Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tall ships 'fans'

Go down 
+4
Cactus Wren
Spotts1701
Miss Prince
Khajidu
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Khajidu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Khajidu

Location : on a tall ship far away from the bullshit, on the port side of course

Tall ships 'fans' Empty
PostSubject: Tall ships 'fans'   Tall ships 'fans' EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 11:39 am

First, an introduction. I'm a HUGE fan of tall ships (hence my avatar). I know quite a bit about them and I put sentient tall ships in my fantasy stories as characters.
Once, I met with a fan club. Well, more serious than a fan club, because they're my home country's branch of the organization of the races the ships race every year. This club is mostly in charge of helping members find cruises on tall ships at lower prices and that's how I started sailing on tall ships (this will be the 4th time and my 5th ship this summer. My avatar was 2 years ago).
Most people, including the president and the other people in charge, are pretty decent, and I get along with them very well. The people meet every month or so and I have interesting conversations with them. My main concern is with 1 or 2 people (among the 20-25 I know), who are regular comers (Some other people also have concerns with them, for different reasons). Although they're pretty much as nice as the other members, they have pretty strong ideas about what a ship should look like.
For example, this one:
Spoiler:
This ship is supposed to be ugly because she has a square rear and looks too modern. For my part, I don't see anything wrong with this.
Some other ships also get the same treatment because they have parts that look too modern, according to them. Even if the ship is beautiful overall. ('Oh, no, I don't like (insert part here) because it's too big and modern-looking and it makes the ship ugly' 'Well, I admit it's not her most beautiful part, but overall the ship is quite nice' 'OMG no wai this part is too ugly' 'Whatever')

(On the other hand, they're better fans of this one:
Spoiler:
than me. Most people think she's the most beautiful ship in the world. I think she would be a little bit too much on the fat side to qualify (and it prevents her from being anything short of very slow), and I found better candidates (see my avatar).)

Thoughts? Am I exaggerating?

OK, I'm as opinionated as the 'fans' depicted here (although I mostly kept it for myself until now), and I'm aware that the thread might get wanky because of that. In this case, feel free to say so.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

Tall ships 'fans' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tall ships 'fans'   Tall ships 'fans' EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 11:45 am

It's been a while since we had ship wank.
Back to top Go down
Khajidu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Khajidu

Location : on a tall ship far away from the bullshit, on the port side of course

Tall ships 'fans' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tall ships 'fans'   Tall ships 'fans' EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 11:48 am

I knew somebody would make that joke.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

Tall ships 'fans' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tall ships 'fans'   Tall ships 'fans' EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 11:48 am

Miss Prince wrote:
It's been a while since we had ship wank.

*hits gong*
Back to top Go down
Cactus Wren
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Cactus Wren

Tall ships 'fans' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tall ships 'fans'   Tall ships 'fans' EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 4:29 am

This isn't my field, but I suppose the question is: are these intended to be accurate reconstructions of period craft? The first ship does look more "modern", but that's only saying that it looks like a modern-day tall ship as distinguished from an eighteenth- or nineteenth-century tall ship. The second definitely has a more archaic look, as far as I can tell (the photo isn't of the best: the building in the background is distracting).
Back to top Go down
Shisaiga
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Shisaiga

Tall ships 'fans' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tall ships 'fans'   Tall ships 'fans' EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 4:45 am

So what is the problem with some people saying that a ship looks ugly or modern? Unless they are talking about doing something extreme about it, it's really not bad enough to be here.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

Tall ships 'fans' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tall ships 'fans'   Tall ships 'fans' EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 5:32 am

Hmph.
Back to top Go down
Princess
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Princess

Tall ships 'fans' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tall ships 'fans'   Tall ships 'fans' EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:55 am

I was expecting some sort of sexualization of sail-based craft. I cannot say I was disappointed by the truth.
Back to top Go down
Khajidu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Khajidu

Tall ships 'fans' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tall ships 'fans'   Tall ships 'fans' EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:14 am

Shisaiga: True. I posted anyway because I was getting more and more frustrated with this attitude, although it wouldn't be so extreme to most people. The strangest thing is that the person who has the strongest attitude is also a hardcore fan of another tall ship (she spends all her holidays on that ship).

Cactus: Most are modern tall ships but most don't look as modern as the one I displayed. Some, including the other one, are built after earlier models (although this example was built in the early 30s... after an early 19th century model. The first ship on my OP was built in the late 80s).

Penguin: I heard about these, but have never seen them.

Princess: LOL
Back to top Go down
Khajidu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Khajidu

Tall ships 'fans' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tall ships 'fans'   Tall ships 'fans' EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 1:31 pm

HAHAHA SHIP WANK IS BACK
I sailed with teens on tall ship Sorlandet, a Norwegian sailing ship. As I hadn't had the chance yet to get this ship's outfit, I was wearing some of another Norwegian tall ship I sailed on last year, Christian Radich. However, these two guys always competing in races, the teens got me a bad name. They also said Christian Radich was a 'bad ship' because they 'cheated'. (They gave me specifics, which people on Christian Radich denied, and I was more inclined to believe people on Christian Radich.). Another thing: Sorlandet wasn't selling its outfit anymore, so I was stuck with Christian Radich outfit FOR TWO WHOLE WEEKS. BAD ME.
OK, it was only the teens. All adults wiewed this as friendly competition, nothing more, like I did, although some also (I hope unwillingly) encouraged the teens by saying things like 'oh the enemy' or 'drop that shirt, we'll get bad luck... no, kidding'. (Well, I also got the OMG YOU'RE ALSO A FAN OF STATSRAAD LEHMKUHL (another Norwegian ship in friendly competition with the other two) BAD YOU BAD YOU BAD YOU from one adult on I don't remember which ship. Too bad, because Lehmkuhl was my favorite (see my avatar). And I told him so and also that I didn't effing care.).
Well, we finally scored third. BEHIND LEHMKUHL AND RADICH. EAT THAT MOTHERFUCKERS.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

Tall ships 'fans' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tall ships 'fans'   Tall ships 'fans' EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 2:54 am

Wait. So, you showed up to a competition as part of a team, while wearing an opposing team's uniform, and were surprised that people gave you shit?
Back to top Go down
Khajidu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Khajidu

Tall ships 'fans' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tall ships 'fans'   Tall ships 'fans' EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 12:17 pm

Well, the team in question didn't provide anything. So I was stuck with whatever I brought. (I only meant it as a placeholder until I got the right team's outfit, hopefully before the race started. No luck.)
The other team was OK with people wearing outfits of opposing teams at first last year, as THEY provided outfits, that people immediately got and wore as soon as they got the occasion. I wasn't given the chance this year.
In fact, I wasn't that surprised that I got shit, and felt bad for not having anything more appropriate. What I was upset with is the way they talked down about the other team, calling them morons and cheaters, whereas I knew them as pretty nice people overall.
I'll be running for the third team next year, and I already have their outfit. Nobody will be able to get me. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Da_Nuke

Tall ships 'fans' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tall ships 'fans'   Tall ships 'fans' EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:26 pm

I'm sort of like you. I'm a railfan and I prefer ten thousand times a supermodern speeding TGV than an old steam engine.

Some fandoms have weird criteria for quality. I say this is fucking stupid and you have the right to like whatever floats your boat ( :3 ).
Back to top Go down
Khajidu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Khajidu

Tall ships 'fans' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tall ships 'fans'   Tall ships 'fans' EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:29 am

I don't like ships only for their speed (although it helps) and I didn't hate Sorlandet. In fact, I like all three. I didn't have the occasion to buy anything from my own ship, and I was wearing whatever I had: an outfit from another ship I liked.

tl;dr: thank you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tall ships 'fans' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tall ships 'fans'   Tall ships 'fans' Empty

Back to top Go down

Tall ships 'fans'
Page 1 of 1