Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread

Go down 
+85
Khajidu
Disco Stu
William Shakespeare
Reidmar
lemmingwriter
Lady Anne
Sunatic
Owlish
KazTarja
Nihilist
littledorrit
Kommandar
anangrychocobo
Dee
CaptainMcNeil
Spotts1701
Goat
Sakurelf
Nonsense Words
I_Lam_Edhellen
Ratchetmon
Loaf
Vilecat
Aggie
Maximilia
Reepicheep-chan
villainy
Kirby
Dr. Quinzel
Tungsten Monk
bleachedblackcat
saeku
XLT-100852.0
Snake Bandage
Verandering
Sutremaine
SlyChild
KJM
Raine
The Unoriginal
Salamas
Just Chipper
Raven
Vanilla-villa
Bamshalam
Princess
DarthDarthington
Lapin
Miss Prince
Mafiosa
Max III
Mr.Doobie
Penguin
Azzandra
Dr. Professor Science
rae
Braigwen
SirDixonDongs
Jesus.
Fairlight
fishstickhater
Somath Cegem
grmblfjx
myeerah
Mikey Go WOOGA
Sheba
spoonhead75
theweirdkind
Mae Bedlam
Lembech
Malganis
Root Admin
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Cyberwulf
Blooferlady
merryb87
EileenK98
Lurv
Hot Cancer
InkWeaver
ZoZo
Jay/Cris
Miss Misery
Delcat
Seule
89 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 6:37 am

What exactly was it that you said? Sometimes it's really easy to say something ableist without meaning to.

Did they seriously call you dumb? Because 'dumb' is an obvious ableist term. It means 'unable to speak.'
Back to top Go down
Snake Bandage
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Snake Bandage

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:52 pm

rae wrote:
What exactly was it that you said? Sometimes it's really easy to say something ableist without meaning to.

Did they seriously call you dumb? Because 'dumb' is an obvious ableist term. It means 'unable to speak.'

PFFFT are you joking? Oh my god and I thought they saying I can't use "crazy" anymore because that's ableist was fucked up.

I casually said I want to bitchslap a character. Said character happens to be a 15-year-old female. So obviously I'm a horrible person who hates women and thinks beating children with a leather belt is A-OK. Just because I use the term "bitch". What do they want me to do, use "assholeslap"? Doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely. Plus I think it's enabling non-consensual buttslapping or something.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 3:39 pm

That's not what "bitch slap" means.
Back to top Go down
Snake Bandage
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Snake Bandage

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 4:11 pm

I know what it means. It means the person's behavior warrants an infliction of pain for whatever reason, but that person is too much of an insignificant whiny douchecanoe to deserve a proper punch to the face.

But "bitch" is apparently a terrible word and I'm a terrible person for using it.

Actually this is quickly becoming a Bad Thing That Happened.
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Hunh. I always thought it was bitch-slap because the person doing the slapping was doing what women do (slap), because women don't punch. (according to stereotype)

So, if you're bitch-slapping someone, you're the bitch.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 6:30 pm

There is some argument over whether or not stupid is an ableist term. I do think a good case can be made for it being one. However, 'dumb' absolutely definitely is.

Bitch can be a sexist term, but not always (hence the magazine named 'Bitch.') I can sorta see why someone could be insulted by 'bitchslap,' though in context I doubt I would have noticed it, but if they are using ableist language to do social activism then they FAIL AT EVERYTHING.
Back to top Go down
Salamas
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Salamas

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 7:04 pm

Knight slapping is way cooler than bitch slapping, a person recovering from a knight slap will faint seven times when attempting to get back up and even then feel woozy. [/useless contribution]
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 6:33 pm

So the guy came through with my tattoo design. This is the rough sketch...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

We still have to work through colors and other finer details.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 12:37 am

You want your tattoo to be a giant dick fucking a sarlacc?
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:53 am

Penguin wrote:
You want your tattoo to be a giant dick fucking a sarlacc?

(Giggles like a twelve year old) Oh gawd, I can't unsee it now. And I thought it was pretty nifty up until now. (Okay, that's still kind of nifty)
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:59 am

rae wrote:
There is some argument over whether or not stupid is an ableist term. I do think a good case can be made for it being one. However, 'dumb' absolutely definitely is.
There is almost no good cussword (and I love me a good cussword) that isn't ~ist of some sort- sexist, misogynist, ableist, fattist, racist, you name it. It's no wonder Cyberwulf resorts to words that have to do with feces.

This annoys me.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 11:51 am

Sakurelf wrote:
Hunh. I always thought it was bitch-slap because the person doing the slapping was doing what women do (slap), because women don't punch. (according to stereotype)

So, if you're bitch-slapping someone, you're the bitch.

A bitchslap is when you backhand somebody. Referred to as a "bitchslap" because it's a joke that pimps hit their bitches like that.

It leaves more of an impact, because your knuckles are connecting with their face, instead of the softer area of the palm. Typically done while wearing rings, so that the edge of them cuts the face. It often has the desired outcome of making a person bleed.

Work smarter, not harder.

Quote :
I know what it means. It means the person's behavior warrants an infliction of pain for whatever reason, but that person is too much of an insignificant whiny douchecanoe to deserve a proper punch to the face.

But "bitch" is apparently a terrible word and I'm a terrible person for using it.

You got people coming after you because you used a term that refers to a pimp hitting a prostitute, therefore equating the character to a whore that needs to be shown her place.

And for serious, am I the only person in this thread who has lived outside of suburbia? How do you get to be an English-speaking adult and not know what "bitchslap" means, or where it comes from? You've never heard someone say "I will slap you like a bitch", or "Don't make me slap you with my ring hand," as a joke? Really?
Back to top Go down
Disco Stu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Disco Stu

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 1:21 pm

Lapin wrote:

And for serious, am I the only person in this thread who has lived outside of suburbia? How do you get to be an English-speaking adult and not know what "bitchslap" means, or where it comes from? You've never heard someone say "I will slap you like a bitch", or "Don't make me slap you with my ring hand," as a joke? Really?

I'm convinced most everyone here is middle-class sububanite. Yeah, I've heard it. Never was a suburbanite, though.

Wouldn't trade living in the ghetto with the world, despite its issues.
Back to top Go down
Kommandar

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 1:37 pm

I knew it as relating to pimps slappin' hos, but didn't make the backhand connection. I lived in suburbia, but had a cool black friend.

I ended up a Nazi.
Back to top Go down
Snake Bandage
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Snake Bandage

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 1:46 pm

Lapin wrote:

Don't assume city culture is the same everywhere. You're not likely to hear this shit where I live, and not only because a good 60 percent of the population is ultra-fundamentalist.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Snake Bandage wrote:
Lapin wrote:

Don't assume city culture is the same everywhere. You're not likely to hear this shit where I live, and not only because a good 60 percent of the population is ultra-fundamentalist.

Then don't use terms you don't know, and get pissed when people who do know what they mean get offended by the offensive meaning.
Back to top Go down
Owlish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Owlish

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Snake Bandage wrote:
Became the target of the Social Justice Crusaders today. I think they tried to accuse me of misandry and ableism? And then called me a dumb annoying asshole?

I don't know, I'm just really amused by how seriously they take my casual rage at a fictional character.
Yeah, "Social Justice Crusaders" is an oxymoron. Sounds like the internet has dropped a bunch of self-righteous asshats right into your lap; I say milk this for all it's worth.

Lapin wrote:
This board has never struck me as the most socially savvy bunch, so not all that surprising...
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:45 pm

Lapin wrote:
And for serious, am I the only person in this thread who has lived outside of suburbia?

Considering how much weight this place used to give some university faculty's 19-year-old trust fund baby's worldview... you're one of the few.
Back to top Go down
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 11:00 pm

We lived outside of suburbia until I was in college, but "bitchslap" didn't really get tossed about much. Other things (worse and mostly in Spanish) yes, but bitchslap, not so much.
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Penguin wrote:
Lapin wrote:
And for serious, am I the only person in this thread who has lived outside of suburbia?

Considering how much weight this place used to give some university faculty's 19-year-old trust fund baby's worldview... you're one of the few.

Who?
Back to top Go down
Snake Bandage
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Snake Bandage

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 1:45 pm

Lapin wrote:
Snake Bandage wrote:
Lapin wrote:

Then don't use terms you don't know, and get pissed when people who do know what they mean get offended by the offensive meaning.

But so many people use bitchslap on a daily basis and only the SJers get their panties in a knot about it.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 1:51 pm

Snake Bandage wrote:
Lapin wrote:
Snake Bandage wrote:
Lapin wrote:

But so many people use bitchslap on a daily basis and only the SJers get their panties in a knot about it.

A lot of people throw the word "gyp" around, which is racist and offensive. The only people who care about that word are the the SJers. And when people get called out on it, they reply it doesn't count, because everyone uses it, and that they're getting their panties in a knot. Or it turns out they had no idea it was offensive.

If you don't know what a slang word means, look it up before you use it.
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Lapin, you're always so kawaii desu ka.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Snake Bandage wrote:
Lapin wrote:
Snake Bandage wrote:
Lapin wrote:

Well, Snake Bandage, you could tell the "Social Justice Crusaders" (what a wonderful synonym for "the politically correct brigade", by the way Rolling Eyes ) that, with a big helping of indignation and belittling language, and then you can come back here to whine about how things have gone from bad to worse.

Or, you could just own up to the fact that you were unaware of the "pimp and whore" connotation of bitchslap and not use the term again.
Back to top Go down
Snake Bandage
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Snake Bandage

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 3:59 pm

You know what? I'll just keep using bitchslap for every occasion. Just to spite you all.

(in b4 some dickwad points my age out to me and makes me reconsider dropping "retarded" out of my vocabulary.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread   The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread - Page 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

The "Something Completely Average Happened to Me Today" thread
Page 16 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next