Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wearing leather

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

Wearing leather Empty
PostSubject: Wearing leather   Wearing leather EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 7:03 pm

I need to know what it feels like to wear leather pants, especially for an extended period of time. If someone has ridden a motorcycle while wearing that, I'd love to hear more. I'd also like to hear about wearing leather shirts, if someone's done that.

I have a demon hunter that has decided that the Blade Look is perfect for him. He has, however, never worn leather before. He's not really a leather kind of guy.
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

Wearing leather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wearing leather   Wearing leather EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 7:29 pm

Hi, fashion design major.

I work more with fur than with leather, but I guess it depends what setting it's in, and how much it's being worn. Are we talking modern-day for-the-purpose leather clothing, which is treated and processes much different than leatehr throughout history, of course. And then we have magical Legolas Leather which I assume has its own properties. Also depending on how long it's been worn overall and how long it's being worn at a time will determine how it wears. Are we talking worn for hours at a time, or days at a time? Long-period wear will of course break leather down faster, and wear it in better. It gets much more comfortable when worn.

New, modern leather clothing can be soft when first worn if it's very expensive (Dolce and Gabbana type snazz) but it's usually pretty stiff. Modern biker stuff is also made slightly thicker for protection from wind and the abrasion of your bike itself than just fashion leather. If it fits properly, though, you shouldn't have any restriction of movement in the joints or crotch area, but its is quite a bit heavier than even denim of equivalent jacket/pant make.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

Wearing leather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wearing leather   Wearing leather EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 1:01 pm

This is modern day leather, and it is brand new. It's also not the soft ~fashionable~ leather. This probably came from a shop that caters primarily to bikers. He's wearing it primarily because it's sturdy, secondly because he thinks it looks badass. He is going to be doing a lot of moving in it, including fighting and running for his life, so there is going to be a lot of sweating, and possibly blood &/or whatever demons bleed.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

Wearing leather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wearing leather   Wearing leather EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Nihilist wrote:
So is this the relevant place to ask if assless chaps in the middle of the desert in June will be a good idea?

I plan on them being leather, yes.

Chaps are, by definition, assless.
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

Wearing leather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wearing leather   Wearing leather EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Nihilist wrote:
So is this the relevant place to ask if assless chaps in the middle of the desert in June will be a good idea?

I plan on them being leather, yes.

Sure, if you want to make Burning Man literal. Wearing leather 961878

But seriously, wear sunscreen, and bring some sort of heavy-duty sweat program. Talcum powder, or line the inside areas with felt or suede or something. Leather may be a little more forgiving than PVC, but it's still pretty non-porous. And heavy.

To tie this into Rae's question, I assume this hunter is of sufficient strength and not a total wimp. The best description I can give is that it is stiffer and heavier than most clothing people normally wear. It's a little like, well, armour.

Also, any liquid like blood that dries on it is not the greatest idea. If you don't wipe it off, it can absorb into the hide if there's any sort of micro-cracks in the coating (and there will be within a week-month of wear) and it will make it turn hard and stain it. Aaaand there isn't a huge market for dry-cleaning blood out of leather :B I hope he likes the rugged look. Or has a shoe-care kit at home.

(The downside of leather is that you can only sew it once and holy balls you just wasted $200 because you stitched a single row wrong. Haha, fuckwit, now you get an N/C on your project. D:)
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

Wearing leather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wearing leather   Wearing leather EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 3:05 pm

I would think they would be drafty, and dry dirt/sand would be an issue. Sandy soil + buttcrack = pain, so sayeth the person who sat their naked ass on sandy soil and had that happen. Of course, some of that may be because I had to dress and hike back to camp without getting to take a last dip in the river.

Sakurelf: Yeah, the heaviness of the leather ought not be a problem, though I'm wondering if it will slow him down at least a little till he's worn it a little while. How likely is it to chafe &/or pinch sensitive areas, especially once he's sweating? And about how quickly will the liquids take to make the leather stiff once it's dried? I don't think he's going to have much time to do any care for it besides wiping the worst of the gook off, what with the fighting going on. He's not going to have time to do much more than sad-face if it gets ruined. But if it can only be sewn once, it's going to be ruined anyway since parts of it are probably getting shredded. What's the likelihood of being able to patch it later?
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

Wearing leather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wearing leather   Wearing leather EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 6:55 pm

Somebody's remembering Mad Max and how he thought wearing black leather in the middle of the freaking DESERT was a good idea.

Black really heats up.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Sponsored content

Wearing leather Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wearing leather   Wearing leather Empty

Back to top Go down

Wearing leather
Page 1 of 1