Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Woman strangled to death by her headscarf

Go down 
+13
kuroineko
InkWeaver
Jesus.
Ezri Dax
Miss Prince
Mafiosa
Mikey Go WOOGA
Malganis
Lady Anne
Penguin
Dick Powers
The Unoriginal
Raine
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

Woman strangled to death by her headscarf - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Woman strangled to death by her headscarf   Woman strangled to death by her headscarf - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 8:15 am

Jay/Cris wrote:

To be fair, she wouldn't have had this problem if she had been wearing a bhurka.

It's possible she would. A part of the headpiece could have flapped into the kart and she could have gotten head injuries if you took the worst-case scenario.

Also, seeing a woman wearing a proper burqa in Australia is quite uncommon. The majority of the community tend to go low-key with simple headscarves.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Woman strangled to death by her headscarf   Woman strangled to death by her headscarf - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 8:17 am

Penguin wrote:
Jay/Cris wrote:
To be fair, she wouldn't have had this problem if she had been wearing a bhurka.

Actually, I'd say a burkha would dramatically increase the chances of serious injury and death around machinery. There's so much more cloth to catch on something.

There is a reason why people who go carting often wear those daft racing suits, and it's not a fashion statement, heath and safety and religious dress tend not to mix.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Woman strangled to death by her headscarf   Woman strangled to death by her headscarf - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 8:20 am

Unless you're into actual kart racing, wearing a racing suit to a go kart track is just cosplaying the Stig.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Woman strangled to death by her headscarf   Woman strangled to death by her headscarf - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 8:23 am

Penguin wrote:
Unless you're into actual kart racing, wearing a racing suit to a go kart track is just cosplaying the Stig.

Those are the people I ment!
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Woman strangled to death by her headscarf   Woman strangled to death by her headscarf - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 8:25 am

Fair enough. It's just the idea of someone showing up in full racing regalia to a tourist trap kart track with 15MPH governors on all the karts just makes me laugh.
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: Woman strangled to death by her headscarf   Woman strangled to death by her headscarf - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 8:26 am

Hm, maybe it's because I grew up with around pretty progressive Muslims, but their hijabs were always pretty short (the cloth ended on the shoulders) and well-secured with pins etc, also so it wouldn't fly off in a breeze etc. I never saw any piece of cloth hang out so far from one of my friends' headscarves that it could have been caught on anything.

In short, I don't think taking the headscarf off or avoiding go-carts altogether are the only options here; taking a few minutes before getting on the cart to fasten it more securely could have saved her life here.

Then again, people don't tend to think about this kind of thing when they're having fun, which makes this incident so tragic.
Back to top Go down
http://diva-urd.livejournal.com/
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Woman strangled to death by her headscarf   Woman strangled to death by her headscarf - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 9:31 am

Well, she could have been wearing a long one. There's a girl in one of my classes who wears long, pretty, sparkly ones that sometime reach the small of her back.
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: Woman strangled to death by her headscarf   Woman strangled to death by her headscarf - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 10:10 am

Lapin wrote:
Well, she could have been wearing a long one. There's a girl in one of my classes who wears long, pretty, sparkly ones that sometime reach the small of her back.

True, but it would have been possible to find a rest room for some privacy and adjust it so it's out of the way - tuck the back into the collar of whatever jacket or top she was wearing, completely rewrap it in a more compact style (I've been told there are various ways to fasten it, most Muslim girls I knew had at least three different ways - I know, anecdotal evidence, but seriously, you can cover your hair without cloth flapping everywhere)... The point being that the dichotomy that has been argued about in this thread - wearing religious garb vs. operating machinery - does not exhaust the possibilities.
Back to top Go down
http://diva-urd.livejournal.com/
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Woman strangled to death by her headscarf   Woman strangled to death by her headscarf - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:11 am

Penguin wrote:
Jay/Cris wrote:

Actually, I'd say a burkha would dramatically increase the chances of serious injury and death around machinery. There's so much more cloth to catch on something.

Around machinery in general, yes, but in a go-kart as well? I mean, check it out:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The cloth is substantial, but all in one piece, so if there's anything flapping around, it's bound to be the hem, yeah? Since she is in a go-kart, she's sitting down, pinning much of it down, already decreasing the amount of flapping goin' on - I think it's comparable to, say, go-karting in a long dress. Not that I would particularly recommend that, either, but I think a bit of flapping at the legs is less dangerous than something long and flowy blowing around and getting wound up in spinning tires and dangerous car-engine-bits. A burkha is less likely to come loose than a headscarf, after all.
(I can see how a burkha like this would be a bit tricky with the steering, though.)

Raine wrote:
It's possible she would. A part of the headpiece could have flapped into the kart and she could have gotten head injuries if you took the worst-case scenario.

Most burkhas I know - personal experience, mind, nothing backed up by facts - are one-piece, hem reaching to the ground. They remind me of tableclothss: there's no headpiece, just a full-bodypiece.

Raine wrote:
Also, seeing a woman wearing a proper burqa in Australia is quite uncommon. The majority of the community tend to go low-key with simple headscarves.

I was trying to undermine the point that this poor girl's death was caused by her being a muslim, rather than by wearing a very unfortunate piece of clothing. Or, as Saleha more eloquently put it: "The point being that the dichotomy that has been argued about in this thread - wearing religious garb vs. operating machinery - does not exhaust the possibilities."
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Woman strangled to death by her headscarf   Woman strangled to death by her headscarf - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:26 am

It's not about "billowing in the wind" although that just adds to the problem. A lot of loose fabric can wind up anywhere, and it doesn't have to be the end of the fabric to get caught. Besides, the whole point of the garment is to make women as shapeless, anonymous and unfeminine as possible, and this is accomplished with a lot of billowing fabric. About the only saving grace to wearing a burkha is that it doesn't seem to have much of a way of yanking the body along with it when it gets caught in something.

Also a woman that was a member of a part of Islam that thinks burkhas are pretty neat would probably be far more likely to die horrifically from other things than freak accidents.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Woman strangled to death by her headscarf   Woman strangled to death by her headscarf - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Woman strangled to death by her headscarf
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2