Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun

Go down 
+8
Mikey Go WOOGA
Reepicheep-chan
grmblfjx
Penguin
Lurv
Salamas
WD40
Sakurelf
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Reidmar
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Reidmar

Location : A string of Code in the Interwebz( IF living = true input ragequit)

Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun   Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 2:00 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
I'm sorry, but, wtf is wrong with you people.

This is a series of games with Airships that look like this, people run around with demonic personifications of fire living in their heads, and THIS is one of the most deadly and damaging things in final fantasy history.

You are debating whether the shape of a sword hilt is actually practical, you people are what is wrong with the internet! (especially seeing as the main problem is how high up from the hilt the damn trigger is not the shape of the hilt itself, honestly people)

You should do what I do. Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun - Page 2 453357 sit back and laugh at the people who argue about these things.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun   Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 2:21 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
I'm sorry, but, wtf is wrong with you people.

We snark things and debate verisimilitude. What are you, fucking new?

Quote :
This is a series of games with Airships that look like this, people run around with demonic personifications of fire living in their heads, and THIS is one of the most deadly and damaging things in final fantasy history.

Well hey, thanks for citing a bunch of examples from after the point where the series went full retard. Also, way to completely fail to notice all the talk about style here.

Quote :
You are debating whether the shape of a sword hilt is actually practical,

Yep. Deal with it.

Quote :
you people are what is wrong with the internet!

Again, acting like this is the first time you've found this forum.

Quote :
(especially seeing as the main problem is how high up from the hilt the damn trigger is not the shape of the hilt itself, honestly people)
Actually, the trigger position isn't a problem at all.

Did some GIS to refresh my memory as to the design. Uses both pistol and rifle style grips:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But we mostly likely have "revolver" in mind:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And here is an M1 Garand:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So yeah. That's not why it's ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun   Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
I dunno what you tell you Somath dear, some things unsuspend my disbelief and some things do not.
Back to top Go down
Eeveegou
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Eeveegou

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun   Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:27 pm

I was always under the impression that we played video games to escape whatever facet of reality we're trying to get away from. It's certainly kept me from shooting my cat. So I mean, if you want a gun that's a sword, just make it look possible and disguise it with eradicating certain physics like hefty kickback and arm positioning or whatever you guys were fretting about.

If y'all wanted to escape the confines of reality while also experiencing the confines of reality, I'd imagine there's a very expensive virtual reality laundry mat simulator out there somewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://eeveegou.deviantart.com
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun   Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Eeveegou wrote:
I was always under the impression that we played video games to escape whatever facet of reality we're trying to get away from. It's certainly kept me from shooting my cat. So I mean, if you want a gun that's a sword, just make it look possible and disguise it with eradicating certain physics like hefty kickback and arm positioning or whatever you guys were fretting about.

If y'all wanted to escape the confines of reality while also experiencing the confines of reality, I'd imagine there's a very expensive virtual reality laundry mat simulator out there somewhere.

Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun   Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 11:30 pm

Penguin wrote:
Spoiler:

The problem with a gunblade is the weight. You hould a rifle with two hands. The one hand, half-way up the barrel is to steady and aim it. You can't do that with a gunblade unless you want to hold your gun... which is now cutting you with its sword blade. And if you're shooting from, say a sniper position, that job is still done by a resting spot on the ground / shelf / stand / whatever. Holding a rifle with one hand and trying to get an accurate shot is pointless. (Also, if your target is close enough that you don't need the accuracy of a rifle... why have a rifle? Just have a pistol. Or a knife.) A sword-gun reduces utility with its lack of function.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun   Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 11:46 pm

Remember, Squall's gunblade isn't used to shoot people. It's used as some kind of JATO for your sword swing. Accuracy is irrelevant.

Lightning's gunblade folds into a much more compact weapon when she fires it, and she can hold it in both hands to aim.

As for why you'd use a rifle up close, rifles are a lot more powerful than pistols, and if you're holding them properly, much easier to point with.
Back to top Go down
Eeveegou
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Eeveegou

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun   Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Penguin wrote:
Eeveegou wrote:

Thank you for just taking what I said and curb-stomping it "a la skinhead" by replying with a wikipedia entry. I was really hoping you were giving me a link to an actual laundromat simulator... you know... like I had asked for that you should've picked up on.

Back to top Go down
http://eeveegou.deviantart.com
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun   Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Eeveegou wrote:
Penguin wrote:
Eeveegou wrote:

Thank you for just taking what I said and curb-stomping it "a la skinhead" by replying with a wikipedia entry. I was really hoping you were giving me a link to an actual laundromat simulator... you know... like I had asked for that you should've picked up on.

The point you and Somath make, while sensible and logical, is invalidated by the very nature of this forum. This is the purpose of the forum itself. Asking "why" implies that we are not fulfiling the forum's purpose.

In which case, I heartily encourage you to do something that does. This place has been too dead lately.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun   Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 5:52 am

Sakurelf wrote:
The point you and Somath make, while sensible and logical, is invalidated by the very nature of this forum. This is the purpose of the forum itself. Asking "why" implies that we are not fulfiling the forum's purpose.

In which case, I heartily encourage you to do something that does. This place has been too dead lately.

The Primary point of this forum is to make fun of stuff that does not make sense in the context of the source material aka Fan-fiction twisting the canon of a book, the secondary being the deconstruction of generally poor writing and spelling practices, the Tertiary being the slow sodding and raging at things going wrong in the world at large, films, video games etc.
That being said if a work of fiction claims to be based in the real world, then we can apply real world values to it, Eg somebody using an assault rifle one handed and not having reload after constantly firing for 10 minutes, prolly not gonna fly.
However, debating the logic behind weapons in a Science Fiction/Fantasy RPG Series with no claims of being based in reality what so ever, especially when almost every other piece of tech in all the games is just as off the wall stupid and would never actually work, is pretty much the definition of scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Just saying.
Back to top Go down
Lurv
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lurv

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun   Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:26 pm

The thing is, a story doesn't need to be realistic, but it really helps if it's believable. Even in the context of a sci-fi/fantasy story, suspension of disbelief can only take so much, especially when it takes itself seriously like FFXIII (at least that's my impression from five minutes of "playing" it).

But I think I'm sort of repeating Penguin's point, so
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun   Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 10:24 pm

It doesn't even matter to me if it works in the context of the series. A foldable bow with sharp ends that point toward the user is stupid.

Unless the people using it are magically immune to accidentally stabbing themselves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun   Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Fantasy designers don't know how to use a gun
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2