Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs

Go down 
+6
grmblfjx
Raine
Aggie
Adagio
Mikey Go WOOGA
Malganis
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs Empty
PostSubject: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:38 pm

This is just fucking sick.

Quote :
A 35-year-old Canadian who uses a wheelchair was beaten in Sydney, Australia, on Tuesday and is in hospital in serious condition, according to police reports.

Heath Proden is from Manitoba but has been in Sydney since November on an extended visit with his girlfriend.

He was waiting to catch a train at a city station at about 11 p.m. local time when he was approached and verbally attacked by two teenage boys, the New South Wales police said on their website. The physical attack that followed was recorded by security cameras at the station.

Police have charged two teenagers, aged 15 and 16, with armed robbery and attempt to cause bodily harm. Both have been denied bail.

After being confronted by the teens, Proden tried to leave the station via an elevator but was punched in the face by one of the boys and knocked from his chair, police said.

The teenagers allegedly then stomped on Proden and hit him on the head and body with metal bars, including one from his wheelchair.

The teens ran away with Proden's belongings and wheelchair, police said, but returned later — and repeatedly — to resume beating him.

Thankfully he's not brain-damaged and it looks like he'll recover. So why did these shitheads beat him up?

Quote :
The incident "appears to be a random act" and police have not determined a motive, police spokeswoman Joanne Elliott told CBC News. She said she'd never heard of an assault like this one.

"And I know that very, very experienced police who have worked in Sydney's western suburbs for 20 years … were absolutely appalled by what happened."

But according to freelance reporter Tim Stackpool, many in the community — about an hour's drive west of Sydney's famed beaches — say this type of beating "was destined to happen."

"The crime rate there has been going up and up and up and up," Stackpool told CBC News. "The police have been doing their utmost to keep it under control, but this is a place in Sydney where perhaps there is not a lot for the youth of the streets to … do. ..."

What? When the hell did this ever become an attempted rationalization for crime? You don't have something to do? Read a book, surf the Internet, go outside, get a hobby - hell, stay inside and masturbate all day. There's no rational justification for beating someone up because you don't have anything to do. These assholes did it because they were sadistic.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 1:02 am

Quote :

Police have charged two teenagers, aged 15 and 16, with armed robbery and attempt to cause bodily harm.

Attempt?

Is this just because they're too stupid to have a law against successfully causing bodily harm? Colbert
Back to top Go down
Adagio
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Adagio

PostSubject: Re: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 1:07 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Quote :

Police have charged two teenagers, aged 15 and 16, with armed robbery and attempt to cause bodily harm.

Attempt?

Is this just because they're too stupid to have a law against successfully causing bodily harm? Colbert

I think it's so they can charge people who only attempt but don't succeed, as well as people that do. (I mean, if you've succeeded you have to have attempted it, right?)

That aside, ugh. This... really makes me ashamed to share a generation with these sickos. (And I wonder what has to happen for someone so young to think something like this is okay, or justified.)
Back to top Go down
Aggie
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 1:50 am

You know, this never would have happened if Australia allowed disabled people to have spring-loaded guns Wii controllers in the arms of their wheelchairs. I'm just sayin'. . .
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 1:58 am

Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs 309696

Another reason for me to hate my country's youth.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 2:42 am

Malganis wrote:
What? When the hell did this ever become an attempted rationalization for crime? You don't have something to do? Read a book, surf the Internet, go outside, get a hobby - hell, stay inside and masturbate all day. There's no rational justification for beating someone up because you don't have anything to do. These assholes did it because they were sadistic.

I'm not arguing with you on "ffs do something else", but that is actually part of the problem. A large portion of violent crimes is committed by young males who have nothing to do and no perspective. "Nothing to do" meaning no job, no purpose, spending your life trying to kill time; not "hey I'm off all afternoon and I'm bored".

On a very vaguely related note, I just read something in the Economist about "gendercide"- how in some regions in son-preferring cultures there are ~140 boys born for 100 girls*. Worldwide, there are about 100 million girls missing. In China alone there are as many young men "surplus" as the entire young men population of the United States. In cultures where a person's social acceptance depends on their marrying and having a family (like China), imagine what that will do to their crime rate.

*I know the article I linked to says around 120. This is only the leader and not very detailed. In articles in the actual magazine they say that for third-born children in some regions the sex ratio is actually closer to 200.

Now, for a more related, but also depressing note, when I saw the title, I thought you meant the story where the two 13yo boys beat up an 83yo lady in Munich. Happened the other day as well.

Edit: I realized that saying "140 boys born for every 100 girls" sounds like this is just happening on its own. It's not. The natural rate is around 103, anything higher than 106 or so is not biologically possible.
These are abortions and WHOOPS STILLBORN LOOK AT THE UMBILICAL CORD AROUND ITS NECK HOW DID THAT HAPPEN and "what are you talking about, she wasn't pregnant".
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 3:27 am

Grumbles is pretty much correct with that statement. This is western Sydney they're talking about and youth crime in that area has been steadily on the rise for a couple decades now. But a lot of people in those areas simply have no hope, so those suburbs are rife with gang activity, low employment rates, and bad educational and governmental support. So far the best idea the government has had to help is to encourage businesses to move out to those areas and away from the CBD. =/

Australia is a seriously depressing place for kids lately. There's a whole bunch of other things I've been hesitant on posting on here because they're just so sad.
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 10:06 am

Still, even if you're turning to crime because you're hopeless, repeatedly beating the hell out of a crippled man is pointless sadism.
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 10:30 am

"I'm siiiiiiingin' in the rain...
Just siiiiiiiingin' in the rain..."

... Too soon?
Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

PostSubject: Re: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 10:41 am

grmblfjx wrote:
In China alone there are as many young men "surplus" as the entire young men population of the United States.

China is a very individual case, though - they had/have a one-child policy, and as the tradition is that married women live with their husbands' families, having one daughter and no sons means that as soon as the girl is married her parents have no one to look after them in their old age. This, along with the fact that having a son means more income in the first place, led to a whoole lot of abortions and baby girls being killed or given up for adoption...

I'm not saying that your point isn't valid, I'm just saying that China isn't the best example because of the one-child policy - the circumstances are much more extreme.

(Nowadays though, in most places they allow two children if the first one's female and they give rewards to parents of girls, so it's being equalised. Slowly.)

(fuck yeah gcse geography)
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 10:54 am

Seule wrote:
This, along with the fact that having a son means more income in the first place, led to a whoole lot of abortions and baby girls being killed or given up for adoption...
And sweatshops.
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 11:32 am

China is just a ball of sunshine amirite?
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 11:43 am

Seule wrote:
China is a very individual case, though - they had/have a one-child policy

The Economist wrote:
(...)
Gendercide (...) is often seen as an unintended consequence of China's one-child policy, or as a product of poverty or ignorance. But that cannot be the whole story. The surplus of bachelors (...) seems to have accelerated between 1990 and 2005, in ways not obviously linked to the one-child policy, which was introduced in 1979. And, as is becoming clear, the war against baby girls is not confined to China.

Parts of India have sex ratios as skewed as anything in its northern neighbour. Other East Asian countries -South Korea, Singapore and Taiwan- have peculiarly high numbers of male births. So, since the collapse of the Soviet Union, have former communits countries in the Caucasus and the western Balkans. Even subsets of America's population are following suit, though not the population as a whole.
The real cause (...) is not any country's particular policy but "the fateful collision between overweening son preference, the use of rapidly spreading prenatal sex-determination technology and declining fertility." These are global trends. And the selective destruction of baby girls is global, too.

The article goes on to say that, in China, it's actually the regions where exceptions can be had that the sex ratio is the highest- because if people have a girl the first time around, they accept it, knowing that they are likely to get a second chance. But then, that second child absolutely has to be a boy. Sex ratios in Beijing municipality for the rare third children reach "a hard-to-credit 275. There are almost three baby boys for every baby girl."

Adoption isn't included in the article because those girls live, even if elsewhere. The article is about girls never being born.

You can have your thread back now.

PS if anyone wants to know more about the article, let me know.
Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

PostSubject: Re: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 12:22 pm

...oop. Sorry, grumbles. Blush
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 1:13 pm

TheHermit wrote:
"I'm siiiiiiingin' in the rain...
Just siiiiiiiingin' in the rain..."

... Too soon?

No, because honestly my first thought upon seeing this was that it was just like the gang in A Clockwork Orange.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs   Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs Empty

Back to top Go down

Wheelchair-bound man brutally beaten and robbed by thugs
Page 1 of 1