Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Video game community unites to help game designer's wife and child

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

Video game community unites to help game designer's wife and child Empty
PostSubject: Video game community unites to help game designer's wife and child   Video game community unites to help game designer's wife and child EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Sometimes, the Internet comes through.

Quote :
Brian Wood, the lead designer of Company of Heroes Online, was driving his pregnant wife, Erin Wood, to their family home on Whidbey Island in Washington State on Sept. 3 when an out-of-control Chevy Blazer crossed the center line of the road they were on and smashed into the Wood's Subaru wagon.

Wood swerved the wagon at the last minute, putting himself between the oncoming truck and his pregnant wife. That last minute act of heroism cost Wood his life, but saved the lives of his wife and unborn child, police say.

Gamers around the world rallied to the cause, sending their well wishes, prayers and donations to the grieving widow, Erin Wood told Kotaku last night in an email. She said the unexpected kindness is helping ease the painful loss.

They've established a trust in Brian Wood's name and are collecting donations to help his wife and unborn child: The Brian Wood Memorial Trust.

Erin Wood writes:

Quote :
Brian always told me about how close-knit and wonderful the video game community was, but I had no idea until this tragedy just how special a group it really is. From all the articles and comments, to the emails and donations, I am simply stunned and so touched by the love, kindness, and generosity shown to me and my family. As everyone knows, the last 10 days have been the most difficult, dark days of my life. But this journey has been eased tremendously by the thoughts, prayers, and well wishes received from friends, family, and strangers living all over the world.

This is a tragic story. But a man made the ultimate sacrifice to protect his wife and child, and the people who loved that man's work are paying him back by reaching out to the family he left behind. If only more tragedies could have an ending like this.
Back to top Go down

Video game community unites to help game designer's wife and child
Page 1 of 1