Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

In Which I Ask A Question About Race

Go down 
+14
Dick Powers
Somath Cegem
Waffles
Dixie
Penguin
Verandering
Tungsten Monk
Narwhal
Seule
grmblfjx
unskilled78
Chaltab
Drabbler
gaijinguy
18 posters
AuthorMessage
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

In Which I Ask A Question About Race Empty
PostSubject: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 7:56 pm

OK- race is a topic I don't like talking about, because 1) it's stupid and 2) it's a minefield. But there are times when ignoring it can really blow up in your face, and this is one of them. So, here goes. This is for the sci-fi story I'm writing.

First, a little background:
There's a police force called the Nomarchy Civil Police Caste. They form the police for several solar system, under the umbrella of (obviously) the Nomarchy. The thing is, they're all clones, built from the genetic template of a single individual. They undergo rigerous training (and occasionally plastic surgery) to present a front to the public of absolute uniformity. They're also extremely badass.

So, my problem is, what race to I make them? They're all physically identical (adjusting for age) but the problem is that, no matter what attributes I give them assholes Cyberwulf certain individuals will go out of their way to choose the most negative interpertation. If I make them Asian, for instance, it will be seen as Yellow Peril because they look alike and know martial arts. But if I make them white, it will be seen as Mighty Whitey because they're authoritative and kick tons of ass.

I'm currently dodging the question (having a dim audience surrogate is very helpful here) by having them described as "sort of turkish, I think." I figured a balkan-ish origin would be good because it's heavily mixed and has milder ethnic stereotypes associated with it, at least in this country.

Help?
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 8:13 pm

One idea would be to skip the issue by never saying; you wouldn't even need to keep physical description to a minimum, just skin color and maybe one or two other characteristics. Would the characters in the story even care so much? If not, then it becomes an entirely unnecessary detail. Either way, by not mentioning it, you put the emphasis elsewhere, onto something more important.
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 7:43 am

Make them a generic mixture of all races like the Future People from that one episode of South Park!
Back to top Go down
unskilled78
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 11:44 am

It's a shame you already started, 'cause you might have had them wear full-body armor, and use electronic voice modules. If they all wore the same design, that would create a sort of stormtrooper effect (legions of identical drones)
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 1:34 pm

unskilled78 wrote:
It's a shame you already started, 'cause you might have had them wear full-body armor, and use electronic voice modules. If they all wore the same design, that would create a sort of stormtrooper effect (legions of identical drones)

I was thinking something similar. If you have them mostly covered up by uniform, helmet, gloves etc, and then never use any attributes, you might get around it. I.e. if you say "his eyes narrowed" as opposed to "his blue eyes narrowed" and so on.
Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 3:22 pm

Uhm, or the individual who they were all cloned from could be unique - a strange genetic abnormality themselves... And therefore, of no discernable race.

:/:
Back to top Go down
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 4:33 pm

Fuck all those suggestions, pin it on the gingers.
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Go for the double whammy: make 'em Turkish, but then kit them out in body armor and face masks. Make the body armor some weird, unassuming neutral color--tan, beige, blue-gray, whatever--and then when your modern Earth person sees them, he has trouble thinking of them as menacing. Then they curb-stomp him.
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 4:27 am

Do you even need to touch on the subject at all? That is, if you're meaning "race" in the terms I think you're talking about.

Why not just describe them as completely uniform, maybe talk about one or two prominant/unusual characteristics, and let it be? The audience can imagine what they want.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 4:45 am

[x] - Other (Unspecified)

If you specify it, you'll always be playing into some sort of baggage. Badass authority figures? If they're white, they're Aryan Supermen. Clone army? If they're black, they're a law enforcement Slave Caste. Space Warriors? If they're Asian, they're Magical Ninjas/Gundam Pilots. And so on.
Back to top Go down
Dixie
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Dixie

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 10:43 am

Narwhal wrote:
Fuck all those suggestions, pin it on the gingers.
Oi!
Dixie, aka Flamin' June, a nickname which refers to my red hair, not my online posting habits.
Back to top Go down
Waffles
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Waffles

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 12:15 pm

They need to all be female because females and science fiction go well together. Science fiction is a utopia where we can get away with anything.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 12:30 pm

Penguin wrote:
[x] - Other (Unspecified)

If you specify it, you'll always be playing into some sort of baggage. Badass authority figures? If they're white, they're Aryan Supermen. Clone army? If they're black, they're a law enforcement Slave Caste. Space Warriors? If they're Asian, they're Magical Ninjas/Gundam Pilots. And so on.

Ooh! Make them Greek! I see no possible way that could be a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
Dick Powers
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Dick Powers

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Make them all white with blond hair and blue eyes, because they are prefect human beings.
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 1:27 pm

Make them green.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Yeah, if they're the police force for several solar systems, why do they have to be human?
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 8:08 pm

Miss Prince wrote:
Yeah, if they're the police force for several solar systems, why do they have to be human?

There is a very long piece of backstory which explains this. Out of story, it's the only way I could think to 1) establish a significant human presence in the very non-human galaxy and 2) showcase the alien-ness of the culture. It's one thing to have aliens behaving like aliens, but when the main character runs into humans behaving like aliens (relatively speaking; to them, he's the alien), it's going to throw him.
Back to top Go down
Wandering Critic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 8:58 pm

I'd go with minimizing the physical description, and if you do include it, perhaps make it not consistent with any conventional modern racial group. Why couldn't they have golden-tan skin, tightly kinked white hair, and emerald green eyes? The individual they were cloned from was perhaps a fortunate combination of multiple races, or maybe genengineered to look like that, whatever fits your world.
Back to top Go down
http://wanderingcritic.wordpress.com/
Melissa
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 9:48 am

Put me in with the minimal physical description group. If you don't really need it, don't use it.
Gaijinguy, your police force sounds a bit like the Clone Troopers from Star Wars. Maybe you could make them all Maori? (J/K)
Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 10:44 am

Full body armour and face masks? Maybe have only their eyes showing, to show that they're human... and make the eyes brown or something, that's probably the most common eye colour throughout all races as a whole.
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 3:49 pm

Thanks guys, the input's really helped. Here's what I'm tentatively going with:
The only physical features I'm mentioning are black hair and orange eyes. The eyes in question are actually amber, but the ambient light isn't adjusted for human vision and has a lot of red wavelengths as a result, making them look bright orange. Amber eyes do appear naturally in humans, but are so rare as to be useless as a racial trait.

Melissa wrote:
Put me in with the minimal physical description group. If you don't really need it, don't use it.
Gaijinguy,
your police force sounds a bit like the Clone Troopers from Star Wars.
Maybe you could make them all Maori? (J/K)

Well, I'm trying to go after a lot of the dumber cloning tropes that get used in bad sci-fi. A little later on in the story, we meet some exiles- clones who were expelled from the group for an unacceptable degree of nonconformity. One thing I want to illustrate is how the clones' conformity does not exist because they're clones; it exists because it's been drilled into the heads essentially from infancy, and only then as a public facade. The clones actually deviate wildly in personal habits, but that's not important in their culture; what's important is the face they present to the general public that they police. Despite sharing the same face and culture, each of them is an individual, not a product of a plot-convenient Cannon-Fodder-O-Matic.

Basically, I'm writing them this way because the "clone troopers" subplot in the Star Wars prequels pissed me off more than I can say.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In Which I Ask A Question About Race   In Which I Ask A Question About Race Empty

Back to top Go down

In Which I Ask A Question About Race
Page 1 of 1