Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fox News does it again

Go down 
+17
Verandering
Mikey Go WOOGA
Braigwen
Rabid Badger
InkWeaver
Chaltab
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
jizzum
Seule
grmblfjx
bleachedblackcat
Jesus.
Mafiosa
rachel
Somath Cegem
Miss Prince
ZoZo
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

Fox News does it again - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fox News does it again   Fox News does it again - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 12:35 pm

Braigwen wrote:
Rabid Badger wrote:
Having just recently watched 'Precious,' I love how the mother refuses to believe that her stepfather could've possibly been the one who raped her. Roughly 85-90% of young children in America who are raped and/or sexually abused, the act is perpetrated by a family member (father, stepfather, mother's boyfriend, brother, uncle) or a neighbor the family knows and trusts. Less than 5-10% are done by the 'stranger with candy' that we keep warning our kids about.
So, basically this little girl's mother is calling her a slut too? This kid has two strikes against her already and she's only 11. Who knows what kind of stigma her kid will have on him or her. Both will probably be treated like shit from now on because the Step-Father will accuse her of tempting him.
The step-father is in police custody, and by all accounts is no longer in the picture. And no, her mother is not calling her a slut. I think you've mixed up the mother in the movie Precious with the mother of this girl (whose name is Quintana Roo, I believe). Quintana's mother is the one that reported the assault to the cops (CNN, half-ish of the way down). Someone with better Spanish-reading skills than me might be able to get some relevant information from this article, as well.

EDIT: Double-checked the FOX article to be sure I didn't miss anything.

Quote :
The mother had a nervous breakdown and demanded her daughter tell her what happened, Mancera said. Finally, the girl said her stepfather had raped her. The mother flew into a fit of rage and went directly to the police to the report the rape, and the stepfather was arrested. He remains in jail.

Assuming she wasn't raging at the girl, this sounds like as normal a reaction as anyone could have when confronted with this sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Fox News does it again   Fox News does it again - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Less concern about the future and more concern about the present for a moment: Can her body even support a pregnancy yet? An eleven-year-old can have a period, yes, and obviously get pregnant. But can her body even support that pregnancy and birth without a helluva lot of damage?
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Fox News does it again   Fox News does it again - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 3:17 pm

KelinciHutan wrote:
The step-father is in police custody, and by all accounts is no longer in the picture. And no, her mother is not calling her a slut.
It's good she believed her over the rape, but what about this?

Quote :
(Mancera says the mother still doubts whether her husband is the unborn child’s father — something that will be sorted out when DNA testing is done after the baby’s birth.)
...implying the mother suspects her ten year old daughter of having been raped by other men. There's nothing in the article to suggest the mother had reason to believe in abuse elsewhere, so the logical conclusion to reach is that the mother may be slut shaming her eleven year old daughter.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Fox News does it again   Fox News does it again - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 6:08 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
Having just recently watched 'Precious,' I love how the mother refuses to believe that her stepfather could've possibly been the one who raped her. Roughly 85-90% of young children in America who are raped and/or sexually abused, the act is perpetrated by a family member (father, stepfather, mother's boyfriend, brother, uncle) or a neighbor the family knows and trusts. Less than 5-10% are done by the 'stranger with candy' that we keep warning our kids about.
Think about it for a minute, RB. There's a reason that child molesters manoevre themselves into positions where they have easy access to children...and work the parents/guardians of their targets, too. It's a horrifying thought that someone you let into your life and trusted with your child abused and raped that child. It's much more comforting for a parent/guardian to convince themselves that the child is mistaken or pretending or repeating something they saw on television.

Mafiosa wrote:
Sorry your colon is so weak it can't handle the awesome power of gorditas.
Now all I can think of is Cartman talking about how Chipotle-Away made his life so much better with its awesome power to get bloodstains out of underwear.

ZoZo wrote:

Quote :
(Mancera says the mother still doubts whether her husband is the unborn child’s father — something that will be sorted out when DNA testing is done after the baby’s birth.)
...implying the mother suspects her ten year old daughter of having been raped by other men. There's nothing in the article to suggest the mother had reason to believe in abuse elsewhere, so the logical conclusion to reach is that the mother may be slut shaming her eleven year old daughter.
...you're seriously looking for logic in an article that puts rape in inverted commas?

It sounds to me that the mother may have doubts that her husband (the man who, after all, she trusted with her children - imagine the terrible guilt she must feel right now) is the rapist, not that she's casting her daughter as a little whore spreading her legs for all and sundry.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Fox News does it again   Fox News does it again - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 6:23 pm

Quote :
It's a horrifying thought that someone you let into your life and trusted with your child abused and raped that child. It's much more comforting for a parent/guardian to convince themselves that the child is mistaken or pretending or repeating something they saw on television.

This is a lame comment, but there's a pretty decent manga called "Bitter Virgin" that pretty much plays out this exact scenario. Girl is repeatedly sexually abused by her mom's boyfriend (who makes the mom happier than she's been in years) to the point she is physically injured, she tries to tell her mother after it is discovered she miscarried, mother accuses her of lying about who the father is and inadvertently leaves her daughter in more danger.

It's a good read iirc, it focuses more on overcoming the trauma than the rapes and ends on a bittersweet note.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Fox News does it again   Fox News does it again - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 6:30 pm

KelinciHutan wrote:

Quote :
The mother had a nervous breakdown and demanded her daughter tell her what happened, Mancera said. Finally, the girl said her stepfather had raped her. The mother flew into a fit of rage and went directly to the police to the report the rape, and the stepfather was arrested. He remains in jail.

Assuming she wasn't raging at the girl, this sounds like as normal a reaction as anyone could have when confronted with this sort of thing.

I stand corrected. Kudos for the mother.
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: Fox News does it again   Fox News does it again - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
ZoZo wrote:

Quote :
...you're seriously looking for logic in an article that puts rape in inverted commas?

It sounds to me that the mother may have doubts that her husband (the man who, after all, she trusted with her children - imagine the terrible guilt she must feel right now) is the rapist, not that she's casting her daughter as a little whore spreading her legs for all and sundry.
I really have to agree. Her daughter told her that her husband raped her and she's pregnant. That's just a hell of a thing to take in. This woman went straight to the police and has backed Quintana up the whole way. Her husband is now in prison, and--assuming that quote is correct--I would imagine she is hoping that somehow there's been some horrible, horrible mistake that would mean that the man she trusted with her life didn't violate her trust and her daughter the way that he did. Bear in mind also that the woman being quoted is not Quintana or her mother, but someone those two ostensibly feel very much at odds with at the moment. I am not saying that she's lying, but it's hardly unthinkable that she got distorted information through entirely innocent means. Even assuming she is correct, what else should Quintana's mother be hoping for? That her husband did rape her daughter?

Good grief. I can not believe some of what I just typed. What a horrible thing to deal with. Quintana's medical care is being taken care of on the government's peso, but that is such cold comfort. Poor girl.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Fox News does it again   Fox News does it again - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 11:00 pm

Kelly wrote:
And no, her mother is not calling her a slut. I think you've mixed up the mother in the movie Precious with the mother of this girl (whose name is Quintana Roo, I believe).

Please tell me her mother's name is Kanga.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fox News does it again   Fox News does it again - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fox News does it again
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2