Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Twilight: The Death of Feminism

Go down 
+116
Merrrrrr
Drabbler
mluckw
WD40
alexis
PendragonGirl
Lurv
Adagio
kelley28
Aggie
Kirby
theromangeneral
SirDixonDongs
Raine
Xervexagon
DarthDarthington
KeyserSoze
Jesus.
Reidmar
TheHedonist
Kitbug
Yorokobi
Glen
Shingzyl
Mr.Doobie
Spooky
Sarin
Sheba
Cyberwulf
Sutremaine
Obskeree
Mikey Go WOOGA
Jay/Cris
frostflowers
Bamshalam
Knight
Nevvy
Mafiosa
Anon_Lurker
Little Egypt
Exodia's Right Leg
Braigwen
kleine_kat
Reepicheep-chan
Spotts1701
Snoof
Notomys mordax
Mr. Comic Book
Yattara
Dr. Professor Science
Q
Kevin M
Jocelyn
EileenK98
Princess Muse
Manny
Tungsten Monk
grmblfjx
moonyprof
Cactus Wren
Waffles
The Unoriginal
InkWeaver
I_Lam_Edhellen
Chaltab
gaijinguy
KGarrett
Avari
Dick Powers
Penguin
Seule
Mae Bedlam
DaiLinn
Miss Prince
Psy-4
Saleha
Tillian
szaleniec
unskilled78
bad_idea_bear
ZoZo
NastyHobbitses
Ceres
SokMunkie
Blooferlady
Fairlight
Pixi
fishstickhater
Snake Bandage
Deutschtard
Chris91
VB
Somath Cegem
KelinciHutan
anangrychocobo
Keith Fraser
Narwhal
Anathema
Verandering
Lexin
Salamas
Inciter
Sparrow
Root Admin
theweirdkind
Solitia
rae
DeeDee
Lapin
Nurvingiel
Rabid Badger
Maximilia
myeerah
Trioculus
Miss Misery
Lysander
120 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
Deutschtard
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Deutschtard

Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 5:49 pm

Well that's good then, actually. At least she's not like "OMG I WANT TO FIND MY EDWARD" Like half the 12-20something year olds in America are. I hate walking around the mall, Edward's sulkyface assaults me at all my favorite stores.

That's why I read the first three, though. I honestly just... refuse to read Breaking Dawn. I don't want to. I probably won't until the movie comes out, as I'm watching the movies just to see how well they translated. My personal opinion is they're better off as movies than books.
Back to top Go down
Lysander
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 6:11 pm

Deutschtard wrote:
That's why I read the first three, though. I honestly just... refuse to read Breaking Dawn. I don't want to. I probably won't until the movie comes out, as I'm watching the movies just to see how well they translated. My personal opinion is they're better off as movies than books.

Yeah, about that. Aside from Jacob being a werewolf and having a crush on Bella and the Camerilla knockoffs, nothing that happens in the middle two books matters. Nothing. It's all padding, so we don't jump from love straight to marriage.

And those two things that do matter? They aren't resolved. Not really. Because Meyer doesn't so much resolve her subplots, so much as disregard them once they're no longer needed.

For instance, Bella's afraid of marriage for two books, but now it's time for her to get married. How do we resolve this apparent pickle? Someone tells her not to be afraid anymore, so she's not.

Two books of buildup, half a page of resolution. And it happens a lot.
Back to top Go down
Deutschtard
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Deutschtard

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 7:27 pm

-eyeroll- Yeah, I'm really not going to waste my time reading that, now. I bet I could just watch the movie and not miss anything. I heard about the egg-making for 20 pages.

I still think we should all try to re-write Twilight the way we were talking about back there, you at the helm, Lysander. Just for our own personal brains, because it could be interesting to read about... but it's not D:
Back to top Go down
fishstickhater
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
fishstickhater

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Ugh, I could barely stomach the first book, and I stumbled my way through the second.
I think that it was morbid curiosity more than anything.

A teacher at a school I was subbing at completely adores the series. When I told her my reasons for disliking it, mainly because a. stalker behavior is not sexy and b. the age difference between the characters disturbs me, she sort of ignored me for the rest of the day. Silly Twi-moms.
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 5:50 pm

Deutschtard wrote:
Well that's good then, actually. At least she's not like "OMG I WANT TO FIND MY EDWARD" Like half the 12-20something year olds in America are. I hate walking around the mall, Edward's sulkyface assaults me at all my favorite stores.

I don't like them much either way.
Back to top Go down
Pixi

Pixi

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 12:57 pm

What concerns me the most about Twilight, and the Twilight fandom is it's giving young girls the wrong impression about relationships and men. My boyfriend's little sister thinks Edward is romantic. She thinks that what he does is normal. That worries me because she's going to set her expectations all wrong. I see no problem in people reading and liking a book, it's not my place to tell someone what they should and shouldn't like and for what reason. Also I'm not going to be a literary snob, but it's giving young girls the wrong impression on how people in relationships are supposed to act.
Back to top Go down
Fairlight
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Fairlight

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 6:20 pm

Today I discovered that copies of Wuthering Heights are available with cover art to match the Twilight series and a stamp on the front reading "Bella and Edward's favourite book."
Back to top Go down
Blooferlady
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Blooferlady

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 6:35 pm

Fairlight wrote:
Today I discovered that copies of Wuthering Heights are available with cover art to match the Twilight series and a stamp on the front reading "Bella and Edward's favourite book."
:headshot:

IT'S SEEPING INTO MY CLASSIC LIT NOOOOO! :panic:
Back to top Go down
http://blooferblog.tumblr.com
Sparrow
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 9:17 pm

Fairlight wrote:

WHAT.

Jesus, I don't even like Wuthering Heights and this still appalls me.
Back to top Go down
http://sparrow779.livejournal.com/
Solitia

Solitia

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Guh, anything to sell a book. Maybe this is the author's attempt to pass where Rowling failed at getting people to read more than just Harry Potter/Twilight?
Back to top Go down
http://cvmadison.com
SokMunkie
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
SokMunkie

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 6:17 am

I've caught my 58-year-old mother and my 31-year-old sister-in-law both reading this book series. I commented to my sister-in-law, "Edward's a stalker!" and her response was, "Yeah, but she kind of asks for it."
Back to top Go down
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lexin

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 7:42 am

I see people reading the various books of the Twlight series on the underground all the time...and I want to say 'why are you reading that, it's crap'. But I don't. At least they're reading.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mpmrommel.co.uk
Blooferlady
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Blooferlady

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 5:22 pm

Oh dear god.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Someone just shoot me now please.

Back to top Go down
http://blooferblog.tumblr.com
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 5:49 pm

I've got a better idea-- let's shoot Twilight Moonlighter instead.
Back to top Go down
Ceres
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ceres

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 6:19 pm

I... feel so sorry for RPratz...
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 6:21 pm

Join the club.
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 11:44 pm

Blooferlady wrote:
Oh dear god.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Someone just shoot me now please.

Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 724940
Back to top Go down
NastyHobbitses

NastyHobbitses

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 6:35 am

What scares me the most about the whole Wuthering Heights thing besides the obvious (are you sure some of these Twi-tards' single brain cells can handle a book with big words and a much more obviously unsympathetic protagonist?) is that now the Twilight fangirls who can handle Wuthering Heights are going to try to make it a part of the Twilight fandom or make it a standalone fandom. Cue about one million Sues vying for Heathcliff's affections.

Well, at least it's not Pride and Prejudice. That would really make me :headshot:
Back to top Go down
http://jiaren-shadow.livejournal.com
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 9:34 am

NastyHobbitses wrote:
What scares me the most about the whole Wuthering Heights thing besides the obvious (are you sure some of these Twi-tards' single brain cells can handle a book with big words and a much more obviously unsympathetic protagonist?) is that now the Twilight fangirls who can handle Wuthering Heights are going to try to make it a part of the Twilight fandom or make it a standalone fandom. Cue about one million Sues vying for Heathcliff's affections.

Well, at least it's not Pride and Prejudice. That would really make me :headshot:
Let's hope at least one of them reads Wuthering Heights and realises it's not a love story, but a really fucked-up tale of obsession.

Oh, wait, they're Twilight fans. Disregard the above.
Back to top Go down
Lysander
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 11:46 am

TEAM BUFFY! Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 831506
Back to top Go down
bad_idea_bear

bad_idea_bear

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 1:19 pm

Hee. I was just about to post that.

*wipes tears*

It's beautiful.
Back to top Go down
unskilled78
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 1:27 pm

I had this weird dream last night where Steve Buscemi was playing Edward.
Spoiler:

and, Bella was played by that big-lipped woman who was Salehas avatar shortly before the fall of HoBFF.
Back to top Go down
szaleniec
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
szaleniec

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 2:50 pm

Oh dear God Meyer's a Cassandra Claire fan. This explains so fucking much.
Back to top Go down
http://szaleniec1000.livejournal.com/
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 6:57 pm

szaleniec wrote:

Life imitating art?

Art imitating life?

GIGO (garbage in, garbage out)
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 12:01 am

szaleniec wrote:
:roflmao:

Okay, so she expresses how much she hates fanfiction, but like Cassandra Claire? WTF?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Twilight: The Death of Feminism
Page 3 of 24Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 24  Next