Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck Empty
PostSubject: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck EmptyTue May 22, 2012 11:27 am

It ain't that cool.

Short version: Don't buy this game.

Long version: Don't fucking buy this goddamn piece of shit. It's the Kane and Lynch 2 of Resident Evil.

Because when I think "Capcom should rip off L4D and Team Fortress 2," I think "Cover-based shooting needs to be forced in, too." That is, mostly as an afterthought.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

99% of the game right here. You shoot somebody, he flinches, you shoot him some more, somebody else shoots you. Because the cover system is a fucking joke. Your character automatically takes cover when pushed up against something. They'll even squash against a wall if you run along it. But...

Without a specifically-defined "cover" zone, i.e. "press X and you take cover on this thing with specific boundaries," you can be "in cover" crouched behind something with only a few inches of your ass protected.

The POV is wonky:

Yes, because I totally wanted to shoot that crate.

GOD DAMMIT

Note that your only indicator of health is that little compass tucked away in the corner of the screen. Other than that, tiny damage indicators. If you've ever played a cover-based shooter before, you're probably used to regenerating health. This game still relies on herbs and sprays for healing, but doesn't give you much warning when you're completely fucked up and are about to die horribly.

And when you die, your teammates can revive you, as long as they're human. When you are downed, you immediately get the Resident Evil YOU ARE DEAD screen, and then spectate until someone revives you or all human players are killed. Also when knocked "down but not out," you lose all your shit.

When a teammate revives you, they don't revive you so much as respawn you in place, apparently. So if you die because this game doesn't really do much to let you know if you're on the verge of death before you charge into a firefight against a numerically superior force of stupidly overpowered enemies (more on that later), you drop whatever weapon you might've picked up, along with all your grenades, health, and antiviral sprays.

These are not dropped into the game environment. They simply cease to exist. Additionally, there is one absurd benefit to dying on purpose: You get revived at 50% health and refilled ammo for your default weapons. As long as you die in a place where a teammate can safely revive you and haven't picked up a weapon, there really isn't much reason not to. Especially if you died because you were out of ammo and running around at 10% health.

What about your bot buddies?

The teammate AI is such that I will never speak ill of the L4D AI ever again. To give you an idea of how retarded they are, I once picked up a heavy machine gun, activated my incendiary ammo ability, and hosed an oncoming horde of zombies. The AI teammate I hated the most, Beltway, would routinely wander back and forth through my slow, steady hail of fiery death and tell me to watch it. Friendly fire IS on, by the way, so teammates do take damage from this. On Normal or Hard you can expect to be reviving your AI teammates constantly, as they wander in front of your fire, completely fail to hurt the enemy, and often set themselves on fire with environmental hazards.

Speaking of zombies, you and your allies can get INFECTED!!11 now. This is what the antiviral sprays are for. If you get infected, your screen becomes more and more bullshit until you lose control of your character and they run around attacking teammates. Only one character carries an antiviral spray by default, so if she's not on your team and the guy who found an antiviral spray dies, you're SOL. Better to just kill your teammate and revive them.

Human enemies are crazy overpowered. It takes an entire assault rifle magazine to take down a spec ops soldier, you aren't nearly so durable, and there are more of them than there are you. Even powerful, well-placed shots don't help much. I picked up a bolt-action sniper rifle and shot one in the head. He needed another headshot to get the point. Then his four buddies advanced and hosed me down.

Other annoyances: Mouse acceleration (for that thumbstick feel all PC gamers want in their shooters) and Games for Windows LIVE.

Sync kills in melee weren't given much thought. Press Q for a weak but spammable melee attack. Press E to follow-up with an execution. Or hammer E repeatedly to constantly switch to the weapon you're standing on while he cuts you to ribbons.

Oh, and there's a delightful bug that makes the game's sound cut out for no reason. It may return on its own in a minute, or you might have to alt-tab and play with the volume slider (specific settings not necessary) before it goes OH DUH and clicks back on.
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Reidmar

Location : A string of Code in the Interwebz( IF living = true input ragequit)

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck EmptyTue May 22, 2012 1:05 pm

My thoughts: "Why the fuck would anyone even consider looking at this game?"

a friend: "OMG DUUUDE THEY MADE A RESIDENT EVIL RACCOON CITY OUTBREAK!" Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck 57786

Me: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck 724940
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck EmptyTue May 22, 2012 3:38 pm

I kinda wish I could say "I told you so" because the Resident Evil series died after RE2 (Barring a possible momentary resurrection in RE4 which was, what, 6? 8? games removed from RE3?) but I genuinely didn't know that this was a thing.

I'm not surprised, though. RE has has at least 2 rail shooters already and didn't it have a godawful 4player online game once already before L4D arrived? I think it was Outbreak. I'm sure I owned it, and I'm sure I played it once and then ignored it because the on-line multiplayer was utterly unsupported in the UK, and even if it was supported, it was a shit game anyway.

Still, you'd have thought with L4D, the ME3 online modes and Online Uncharted this game had enough out there to show them how to do it right - But instead Capcom apparently looked at fucking Mindjack and said: "YES! THIS IS WHAT WE NEED TO EMULATE!"

Jesus.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck EmptyTue May 22, 2012 3:40 pm

Aside from your description of the piss-poor execution, I like the idea that you can catch the zombie virus. That's a nifty wrinkle of a status ailment.
Back to top Go down
Kevin M
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Kevin M

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 1:45 pm

I'll play devil's advocate and say this game isn't that bad. That's not to say that it is one of the better entries in the RE series, which it isn't, but fun can be had from it. If you have a couple of friends, nothing to do for a few hours, and want to pass some time then this game is for you. Just make sure you rent it, because there is no way that this game warrants the sixty dollar price tag.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 2:35 pm

That's an awfully specific set of circumstances to make the game worthwhile. Nope, it's still terrible.
Back to top Go down
Kevin M
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Kevin M

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Penguin wrote:
That's an awfully specific set of circumstances to make the game worthwhile. Nope, it's still terrible.

It ain't a master piece by any stretch of the imagination, but fun can be had with it. It's a weekend rental at most, and a good way for a group of friends to wast a few hours.

Nothing more, and nothing less.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck Empty

Back to top Go down

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon Clusterfuck
Page 1 of 1