Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge

Go down 
+12
Aggie
Chris91
Sorsa A. Jänis
Lexin
Jay/Cris
Mafiosa
KJM
Chaltab
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Raine
VB
Spotts1701
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 3:06 pm

Link

Quote :
A contestant on a Pakistani reality TV show drowned while performing a challenge for the program, a spokeswoman for the show's sponsor said Sunday.

Pakistani contestant Saad Khan, 32, was swimming across a lake while wearing a 15-pound backpack when he called out for help and then disappeared underwater, according to Fareshte Aslam, information officer for Unilever Pakistan, the show's sponsor.

Okay, the swimming part I get. But what genius decided he should have fifteen pounds of dead weight strapped to his back while he was doing it?

Quote :
Unilever Pakistan accepts no liability for Khan's death, Aslam said, but added that the company is in discussions to provide for Khan's wife and four children "out of rightness."

"We don't want her suing our sorry asses, so we'll pay off some hush money and call it square."
Back to top Go down
VB
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
VB

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 3:36 pm

Part of my lifeguard certification test was being able to carry a 50 lb weight from the bottom of 12 foot pool to the surface and over to the side. I distinctly remember how I hovered about three inches below the surface, kicking as hard as I could (a competitive swimmer of over three years) and it took me a good ten seconds before I was able to finally break the surface.

15 lbs for an inexperienced or amateur swimmer? Honestly, what the hell were they thinking?
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 6:18 pm

KHAAAAAAAAAAN!!
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:38 am

Geez, maybe having it as a challenge is acceptable - but you'd think they'd have somebody in a boat close-by in case they got into trouble. By close by I mean right next to them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 12:38 pm

There is no way they should have done a task that involves swimming without trained rescue workers around who could save someone who couldn't handle the weight. What were they thinking?
Back to top Go down
KJM
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 12:51 pm

Couldn't he have just taken the weight off?
Back to top Go down
http://kennethmrrw502.blogspot.com/
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 1:04 pm

KJM wrote:

Moot point, really.
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 1:36 pm

Quote :
Khan had already been eliminated in the as-yet-unnamed show's previous rounds, but had returned for a special challenge to earn a spot in the finals.

Oof, there´s some bitter tastin´ irony for ya. There´s a ´final´-pun in there, somewhere, but I'm far too classy to make it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lexin

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 1:37 pm

KJM wrote:
Depends how deep the water was and how tired he was when he started to get into trouble.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mpmrommel.co.uk
Sorsa A. Jänis
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sorsa A. Jänis

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 1:47 pm

Chaltab wrote:
There is no way they should have done a task that involves swimming without trained rescue workers around who could save someone who couldn't handle the weight. What were they thinking?
That's exactly my thoughts.

Well, drama sells quite well. Maybe it was only for the profit. :lolinsane:
Back to top Go down
http://sunbeamattack.deviantart.com/
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 5:45 pm

VB wrote:
Part of my lifeguard certification test was being able to carry a 50 lb weight from the bottom of 12 foot pool to the surface and over to the side. I distinctly remember how I hovered about three inches below the surface, kicking as hard as I could (a competitive swimmer of over three years) and it took me a good ten seconds before I was able to finally break the surface.

15 lbs for an inexperienced or amateur swimmer? Honestly, what the hell were they thinking?

They weren't. No
Back to top Go down
Aggie
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 4:13 am

First reaction: Oh, how horrible. What a terrible way to die.

Second reaction: Of course the company is going to pay off the family; they were responsible for his death, after all.

Third reaction: Waaaaait a second...maybe he discussed this with his wife beforehand and this is all just an elaborate plot for the wife and kids to get more money out of the production that he ever would have gotten by competing and failing (which he had done beforehand).

...that's it; no more internet for me. I am becoming far too jaded. Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge 309696
Back to top Go down
bikini zebra

bikini zebra

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 2:29 pm

Aggie wrote:
First reaction: Oh, how horrible. What a terrible way to die.

Second reaction: Of course the company is going to pay off the family; they were responsible for his death, after all.

Third reaction: Waaaaait a second...maybe he discussed this with his wife beforehand and this is all just an elaborate plot for the wife and kids to get more money out of the production that he ever would have gotten by competing and failing (which he had done beforehand).

...that's it; no more internet for me. I am becoming far too jaded. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

oh jeez. a faked death! haha. maybe it's all a publicity stunt from the producers.

seriously, though. someone died.
Back to top Go down
Knorg
Behind Blue Eyes
Behind Blue Eyes
Knorg

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 2:37 pm

Did he go down well with viewers?
Back to top Go down
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lexin

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 3:38 pm

Knorg wrote:
I'd no idea they ate him. You learn something new every day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mpmrommel.co.uk
Aggie
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 4:17 pm

bikini zebra wrote:
oh jeez. a faked death! haha. maybe it's all a publicity stunt from the producers.

You know, I hadn't even thought of that one; however, it seems rather unlikely. Wouldn't that require a metric fuckton of planning that could easily go wrong at any point?

Unless, of course, you think that that's what I meant (which it's not). What I said was that there was a tiny inkling that he chose to drown because the hush money the production company would undoubtedly pay the wife would be far more than he could ever earn himself. But when you read the last line of my post you see that I rejected that extremely pessimistic thought nearly immediately.
Back to top Go down
Knorg
Behind Blue Eyes
Behind Blue Eyes
Knorg

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 11:38 am

Lexin wrote:
Knorg wrote:
I'd no idea they ate him. You learn something new every day.

The lungs were a delicacy.
Back to top Go down
Waffles
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Waffles

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 10:07 am

Of course a man would drown during the challenge. He's bred to not swim properly. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 10:26 am

Waffles wrote:
Of course a man would drown during the challenge. He's bred to not swim properly.

Of course a woman would float during the challenge. She's bred with built in flotation devices.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge   Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge Empty

Back to top Go down

Reality Show Contestant Drowns During Challenge
Page 1 of 1