Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.

Go down 
+19
Saleha
KGarrett
Manny
Melissa
Sorsa A. Jänis
fishstickhater
Avari
Atramentua
The Unoriginal
Chris91
Dick Powers
unskilled78
Raine
T.S.Orr
Mikey Go WOOGA
Lady Anne
Chaltab
Mafiosa
Spotts1701
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. Empty
PostSubject: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 9:17 pm

Ah, Florida...

Quote :
A lawyer for a north Florida school district says a handful of students have been sent home from Alachua County schools this week for wearing shirts that read "Islam is of the Devil."

School district staff attorney Tom Wittmer says the shirts might have offended or distracted others and violated the district's dress code.

Before anyone goes all balls-to-the-wall about free speech, please remember that we have had a very long and drawn out discussion many times about how schools have every right to restrict student's free speech rights in order to prevent classroom disruptions.

Bonus Video

Quote :
15-year old Emily Sapp, one of the high school students sent home for wearing the shirt, was asked whether she knows any Muslim children. “I’ve met Muslim children, but I don’t actually have any contact with them at the moment,” she said. “I don’t know why that is -- I guess we’ve just never become friends.”

Gee, I wonder why that could be?
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 9:33 pm

Shitty parents lead to shitty kids.

Way to continue to suck, Florida.
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 9:45 pm

I'm pretty sure most schools have policies against wearing clothing that targets another people group. My high school did.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 10:05 pm

The school I work for doesn't allow clothing that puts down another group, either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 10:49 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
The school I work for doesn't allow clothing that puts down another group, either.

So kids can't wear their "Ravens Suck" T-Shirts? Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. 309696
Back to top Go down
T.S.Orr
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
T.S.Orr

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 12:45 am

I just lurve the dad's response. Dear dumbshit, that comparison is not the same as teaching your children that hating someone based on their religious beliefs is right. Can someone just drop a nuclear war head on Florida and be done with it please?
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 2:01 am

I still don't quite understand why the US doesn't have a uniform system like Australia does... >_>
Back to top Go down
unskilled78
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 6:04 am

T.S.Orr wrote:
I just lurve the dad's response. Dear dumbshit, that comparison is not the same as teaching your children that hating someone based on their religious beliefs is right. Can someone just drop a nuclear war head on Florida and be done with it please?
Your radiation makes our mutations odder!
Back to top Go down
Dick Powers
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Dick Powers

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 6:59 am

Raine wrote:
I still don't quite understand why the US doesn't have a uniform system like Australia does... >_>

Philadelphia has a uniform policy, but they're aren't uniforms-uniforms but polo/button down shirts and slacks for both boys and girls. The color depends on the school which you'll end up with colors like burgundy and green school colors.
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 7:09 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

So kids can't wear their "Ravens Suck" T-Shirts? Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. 309696

They mean ethnic and religious groups, silly. Razz
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 7:15 am

I fail to see where this is godawful news. But probably that was the part where they showed up at school in "Islam is of the devil" T-shirts in the first place, in which case, I am absolutely with you.
Back to top Go down
Atramentua

Atramentua

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 9:06 am

Oh wow my state sucks balls. What the fuck. D:

The Unoriginal wrote:
I fail to see where this is godawful news. But probably that was the part where they showed up at school in "Islam is of the devil" T-shirts in the first place, in which case, I am absolutely with you.

Y'know, Unoriginal, in spite of the violence that has been committed by Islamic extremists, I think generalizing the whole fucking religion is a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
Avari

Avari

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 9:54 am

Atramentua wrote:
Y'know, Unoriginal, in spite of the violence that has been committed by Islamic extremists, I think generalizing the whole fucking religion is a bad idea.
... Have you read the Unoriginal's post in it's entirety, especially the "I am absolutely with you" part?
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 10:04 am

Yeah... I don't think anyone here is saying that the kids should be wearing the shirts.

It's arguable that they have a legal right to wear them, but legal and ethical are often two different things.
Back to top Go down
fishstickhater
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
fishstickhater

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 10:43 am

And this is why I'm just oh-so-happy to live in Florida.
Ugh. We had that sort of thing happen back when I was in high school. Of course, the teachers weren't any better in some cases.
Back to top Go down
Sorsa A. Jänis
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sorsa A. Jänis

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 11:21 am

Even if you have legally right to do something, doesn't mean you have to do it. In Finland it's called common sense.

Last edited by Sorsa A. Jänis on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://sunbeamattack.deviantart.com/
Melissa
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 11:22 am

Quadratus wrote:
Raine wrote:

Philadelphia has a uniform policy, but they're aren't uniforms-uniforms but polo/button down shirts and slacks for both boys and girls. The color depends on the school which you'll end up with colors like burgundy and green school colors.

Same here in Louisiana. Some of the uniforms make allowances for shorts since it gets real hot down here.
Back to top Go down
Manny
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Manny

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 12:36 pm

I wonder how the public would respond if those kids wore their opinion outside school?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/~lazerth
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Depends on where they wore them. Most places probably wouldn't say anything even if they thought it was rude, but obviously they might find some trouble if they strolled into a Muslim community.
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 1:00 pm

And in some places they might be encouraged, though I'd hope that attitude's started to die down.
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 1:38 pm

Sorsa A. Jänis wrote:
Even if you have legally right to do something, doesn't mean you have to do it. In Finland it's called common sense.

Speaking from experience, that can be pretty rare in some parts of this country, and I hear Florida has some particularly large deficiencies... *ducks rotten tomatoes thrown at her by Floridians*
Back to top Go down
http://diva-urd.livejournal.com/
Lysander
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 2:40 pm

If someone wore a "Christianity is of the Devil" t-shirt, the same people bleating about free speech would crowd on them like sharks in a feeding frenzy.
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 3:13 pm

I wouldn't. They have the right to where whatever shirt they want, good taste aside.
Back to top Go down
Dick Powers
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Dick Powers

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 3:15 pm

Chaltab wrote:
They have the right to where whatever shirt they want...
Not in school they don't. Yeah
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Melissa wrote:
Quadratus wrote:
Raine wrote:

Same here in Louisiana. Some of the uniforms make allowances for shorts since it gets real hot down here.

For public schools here we usually have those sorts of allowances too. The kids usually wear their own jackets in winter.

Private schools are different though. I remember when I went to one we had separate uniforms for winter and summer. The winter one was a pain in the neck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.   Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts. Empty

Back to top Go down

Students sent home for wearing "Islam is of the devil" shirts.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next