Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Godawful Adaptations

Go down 
+17
InkWeaver
Rabid Badger
Mikey Go WOOGA
Blooferlady
Lurv
myeerah
Penguin
Miss Misery
EileenK98
Gamma Vector
Cyberwulf
Ozymandias
Dr. Quinzel
Sheba
Reepicheep-chan
Lady Anne
Tungsten Monk
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

Godawful Adaptations Empty
PostSubject: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 10:16 pm

Yeah, I like G.I. Joe. Every now and then you need to unwind with an unambiguous story of good and evil, especially if it's got ninjas and snarky redheads in it. I did not like G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra. In fact, I didn't like it so much that I actually wrote papers on adaptation theory for my film class specifically laying out why it sucked. (Aced the class.) But the issue of crappy film adaptations is hardly confined to one ninja-intensive franchise.

For example, I recently saw the film version of Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief. It's the first in a series of young adult novels featuring the offspring of the Greek gods, with the central premise being that if the gods sired bastards all over the place in the ancient world, they sure as hell wouldn't stop just because it's modern times now. The Percy Jackson series displays a pretty good knowledge of Greek mythology, right down to the gods being power-hungry jackasses and Tartarus being number one on the list of places you do NOT want to be. The film adaptation, however, is . . . bleh.

It started out not bad, I thought. They had to compress the book's timeline somewhat, but that's understandable; you've only got so much screentime, and a few things can stand to be cut down a bit. The further it went, though, the more "WTF?" I encountered. By the time I got to Steve Coogan as Hades, I was pretty much done with it.

(Digression and spoilers below)

Spoiler:

So what about you guys? What are your favorite examples of "good book/comic/song/myth/idea, bad movie"?
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 10:49 pm

I love Batman comics, but the movie 'Batman and Robin' sucked. So did 'Batman Forever', though not as badly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 12:14 pm

^ Lol, but not all Batman comics are good either. Hundreds of them are just shitty.
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 1:10 pm

*cough* Riddler's Romance *cough*
Back to top Go down
Sheba
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sheba

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 1:10 pm

Having read and loved Hannibal, I was beyond pissed at how the filmakers butchered it. Oh, also Red Dragon--or should I say, Manhunter?

Godawful Adaptations 724940
Back to top Go down
Dr. Quinzel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Dr. Quinzel

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 1:49 pm

...Yeah, I shouldn't really have to add why. Godawful Adaptations 724940
Back to top Go down
Ozymandias

Ozymandias

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 2:53 pm

The Talented Mr. Ripley. It looks more like the adaptation of a vague description of the first book somebody made to the scriptwriters- I could bet they hadn't even read it, mostly because of the blatant character rape. They killed the keys to Tom Ripley working as a protagonist, such as the remorselessness, lack of scruples whatsoever, "being a forgetable nobody" factor, and the sexual repression bording on asexuality, and butchered him into a brittle, depressed, unstable and blatantly gay Matt Damon who

Spoiler:

And speaking of film adaptations completely missing the point, The Neverending Story comes to mind. That's so not what the book is about.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 3:38 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
'Batman Forever'
Whenever I see that movie, I keep comparing Tommy Lee Jones' dancing, mugging Two-Face with Batman: The Animated Series' Two-Face.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when the live-action version of Two-Face is more cartoony than a literal cartoon Two-Face.
Back to top Go down
Gamma Vector

Gamma Vector

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 10:23 pm

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Old news, I know, but I still haven't forgiven them for it. The first two were brilliant, brilliant adaptations. Then the third movie came along, they got a new director and he apparently had a brain malfunction that caused him to shit all over everything. Seriously, any time you have to take plot content out in order to have time for your OH SO FUNNY GUYS joke scene, you are doin' it horribly, horribly rong.
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 7:57 am

How about Half-Blood Prince, where major plot details (like, oh, the explanation of who the half-blood Prince was) were dispensed with in order to focus on the romance. The problem is, they assume everyone's read the books and knows what's going on, which is fine if you have actually read the books, but if you haven't (or haven't in a while and forget the details), you won't have a clue.
Back to top Go down
Miss Misery
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Miss Misery

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 11:10 am

The 2004 version of Salem's Lot, anyone? They should have just called it Salem's Lot: In Name Only.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 11:36 am

Any time I hear "in name only" I think of Republicans, 1970s Battlestar Galactica fans, and No Mutants Allowed. Is that really the company you want to keep?
Back to top Go down
Gamma Vector

Gamma Vector

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 12:44 pm

EileenK98 wrote:
How about Half-Blood Prince, where major plot details (like, oh, the explanation of who the half-blood Prince was) were dispensed with in order to focus on the romance. The problem is, they assume everyone's read the books and knows what's going on, which is fine if you have actually read the books, but if you haven't (or haven't in a while and forget the details), you won't have a clue.

You know, I would have listed that one, but the book was such a shitstorm itself that even the shitty adaptation couldn't really make things worse.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Half-Blood Prince was Rowling's unfortunate dalliance with the CAPSLOCK key.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Penguin wrote:

I thought that was Order of the Phoenix?
Back to top Go down
Lurv
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lurv

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Gamma Vector wrote:
EileenK98 wrote:

You know, I would have listed that one, but the book was such a shitstorm itself that even the shitty adaptation couldn't really make things worse.
I wonder if they'll make Deathly Hallows better actually. Shouldn't be so hard...
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 2:50 pm

myeerah wrote:
Penguin wrote:

I thought that was Order of the Phoenix?

Naw, that's when she found out it existed.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 6:58 pm

A Kid in King Arthur's Court was (technically) supposed to be based on A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. However, aside from a slight resemblance between the titles, there was nothing in Kid that resembled the original work by Mark Twain.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Blooferlady
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Blooferlady

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:42 pm

Sheba wrote:
Having read and loved Hannibal, I was beyond pissed at how the filmakers butchered it. Oh, also Red Dragon--or should I say, Manhunter?

Godawful Adaptations 724940
Yes, thank you. Augh those movies.

I could rant a bit about all the Dracula movies and The Count of Monte Cristo movies for hours.
Back to top Go down
http://blooferblog.tumblr.com
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 11:28 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
'Batman Forever'
Whenever I see that movie, I keep comparing Tommy Lee Jones' dancing, mugging Two-Face with Batman: The Animated Series' Two-Face.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when the live-action version of Two-Face is more cartoony than a literal cartoon Two-Face.

Why does he knock the vase off of the table? It wasn't in the way or anything.

Poor vase. Godawful Adaptations 309696

ETA: The Count of Monte Cristo movie was good. I've never read the book, but fuck the book. Godawful Adaptations 588739
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 9:39 pm

The remake of 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.' There was a time I actually liked Johnny Depp (Benny and Joon is both funny and heartwarming), but turning him from Gene Wilder's sarcastic, genuinly sadistic, more than a bit mad genius into a pale, Gothic, misjunderstood little boy who just wanted to be loved was a an insult to the character and the book.

The man needs to get away from Tim Burton while he still has a career left.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 9:27 am

I liked Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and I feel that, as a standalone, left uncompared to the previous movie and appreciated for what it is, it's a good film.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 10:58 am

InkWeaver wrote:
I liked Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and I feel that, as a standalone, left uncompared to the previous movie and appreciated for what it is, it's a good film.
I like the way the children and parents were updated in the remake, and the visuals were fab. The rest was pretty whatever.
Back to top Go down
Gamma Vector

Gamma Vector

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 3:48 pm

Lurv wrote:
Gamma Vector wrote:
EileenK98 wrote:

I wonder if they'll make Deathly Hallows better actually. Shouldn't be so hard...

I'm not sure they can make it worse.
Back to top Go down
kleine_kat
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
kleine_kat

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 4:30 am

InkWeaver wrote:

If you leave it uncompared to the book, too, yeah, then it's a...stupid movie well done.

The Oompa-Loompas alone made me cringe. What's the whole thing with that single guy? Yes, I lolled the first time I saw 20 exactly similar tiny people, but by the time they started raping the songs, which were so cool in the book, for the sake of screen time for the Oompa-Loompa dance...ugh.

And what's with Wonka's 'Tortured Past' wank? It didn't add anything but a feeling of replacement shame and awkwardness.

So maybe that's a personal thing, but Willy Wonka the sadistic genius stands a long way removed from Willy Wonka the Micahel Jackson clone with childhood issues, and I hated Depp's version.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Godawful Adaptations   Godawful Adaptations Empty

Back to top Go down

Godawful Adaptations
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next