue one:

Matt Fraction is best nerd

You need to be reading Hawkeye Hawkguy.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 1:51 am

I'm thinking of a thing or two to post here. It may or may not include any or all of the following: Dial H, Justice League Unlimited (and the DCAU in general), Injustice: Gods among us and/or rumours and speculation about the Justice League Film.

In the meantime have a few panels from Transformers Spotlight: Trailcutter, part of Transformers: More than meets the eye.

Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:14 am

I love the DCAU, it probably did more to get me into superheros than anything else.
Back to top Go down
Mouse
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Mouse

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:15 pm

Word on the DCAU love. To this day, I judge comic book characters against what I've seen in the DCAU. Kevin Conroy is and always will be Batman and it's Mark Hamil's voice I hear when I read Joker's stuff.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 9:13 pm

THE BIRD WITH MURDER IN ITS EYES

Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Reidmar

Location : A string of Code in the Interwebz( IF living = true input ragequit)

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 10:46 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
THE BIRD WITH MURDER IN ITS EYES

Fucking Lol'd hard. Oh god I need to read this now.
Back to top Go down
Mouse
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Mouse

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 EmptyWed May 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Oh how I love that cover, almost as much as that one with the chick beating up a space ape with a shark.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COMICS R AWESOME!    COMICS R AWESOME!  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

COMICS R AWESOME!
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3