Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man

Go down 
+14
Penguin
lemmingwriter
rachel
Spotts1701
Cyberwulf
Adagio
Sakurelf
Mikey Go WOOGA
Lady Anne
Seule
WD40
Azzandra
Aggie
Rabid Badger
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man   CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 1:38 pm

Penguin wrote:
Quote :
Because ignoring a person's intentions to get high may lead to their injury or death?*
You can do that off of alcohol, and we all saw how well Prohibition worked.
Because outside of Prohibitions there have never been any restrictions on the purchase of alcohol outside of how much you can afford, amirite?

You can debate all you want about which products should be restricted and how and why, but I cannot agree that everyone shoud be able to buy whatever they want all the time.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man   CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 1:47 pm

Outside of the military, I have never run into alcohol sales as restrictive as those ridiculous cough syrup rules.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man   CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Haha, ok, I am not saying they do not need to be fixed at all.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man   CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 1:59 pm

They don't need to exist at all.

Sakurelf wrote:
And addict's problem is everyone around's problem. If I was a pharmacist, I would care about my own health and safety. Dispensing drugs to someone you have tracked and know is consuming much higher quantities than recommended is now my problem. I sell products that are, in high quantities, poisonous. To ignore it is to allow another person to potentially harm themselves or harm others through intoxicated behaviour.

Oh well. Knowing someone has a problem does not make it your problem.

Quote :
We may have these foundational notions about rights and freedoms, but in the real world, common sense, professional expertise and judgement count for something. This is why we require bartenders to have a license and follow the law.

And these laws don't really have any appreciable impact on alcohol-related problems.

Quote :
This is also why, although alcohol is sold, we put limits on it.

Since when?

Quote :
We cut people off at bars,

Bartender's discretion, not a law.

Quote :
and we only sell it to adults.

With debatable impact on society.

Quote :
We pull people over if we suspect they have been drinking.

There is a difference between being intoxicated, and being intoxicated and controlling a two-ton killing machine on public roads.

Quote :
Cough syrup doesn't have those same restrictions, so it is up to the "bartender" aka pharmacist to decide when people are cut off and don't need more than the recommended dosage.

Except it's not determined by pharmacists, it's determined by lawyers, either to set corporate policy or to legislate.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man   CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 2:57 pm

Penguin wrote:
Quote :
IDK about where you live, but where I live bars are liable for injuries sustained/ inflicted on others by their customers as a result of their intoxication. A bar that does not cut people off is courting legal trouble, even if they are not breaking a law.

Also, you know... bartending licenses, state owned liquor stores, restriction on days and hours alcohol can be sold, ABV caps either on certain types of beverages (especially in states making the distinction between hard liquors and beer/wine) or overall, dry counties, 'public drunkeness' being a real crime you can get arrested for, restrictions on what kind of container alcohol can be in (open? closed? glass?) in public spaces, restrictions on issuing drinks as 'prizes', oh and in some states there is actually a limit on how much hootch you can buy at one time!! Crazy!

Unless you live in Nevada there are legal restrictions on your booze.* And even Nevada has an age restriction.

*yes I am only counting the US in this generalization, feel free to tell me all about booze laws in other countries.
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man   CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:37 pm

Quote :
Quote :

There is a difference between being intoxicated, and being intoxicated and controlling a two-ton killing machine on public roads.

But you just said that it's not your or anyone else's problem. So it is not the bartender's problem if a person who's smashed asks to drive and they hand them over their keys, no questions asked?

What about someone who chugs an entire bottle (or two, or three or whatever they feel makes a good high) of cough syrup and then gets behind the wheel? What's the difference if the level of intoxication / impairment occuring is the same?

We control alcohol because it is a "known" substance, and we've carefully watched its effects for thousands of years. A substance like cough syrup, also considered medicine (therefore safe, and friendly) hasn't been under the same scrutiny until very recently. Alcohol is known by society to be "bad". We watch news stories of teens who have died from drunk drivers. It's been drilled into our heads. But we don't attach those same feelings to other substances even when they are equally imparing, equally addictive and equally subject to recreation and abuse.

Now, I agree that laws directly influencing sales are probably not able to cover everything, and may in fact limit someone's ability to sate their cough. But that's why I feel it should be a pharmacist's discretion to judge. human beings who are trained in the field should be able to know if someone is coming in every three days and buying four bottles at a time and ask questions or refuse sale.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man   CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
Penguin wrote:
Quote :
IDK about where you live, but where I live bars are liable for injuries sustained/ inflicted on others by their customers as a result of their intoxication. A bar that does not cut people off is courting legal trouble, even if they are not breaking a law.

Yup. I can attest to that, since my dad's bar was found liable when the bartender DID cut someone off, but didn't pull the drink out of their hand... and forty minutes later they shot someone at their house. Liable for about a half a million dollars.
Back to top Go down
Adagio
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Adagio

PostSubject: Re: CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man   CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 6:16 am

Sakurelf wrote:
Quote :
Quote :

But you just said that it's not your or anyone else's problem. So it is not the bartender's problem if a person who's smashed asks to drive and they hand them over their keys, no questions asked?

Sakurelf, I understand where you're coming from even if I don't agree with you, but could you please at least not use fallacious arguments like this?

[quote=Sakurelf]What about someone who chugs an entire bottle (or two, or three or whatever they feel makes a good high) of cough syrup and then gets behind the wheel? What's the difference if the level of intoxication / impairment occuring is the same?[/quote]

Also, what does this have to do with anything? In any event I'm pretty sure Penguin already adequately answered this question upthread: there's a difference between getting high in your own time, in the privacy of your home (or your friend's home, or whatever), and someone getting high and then driving on public roads. But like I said, this has literally nothing to do with the discussion at hand, so I'm not really sure why you brought it up.

[quote="Sakurelf]But we don't attach those same feelings to other substances even when they are equally imparing, equally addictive and equally subject to recreation and abuse.[/quote]

Given that controls on cough syrup are more restrictive than controls on alcohol (in the 'States, anyway), it's actually the other way 'round.
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man   CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 8:32 am

Quote :

Sakurelf, I understand where you're coming from even if I don't agree with you, but could you please at least not use fallacious arguments like this?

I'm not trying to be stubborn, but I fail to see how my argument is fallacious.

These scenarios have to do with the discretion of the person dispensing the substance. The real-world precident is to hold a bartender accountable for cutting people off of alcohol, and punishing them if they let a person get too intoxicated or cause an accident.

Therefore, in my opinion, it is a pharmacist's right, if not responsibility to control the dispensal of a similar intoxicating substance.

Quote :
there's a difference between getting high in your own time, in the privacy of your home (or your friend's home, or whatever), and someone getting high and then driving on public roads. But like I said, this has literally nothing to do with the discussion at hand, so I'm not really sure why you brought it up.

You are assuming that these people are getting high in the comfort of their homes and not on the streets. Which would be well and good, except that the type of kids that like to huff paint are usually homeless or in poverty. I am bringing it up because who is to say that people only get high on cough syrup when they are not a danger to themselves or others? I feel like it is relevant because an intoxicated person is an intoxicated person, no matter where they are, or what they are intoxicated by.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man   CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Sakurelf wrote:
You are assuming that these people are getting high in the comfort of their homes and not on the streets. Which would be well and good, except that the type of kids that like to huff paint are usually homeless or in poverty. I am bringing it up because who is to say that people only get high on cough syrup when they are not a danger to themselves or others? I feel like it is relevant because an intoxicated person is an intoxicated person, no matter where they are, or what they are intoxicated by.
Actually, where does matter. If you drink six beers at home and don't go out and drive or operate other dangerous machinery, you're not hurting anybody. If you take a sleeping pill and then get into the car and start driving, you run a high risk of harming yourself and others. Yes, where does matter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man   CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 2:01 am

Lady Anne wrote:
Sakurelf wrote:
Actually, where does matter. If you drink six beers at home and don't go out and drive or operate other dangerous machinery, you're not hurting anybody. If you take a sleeping pill and then get into the car and start driving, you run a high risk of harming yourself and others. Yes, where does matter.

Similarly, what matters at well. If you're intoxicated because you had three glasses of wine for dinner and go dancing afterwards, I wouldn't call you a danger to society. Three XTC for dinner and then going to a rave in an abandoned airport hangar, however, could end a mite more badly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man   CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

CVS Refuses to Selling Morning After Pill to Man
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2