Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NaNoWriMo dares

Go down 
+2
EileenK98
ZoZo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

NaNoWriMo dares Empty
PostSubject: NaNoWriMo dares   NaNoWriMo dares EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 5:39 pm

Sometimes, when they sort-of work, I look at the NaNoWriMo forums. For most genres, they put up a series of dares, weighted by points. I've already taken these ones up, because my novel is shaping up a little saner than I'd hoped.

Quote :
+10 if your MC changes his/her name every other week.
+15 if your MC breaks the fourth wall and is aware that they're a character in a book.
+30 if one of your secondary characters becomes the main character halfway through the story.
+50 if your MC dies in the end.

and

Quote :
Basic Dare - The author of your novel (that's you, or is it?) appears as a character in the novel.
Bonus - He/she is identified as the author in the course of the novel.
Bonus x2 - He/she utilizes the power of authorship to alter details of the novel.
Bonus x3 - The novel fights back.
Bonus xNinja - All of the above, and this isn't actually a novel, but your autobiography.

(though I'll probably skip the ninja bonus on the last one)

I thought it might be fun for us to try a few for ourselves.

So, WGW, here are some dares:
+10 for referencing an internet shock site.
+20 for graphically describing the content of said shock site.
+50 if one of your characters is goatse guy or tubgirl or one of the girls with the cup, etc.

+10 for a character bellowing "WHY, GOD, WHY?"
+20 if the character is named after a WGW poster.
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

NaNoWriMo dares Empty
PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMo dares   NaNoWriMo dares EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 6:10 pm

Quote :
+10 for a character bellowing "WHY, GOD, WHY?"
+20 if the character is named after a WGW poster.

I have a Norg. I'll have to make him believe in a God.
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

NaNoWriMo dares Empty
PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMo dares   NaNoWriMo dares EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 6:53 pm

Will "Why, gods, why?" be sufficient to complete the dare?
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

NaNoWriMo dares Empty
PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMo dares   NaNoWriMo dares EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 10:17 pm

Cool idea. :D In the vein of that...

• +20 points for each WGWer to make a cameo in your story under their own handle. No calling people by real names (if you know them).
  • +40 points for making them tertiary characters--more than cameos, somewhat integral to the plot--and keeping them "in character" (... well, as close as you can get to their forum personalities anyway)
  • +60 points if they are a main character, and they stay "in character" (again, as close as you can get to forum personalities)
  • +20 points for each bad author/bad story mentioned in the story. Examples include "legolas" by laura, anything by Laurell K Hamilton, "Agony in Pink", etc.

• x1.5 for a discussion of the snark, the author, or the story for each mention. (ie, as characters are waiting for the bus. "Is that Blue Moon you're reading?" "Yeah." "Dude, why are you reading that? It sucked donkey balls!" "It's not so bad so far..." and then the bus arrives or something)
    • x2 if it's the main point of the scene. (ie, an entire scene... pretty much centered on the author, snark, or story)

• +30 if CWC makes a cameo via a video in your story. You must include the weird ranty behavior though, and you can't copy it from his other weird rants! :D
  • +10 points for each lolspeak comment snuck into your text. Ie, "I can haz cheezburger?", "nom nom nom", and so on.

I'm sure I can think of some more, eventually.

Last edited by Maximilia on Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

NaNoWriMo dares Empty
PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMo dares   NaNoWriMo dares EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 5:43 am

I might be able to get a few of these in. One of my characters is an internet troll...
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

NaNoWriMo dares Empty
PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMo dares   NaNoWriMo dares EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 8:24 pm

I seem to be in a somewhat meta mood tonight.

• +10 for each of these achievements (created by I_am_Red) that you manage.
  • +25 for each combo. (Doing all the character-killing achievements frex.)
  • +50 for getting both the dragon and the aliens achievements.
  • +500 for getting the precision achievement.

Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

NaNoWriMo dares Empty
PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMo dares   NaNoWriMo dares EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 12:04 am

Ok, that is pretty awesome, Kel. :D

I'd have to add for my list of dares:

• +10 points for each lolspeak comment you can put in your text. Ie, "nom nom nom" or "i haz cheezburger", or "sad face is sad" or what-have-you.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

NaNoWriMo dares Empty
PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMo dares   NaNoWriMo dares EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 7:52 am

Ooh, I do like these achievements. I'm hoping to get the "perfect attendance" combo!

Maxi, I am doing your lolspeak dare right now. For some reason, it felt right to insert an IM conversation between two 14 year old characters into the text.
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

NaNoWriMo dares Empty
PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMo dares   NaNoWriMo dares EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 10:25 am

Maximilia wrote:

[*]+30 if CWC makes a cameo via a video in your story. You must include the weird ranty behavior though, and you can't copy it from his other weird rants! :D

Oh my God, I can one-up this. My characters are scheduled for a multi-state long-distance flight from the bad guy, and it wouldn't be hard at all to bring them down to Virginia for a little bit. Even better, my main character is an eighteen-to-twenty-eight-year-old boyfriend-free girl. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NaNoWriMo dares Empty
PostSubject: Re: NaNoWriMo dares   NaNoWriMo dares Empty

Back to top Go down

NaNoWriMo dares
Page 1 of 1