Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart

Go down 
+14
ZoZo
Mafiosa
rachel
Mikey Go WOOGA
lemmingwriter
grmblfjx
The Unoriginal
Lady Anne
TheHermit
Reepicheep-chan
Knight
EileenK98
Jesus.
DarthDarthington
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DarthDarthington
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
DarthDarthington

Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart Empty
PostSubject: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 8:30 pm

A Michigan Wal-Mart's 2008 Associate-of-the-Year, who smokes legally-prescribed medical marijuana for his sinus cancer and inoperable brain tumor, was fired after weed shockingly came up in a drug test and the corporation told him they "do not accept or honor" his medical marijuana card.

Quote :
BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (WZZM) - Now that medical marijuana is legal in Michigan, can an employer fire a worker who tests positive for the drug?

WalMart says it can, so it did. "I was terminated because I failed a drug screening," says former WalMart employee Joseph Casias.

In 2008, Casias was the Associate Of The Year at the WalMart store in Battle Creek, despite suffering from sinus cancer and an inoperable brain tumor

At his doctor's recommendation, Casias says he legally uses medical marijuana to ease his pain.

"It helps tremendously," he says. "I only use it to stop the pain. To make me feel more comfortable and active as a person."

During his five years at WalMart, Casias says he went to work every day, determined to be the best.

"I gave them everything," he says. "110 percent every day. Anything they asked me to do I did. More than they asked me to do. 12 to 14 hours a day."

But last November, Casias sprained his knee at work. Marijuana was detected in his system during the routine drug screening that follows all workplace injuries. Casias showed WalMart managers his state medical marijuana card, but he was fired anyway.

"I was told they do not accept or honor my medical marijuana card," says Casias.

In an e-mail from headquarters, WalMart spokesman Greg Rossiter explained the company policy. It states: "In states, such as Michigan, where prescriptions for marijuana can be obtained, an employer can still enforce a policy that requires termination of employment following a positive drug screen. We believe our policy complies with the law and we support decisions based on the policy."

Casias says he never used marijuana before work.

"No, I never came to work under the influence, never," he says. "I don't think it's fair. Because I have a medical condition I can't work and provide for my family?"

Casias has been collecting unemployment compensation since he was fired in November but this week he says he was notified WalMart is challenging his eligibility for benefits.

"It's not fair," he says.

Oh, Wal-Mart...
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 8:52 pm

Quote :
Oh, Wal-Mart...
I was about to say that. Because thats all I got.
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 8:54 pm

Another reason not to shop at fucking Wal-Mart. Like I needed one.
Back to top Go down
Knight
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 11:16 pm

Technically, Michigan is an state where all employment is at will. This means that any employer can at any time fire somebody for any or no reason.

Yes it is a shitty thing that they fired this guy for taking his medicine, but at the same time they are fully within their rights to fire him for any reason they want.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 11:32 pm

Knight wrote:
Technically, Michigan is an state where all employment is at will. This means that any employer can at any time fire somebody for any or no reason.

Yes it is a shitty thing that they fired this guy for taking his medicine, but at the same time they are fully within their rights to fire him for any reason they want.

Am I the only one who thinks that is dumb as shit?
Back to top Go down
Knight
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 11:47 pm

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
Knight wrote:

Nah, I think it's stupid as hell myself, but that's the way it is in many states in the US. Basically unless you can absolutely prove that they fired you for a certain reason that qualifies as discrimination, then there's nothing that can be done about it.

Also, it is worth keeping in mind that while medical marijuana may be legal in the state of Michigan it is still illegal on a federal level, and I doubt Wal-Mart is going to make a different contract in the few states that have legalized medical marijuana. So even though the man was simply taking medicine, and doing so to make his life more bearable, he was probably still in violation of his employment contract.
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 8:05 am

The class war ended a long time ago. We lost.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 9:08 am

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
Knight wrote:

Nope. That makes about as much sense as firing someone for taking legally prescribed painkillers.

Edit: Am I the only one who thinks WalMart saw a golden opportunity to try to prevent employees from filing Workman's Comp claims?
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 1:58 pm

This sucks. I can understand Wal-Mart's reasoning, but I do not condone it. Unfortunately that's the way it goes in retail it seems.
Where my husband works, a guy in the butchery asked the manager whether he could take the off meat for the local animal shelter. The boss said yes. They caught the guy with a bagful of meat and fired him. The manager intervened saying he had given the authorisation and they fired him as well.
Another guy was fired because he found outside the store a voucher of lunch leaflets and tossed them in the bin.
Given that they have no real production quotas to reach, managers are considered efficient when they manage to run their department smoothly in spite of a severe understaffing. It's the American way, and it has reached Europe, too.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Nihilist wrote:
If this was a zero-tolerance policy, doing that would risk me my own job, but personally, I prefer doing the right thing as opposed to "the law states we should do this", especially in situations like these. But then, nobody ever said I was particularly smart.

Not arguing this particular case, but in general- that's easy to say (and maybe even to act on) when you're young, single and bouncing from job to job anyway. Imagine there's a wife in the mix, children, maybe a mortgage. Eating Ramen for weeks on end may be feasible for you, personally, but not for your toddlers.
I would like to believe I'd always act according to what I believe is right, but I think sometimes it's not that easy.

PS Darth, is that Mr Morden?
Back to top Go down
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
Reepicheep-chan wrote:
Knight wrote:

Nope. That makes about as much sense as firing someone for taking legally prescribed painkillers.

And they could probably fire that someone as well if they came up positive in a drug test at a zero-tolerance company. I can think of a couple places around here that are like that. Might not be a universal thing, but yeah, it exists.
Back to top Go down
DarthDarthington
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
DarthDarthington

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 4:50 pm

grmblfjx wrote:

Why yes, yes it is. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 7:16 pm

Anne wrote:
Edit: Am I the only one who thinks WalMart
saw a golden opportunity to try to prevent employees from filing
Workman's Comp claims?

Oh no, I'm SURE the CEO noticed that someone was about to possibly cost Wal Mart $100 a month in medical marijuana expenses and decided to have him fired. Colbert

Also, I thought workman's comp was typically only for injuries and diseases suffered because of the job. Like, if this dude was doing whatever it is he did and that directly led to him breaking his leg or whatever, it'd be applicable. But if he just develops cancer on his own time, it's none of the employer's problem.

I thought that was why it was WORKMAN's comp. If it was just for anything that happened to you, it'd be called comp.
Back to top Go down
rachel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
rachel

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 8:13 pm

DarthDarthington wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:

And no pike? Tsk, tsk. I thought that was his best look.
Back to top Go down
DarthDarthington
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
DarthDarthington

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 9:04 pm

rachel wrote:
DarthDarthington wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:

Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 9:31 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Anne wrote:
Workman's Comp claims?

Oh no, I'm SURE the CEO noticed that someone was about to possibly cost Wal Mart $100 a month in medical marijuana expenses and decided to have him fired. Colbert

Also, I thought workman's comp was typically only for injuries and diseases suffered because of the job. Like, if this dude was doing whatever it is he did and that directly led to him breaking his leg or whatever, it'd be applicable. But if he just develops cancer on his own time, it's none of the employer's problem.

I thought that was why it was WORKMAN's comp. If it was just for anything that happened to you, it'd be called comp.
He sprained his knee at work. That was what the Workman's Comp claim was over.
Back to top Go down
rachel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
rachel

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 9:43 pm

DarthDarthington wrote:
rachel wrote:
DarthDarthington wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:

And Vir Cotto agrees!
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 9:52 pm

Knight wrote:
Reepicheep-chan wrote:
Knight wrote:

Nah, I think it's stupid as hell myself, but that's the way it is in many states in the US. Basically unless you can absolutely prove that they fired you for a certain reason that qualifies as discrimination, then there's nothing that can be done about it.

Also, it is worth keeping in mind that while medical marijuana may be legal in the state of Michigan it is still illegal on a federal level, and I doubt Wal-Mart is going to make a different contract in the few states that have legalized medical marijuana. So even though the man was simply taking medicine, and doing so to make his life more bearable, he was probably still in violation of his employment contract.

Nevada is a right to work state. Imagine working every day at your shitty, dead-end retail job knowing that at any moment the manager who doesn't like you personally can fire your miserable ass without any real reason.

BLUH
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 11:05 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Anne wrote:
Workman's Comp claims?

Ah. What does a sprained knee cost to repair? A $15 brace from Wal Mart, periodic ice, and a week or two off of it.

That seems like an expense a company that makes billions would go out of their way to avoid. Colbert
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 11:59 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Anne wrote:
Workman's Comp claims?

Ah. What does a sprained knee cost to repair? A $15 brace from Wal Mart, periodic ice, and a week or two off of it.

That seems like an expense a company that makes billions would go out of their way to avoid. Colbert
You're right. They would.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 6:51 am

DarthDarthington wrote:
rachel wrote:
DarthDarthington wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:

Spoiler:
Why is there a picture of Susan Boyle here? scratch
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Anne wrote:
Workman's Comp claims?

You're right. They would.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Baron Chuddlington III

Baron Chuddlington III

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 12:56 am

I don't understand. Is it not the consensus of the medical profession that cocaine is the cure-all painkiller? Why would a real man choose anything less?
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 2:41 am

Baron Chuddlington III wrote:
I don't understand. Is it not the consensus of the medical profession that cocaine is the cure-all painkiller? Why would a real man choose anything less?
You're thinking of morphine, Baron, or it's non-addictive counterpart, heroin. Furthermore, our Empress and Queen, Victoria, uses the cannabis to alleviate the pains of her unspeakable revolting female thing.

P.S. I'm glad you're back. Been squashing rebellions in the Raj?
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 5:48 am

Whatever happened to good, old-fashioned laudenum?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart   Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart Empty

Back to top Go down

Who smokes the blunts? Not Wal-Mart
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next