Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart Empty
PostSubject: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Disclaimer: I know, I know, you are not supposed to draw on notebook paper. But you have to understand, I'm cheap and all my sketchbooks are full. And these notebooks are free as provided by the Uni. So... None of my part is professional or publishable, and I suck balls at photoshop and am too lazy to see if my scanner works, so it never really will be. I just thought I'd share my stuff. I try not to draw too anime-esque, but I learned to draw by tracing Yami Yugi out of magazines, so there you go.

So yeah, these are just my usual shits that I draw when I'm incredibly bored with no real outlet. Critique it as you see fit, but i'd like to see if this proves that I'm not a two-bit talentess hack.

So here's my "I can't pay attention in Women and Gender Studies" series, starting with my latest entry.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I attempted to PS this one. Dunno why.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

This is "I'm obsessed with Say Yes to the Dress, I think i'll mediocrely design some gowns for lulz" series.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

This is "Old shit I feel like sharing from high school or so" series.

(this picture was drawn in the back of a half page essay that I had just gotten back. it was photoshopped to blur out the words xD)
Spoiler:

This is one of the few with a reference.
Spoiler:

Two pictures of the same nekkid statue. so these have references too :D
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Aaaaaaand that is it. Do I know what has possessed me to share all my crap in one thread? No. Will I regret it? Probably. xD

So yeah. I felt like sharing. Whoo
Back to top Go down
Dick Powers
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Dick Powers

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 10:34 pm

On a technical level, you are good, but your anatomy just off. The heads and faces are squat and the neck is too long and fat compared to the head. The brow is too high and the nose doesn't connect to the bridge quit right and you have to remember that the nose is basically an isosceles triangle on your face.

I red-lined one of your doodles, hope you don't mind that shitty work I did. I'm not very good at drawing with a mouse.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 10:46 pm

Thanks for the redline. I always worry that the necks I draw are too skinny, really. Thats interesting. Thanks for the input. :D
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 11:42 pm

Chose the most recent entry to poke around with. I numbered the problem areas that I could see.

WHOA LOOKIT DAT SHAKY REDLINE

1. This is the one that stood out the most to me. The ear is placed too high on the head. A neat trick to remember where and how the ears are placed is to look at 1. The top guideline for the eyes and 2. the nose eyeline. Your ears should lie between those two.
2. I don't know if it's just my shitty redline, but the nose is just a teeney bit off. I think even perspective wise it's a bit crooked and needs to lie more in the middle and face the "viewer" more.
3. My redline shows how the skull sits on a normal human head. We don't notice it because of out hair but skulls stick out quite a bit in the back and the neck has to support that weight. I tried to draw it the best I could in the way it would be.
4. Eyebrows too big for eyes, but it could be a character trait too. The "wrapping around the face" looks weird to me, but I'm not sure how to fix that.

Anyone with real artistic background can come and tell me I'm full of it because I seriously hardly have an idea what I'm doing either.
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 11:51 pm

Thanks for the redline as well. i was told though that the ears fall between the bottom of the nose and the top of the eyebrow. Though in general, though I try to adhere to that, and obviously haven't here, I tend to draw long noses and low mouth/jaw features, so thats not always the case. The noses are always a thing for me. But I figured it gave more structure to the face if i contoured her nose to have a long straight bridge. but youre right, its not really facing where it should. And the neck should reflect the skull. I got shiz to work on xD

And I'm totally experimenting with thicker brows. Since I myself struggle with them (GROW BACK YOU FUCKERS GROW) I want to see what it can do for a face to have thick full brows, and if I can do it without giving my girls a serious case of manface. I've gone through so many sketches where they all just had some serious manface, and if I couldn't fix that without narrowing the brows, I just went "fuck that shit" and tossed em.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 11:57 pm

Quote :
i was told though that the ears fall between the bottom of the nose and the top of the eyebrow.

That's pretty accurate too, but you seem to be lining up where the ear meets the skull to the top eyebrow rather than the top of the ear to the top of the eyebrow.

Quote :
Since I myself struggle with them (GROW BACK YOU FUCKERS GROW)

Fuck I have huge brows and I draw a lot of mine thin. THE FUCKS UP WITH THAT

WE'RE BACKWARDS TWINS
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 12:01 am

Mafiosa wrote:
Quote :
i was told though that the ears fall between the bottom of the nose and the top of the eyebrow.

That's pretty accurate too, but you seem to be lining up where the ear meets the skull to the top eyebrow rather than the top of the ear to the top of the eyebrow.

Oh no, I will admit, I did it entirely wrong here. I wasn't paying attention to that at all. Plus, though I should have, I never studied the human skull. *shame*

Quote :
Quote :
Since I myself struggle with them (GROW BACK YOU FUCKERS GROW)

Fuck I have huge brows and I draw a lot of mine thin. THE FUCKS UP WITH THAT

WE'RE BACKWARDS TWINS
Actually, I used to draw all of mine thin. Now I want to see what a full brow with, you know, actual shape can do for the face. and to see if i have enough talent to keep their face ideals on track with just a few adjustments like thicker lips, fuller brows, etc. I best if I drew this latest one anatomically correct she'd be HAWT.
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 10:29 am

You're right. And it all makes perfect sense. Funnily enough I did actually have a class where we did human models, but that was mostly focused on body anatomy rather than face. And your redline is really good and I thank you, the only things that I will stick up for is the way I've lined her face and the eyebrows. The bags under the eyes and the nasolabial lines, etc were all on purpose- she is older (I was aiming for like 28- 35 or maybe a bit older) she's not supposed to look perfect, she is supposed to be kind of haggard and melancholy. Maybe not meth addict haggard, but just, you know, not doll faced porcelain- I had her in mind where she'd been through shit. And its my effort to try to make it look a bit more "realistic" by not ignoring that people have folds in their face.

And like I said to mafi, i'm experimenting with thicker brows because I did work with the stereotypical features (thin brows, small mouth, itty bitty nose, etc) when I was buying how to draw anime books and working from those- lately I'm trying to break out of that just to see if I CAN mix masculine with feminine features but still have the overall picture come out looking like the gender I'm looking to make it. I can't tell you how many drawings I've scrapped due to she-male and manface. Razz Not that theres anything wrong with that, but thats just not the look I'm trying to to achieve. But other than that, I do see your points about perspective and anatomical fail. Funnily enough, never really learned composition either. I hate to be a pain, but what exactly about that drawing stands out as too hard for the rest of the drawing? or was that just an example?

But yeah, i'm taking in everything. you know I never tried drawing Doctor who fanart? I should do that. :F Thats a good idea.

Oh, and she's not zelda. Or an elf. Just saying. xD
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 10:46 am

Nihilist wrote:
Jesus. wrote:
I hate to be a pain, but what exactly about that drawing stands out as too hard for the rest of the drawing? or was that just an example?

Was just an example of gestalt.
Got it. Thanks for the help. Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart 588739
Back to top Go down
Lurv
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lurv

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 1:52 pm

Hmm, I kinda like number 5. Smile

I'm not an expert myself, but maybe this can help.

Or
She looks a bit more standard now, I guess. I tried to keep the features the same, though.
Details can be tricky. Maybe it helps to start out with a "perfect" face, and then mess it up a little.

But yeah, drawing real people helps a lot. I wish I could find people who looked a lot like my own characters, so I could use them as reference.

(Well, I tried adding that line on the nose too. Imho it looks alright if it's subtle.)
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Lurv wrote:
[Pretty redlining]
She looks a bit more standard now, I guess. I tried to keep the features the same, though.
Details can be tricky. Maybe it helps to start out with a "perfect" face, and then mess it up a little.

But yeah, drawing real people helps a lot. I wish I could find people who looked a lot like my own characters, so I could use them as reference.

(Well, I tried adding that line on the nose too. Imho it looks alright if it's subtle.)
She does look more standard. And more anatomically correct. The only issue that I have is that maybe my vision is skewed, but she has kind of crossed the line from zelda to link, if you know what i mean. From female with a few masculine traits to sort of androgenously male. Although that probably has to do with how I view my drawings.

It is helpful, though. What seems to be my biggest problem is the length of the faces and the shape of the jaw/chin, both of which I'd probably pick up once I started drawing real people. And my perspective too, but that again comes with drawing stuff that is, I don't know, there. Razz Thanks for our redline.

Nihilist wrote:
Also, is there anyone on Dr. Who that's similar to the look you're going after? Because it would help to study the character to see what makes them look the age they do.
Nope, not really, but I'm sure drawing enough people would help to figure out the basic gist of how people age. Its hard to explain, but I've always had two characters in my head i could never perfect, and one I can just never get the face for at all. Never really seen anyone with the features I think that they have. They're sort of a mix of a whole host of different people I could think of, but still fundamentally different.

Wait, thats a good idea. Start drawing all the people I think have similar faces/features. Its genius! HAHAHAAAA*lightning flashes in background*

Man this place is useful.
Back to top Go down
Lurv
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lurv

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 3:59 pm

Jesus. wrote:
The only issue that I have is that maybe my vision is skewed, but she has kind of crossed the line from zelda to link, if you know what i mean. From female with a few masculine traits to sort of androgenously male.
I see what you mean, I'm glad it's helpful anyway.

Another thing that could help is trying to redline your own drawings, or something like that.
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Lurv wrote:
Jesus. wrote:
The only issue that I have is that maybe my vision is skewed, but she has kind of crossed the line from zelda to link, if you know what i mean. From female with a few masculine traits to sort of androgenously male.
I see what you mean, I'm glad it's helpful anyway.

Another thing that could help is trying to redline your own drawings, or something like that.
I don't really KNOW anatomy properly to redline my own stuff. To me it all looks *ok* just kinda off. So yeah xD
Back to top Go down
Carrion Crawler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Carrion Crawler

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 8:30 pm

*furiously taking notes*

*has close to no grasp of anatomy whatsoever*

Damn you, engineering school! My margin doodles could have been so much better!
Back to top Go down
Dick Powers
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Dick Powers

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 2:21 pm

Jesus, you should pick up this book called Drawing People by Barbara Bradley. It's really good.
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 4:29 pm

I'm not going to lie. I completely forgot about this thread (and consequently your advice, I will be getting to that at some point, I promise) but I drew an update of my first drawing. I aimed to get her proportions more in the correct spots, I have no idea if I've succeeded, but I also played with her features. Of course that probably means that she's more goofy looking, but what the hey. The more odd she looks, the better imo. I can make someone look perfectly female or perfectly male (actually, seeing as I started with anime, that's pretty debateable) but where's the fun in that? Razz

Old her:
Spoiler:

New her.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart   Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart Empty

Back to top Go down

Eh, why not. Let my non fanfic related stuff get ripped apart
Page 1 of 1